NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK - People's Friend

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Caroline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UK - People's Friend
    Posted: 17 May 2018 at 5:23am
Hi - any writers on here ever managed to break into the steely vaults of People's Friend and have a story accepted? It's very formulaic and I don't rate the writing (most of it), but they pay quite healthy amounts and payment is on acceptance. Just wondering if anyone here has cracked the code.
NYCNewbie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYCNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Caroline Caroline wrote:

Hi - any writers on here ever managed to break into the steely vaults of People's Friend and have a story accepted? It's very formulaic and I don't rate the writing (most of it), but they pay quite healthy amounts and payment is on acceptance. Just wondering if anyone here has cracked the code.

Do folks still read that Caroline? Worked in a newsagents in my teens and remember it well, but can't recall seeing it recently!!

Paula x

sarahvdan View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarahvdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 9:57pm
They do, I picked one up to have a look. Oh my. This is from the guidelines about what their readers want: They like being entertained — and dislike being depressed. They like realistic material, but not so realistic — with sex, violence, drugs, drink, etc — that they are frightened or saddened.

Not sure this one's for me :-)
Emergency Toast, the blog of Sarah Daniels
Caroline View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Caroline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 3:33pm
Paula - Yes! Believe it or not, it seems to be thriving. They print weekly, as well as lot of fiction specials.

Sarah - the guidelines even say "don't think your story will break the mould - it won't" lol They are very upfront about being formulaic and knowing what they want. But, if you can deliver it, it pays well and they pay on acceptance which isn't always the norm.

I've sent 2 stories in the past which have been rejected and am just wondering if I can be bothered to try again. Perhaps I should send my round 2 story which was about lesbian sexual harassment :-)
NYCNewbie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYCNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Caroline Caroline wrote:

Paula - Yes! Believe it or not, it seems to be thriving. They print weekly, as well as lot of fiction specials.

Sarah - the guidelines even say "don't think your story will break the mould - it won't" lol They are very upfront about being formulaic and knowing what they want. But, if you can deliver it, it pays well and they pay on acceptance which isn't always the norm.

I've sent 2 stories in the past which have been rejected and am just wondering if I can be bothered to try again. Perhaps I should send my round 2 story which was about lesbian sexual harassment :-)

Go for it! What have you got to lose?

Mwah! Work has been hell so far this week! Hope you're doing OK? Can't wait until Friday then I get a week off and can get to editing and writing for a whole week!

Paula x

Caroline View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caroline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 3:48am
Go for it! What have you got to lose?

Mwah! Work has been hell so far this week! Hope you're doing OK? Can't wait until Friday then I get a week off and can get to editing and writing for a whole week!

Paula x

Well, I'd lose my postage for a start as I don't think they would read past paragraph 1 of Silly Milly! Might give it a final go over the summer with a new story. Sounds like you need some time off, so hope the weather holds for you.

Edited by Caroline - 23 May 2018 at 3:51am
fronny View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fronny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 3:31pm
I have sent around four or five stories to the PF. They were quite nice about the last one and said they were interested but the plot had been lost in the disconnect. That was perfectly true and useful feedback. I have rewritten it and sent it around a week ago. Fingers crossed!
Caroline View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caroline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 8:08am
Definitely fingers crossed. Let us know how you get on.
 Post Reply Post Reply