NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Uh, what is a junket??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ruthmac92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Uh, what is a junket??
    Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 12:20am
Hey all,

I am in group 20, and got PolSat/A junket/A cough drop. 

Junket is the location. I looked it up, and all I can find is some kind of dessert?? Is this an American term for something?

Please help Cry
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 12:21am
Like a bunch of old folks signing up to go on a bus trip to Las Vegas for a weekend 
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 12:23am
The trip is the junket, some others might be a flight to florida or something.

ruthmac92 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ruthmac92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 12:25am
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Like a bunch of old folks signing up to go on a bus trip to Las Vegas for a weekend 

So like, a holiday?

Seems like a weird choice for location, but anyway...

Thanks for the help! Now I'm going to go cry in a corner because I got political satire...
bluevervain View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluevervain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 12:31am
"Junket" also has a more obvious pol sat connection. Look up "press junket." Come to think of it, I've only ever heard the word "junket" as part of "press junket." 
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 12:33am
I have heard of it as we're off on a gambling junket, or we are taking a junket to Mexico, it can be loosely used as any trip for a vacation or for the press I guess. It seems perfectly suited to the PS.

Edited by Suave - 09 Oct 2021 at 12:34am
GenieAZ View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenieAZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 12:37am
A junket is a trip that is typically underwritten by someone who wants something from the person taking the trip.  Like, a drug company paying for politicians to go to the Bahamas for a conference on "pricing."  It's really a way to give them a vacation and get access for them to hear your political talking points.  See also, politicians that take trips to Paris on the taxpayers dime to spend an hour studying the Metro, and a week eating their way across the city.

NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 12:52am
In film industry terms, a junket usually means a Press Junket. You have an event, like the American Film Market (AFM). Vendors, like the studios, buy booths or "spaces." During the course of the event, they hold press junkets where actors from their films... or directors... or producers... come and sit and are interviewed by a barrage of foreign press correspondents and other reporters. I've sat in on many of these things in my time, and they are long, tedious and boring. Inevitably, you get one a-hole reporter who wants to ask inappropriate questions and it makes life really difficult when an actor declares they're going to leave (before they're supposed to). You can have a lot of fun with this, actually, in that you could have a highly controversial actor (or actress) who's agreed to sit in on the Press Junket for a new film, but all the press want to ask is questions about some scandalous thing in that person's life. The fireworks can really fly.
ruthmac92 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ruthmac92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 2:26am
Thanks everyone for the help. This is way out of my usual writing comfort zone (I love a good action/adventure/romcom). But I guess that's why we do this competition, right??
iress View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 9:30am
Originally posted by ruthmac92 ruthmac92 wrote:

Thanks everyone for the help. This is way out of my usual writing comfort zone (I love a good action/adventure/romcom). But I guess that's why we do this competition, right??

My understanding of a junket aligns with NilesPerry's description. 

You might know the movie "Notting Hill" with Hugh Grant & Julia Roberts where she's  "playing" an actress and Grant is a "regular guy" and they fall in love. Near the beginning she invites him to her hotel where she's undergoing a "junket."  That might help you visualize. 

Best of luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>