NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Two days in the life of an NYCM contestant

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidle_by Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 5:20pm
The first NYCM comp I entered, I was in Australia and the prompt came out at 4pm. Since then, I've been in the UK and it drops at 5am, which actually works better for me. For a standard '2 day' comp, my routine is something like this

1. Wake up at 5am and check prompt. Screenshot prompt because I'll probably forget. If I'm working, I get up and start my day. If I'm not working, I doze for another hour or so while I day dream
2. Wake up, usually with an idea of some kind. Bounce ideas off my Alphas. Characters are the thing I come up with first, so I usually have the star players figured out. If i'm lucky, I write a draft over my morning coffee. If I'm not lucky, I pretend to write but really just drink the coffee
3. If I have a draft, it goes to the Alphas. Then I walk the dog and go about my day.
4. Afternoon day one I may or may not have a fairly solid draft, if I do I start passing it to betas and I do beta reading in turn. If I don't I procrastinate because the terror of last minute deadlines will give me life
5. Day 2 is either procrastination or beta reading. Usually I end up with something a few hours before deadline, which I submit

I've had a few that have been last minute rushes when I've been working, and one or two where the ideas just wouldn't flow, but mostly it seems to go okay!!
Jayda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 3:36pm
This will be my very first go at, not just this particular contest, but flash fiction in general. And your process seems like the most likely for me. Tongue
Here for a good time, not for you
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 3:04pm
Ha, I just posted a response to a similar question in the screenwriting forum!

I’m at a huge advantage with my time zone in Alaska. The prompts drop at 8PM Friday night. 

1. Several hours before the prompts drop, I remind my husband and daughters that I will need them around at 8PM that night to brainstorm with me. It absolutely helps me to talk through ideas.

2. Prepare a nice late dinner for the family if time allows. The better the food, and the more food there is, the longer they are trapped at the table with me for said brainstorming session.

3. My husband tells me “Here’s what you should write.” He lays out some elaborate plot.

4. I tell him all the reasons his plot won’t work. Then I tell him “What about . . .?”

5. He tells me all the reasons my plot won’t work.

6. Kids jump in and tell me their plot ideas. We all go back and forth for a while.

7. Repeat steps 3-6 several times.

8. Somewhere in all the “that won’t work!” talk, the real idea is carved out.

9. Husband gets all annoyed that I skewed his idea when really that idea would have been the next Hollywood blockbuster or NYT bestseller. 

10. If steps 1-9 don’t work on Friday, repeat on Saturday.

11. Ignore family for the rest of the weekend while I write. 

12. Beta as much as time allows.

13. Revise like crazy.

14. Write title, synopsis, and submit.

15. Change one word in paragraph 3. Resubmit.

16. Change word back to original word. Resubmit.

17. Repeat steps 15 and 16 several times.

18. Submit final copy at 7:58 pm Sunday (one minute before deadline.)

19. Reintroduce myself to my family. Memorize day that results come out and take on other writing projects to try not to obsess too much until then.

Good luck, everyone, especially those writing this weekend!

-Alex 
Screenplay R1 Autocorrect
Flash Fiction 2020: 8th place overall
MuffinMom View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MuffinMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 5:50pm
For the 100 word microfiction challenge, I read the prompts before bed and thought about them.

Got up, wrote my story to my satisfaction.

Adult daughter who's living with us gets up, and I have her read it.

Her comment: "There's still time left today. You could write another one!"

Hint taken. Whole new story written. Way better.
LAL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 12:40am
What?  I could've had reviewers working with me on my 24 hour, 100-word Microfiction? It never occurred to me. This was my first competition and getting it submitted was all I could think of.  

I need to start lining up my editors. The 2nd round is approaching and what if I make the cut?

-Ann
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 6:35am
Originally posted by td333777 td333777 wrote:

11. I alternate between writing and procrastinating for 10 hours, 40 minutes.
12. First draft done around 20-30 minutes from submission deadline.
13. I scream "HOW CAN ANYONE BE DONE EARLY ENOUGH FOR BETA READERS AND EDITS?"

LOLLOLLOL

Every time. Every time! 
For mine I have to add, think of an idea that is completely over the top for the word count limit and try and make it work in my mind for far too long, then start something else.
SSc Ch3 Bad Lovely Road
SSt R1 Will
RichmondRoad View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichmondRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 7:07am
Gee.
I have no ‘process’. I just try and write a story.
If I had 3 minutes or 3 decades the ‘process’ would be the same. 
I set up a date between a pencil and a piece of paper. I provide the wine and chocolates. After that I try not to dictate how they behave together. The less control I have the better, in fact.
History suggests, of course, that this vague formula is not the way to progress far in ‘writing’ competitions. And I accept that reality, however nice it may be to make the next round.
Unfortunately, without some kind of gun to my head, I struggle to write even a decent shopping list. I doubt that I am alone among this group.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 7:11am
Originally posted by RichmondRoad RichmondRoad wrote:

Gee.
I have no ‘process’. I just try and write a story.
If I had 3 minutes or 3 decades the ‘process’ would be the same. 
I set up a date between a pencil and a piece of paper. I provide the wine and chocolates. After that I try not to dictate how they behave together. The less control I have the better, in fact.
History suggests, of course, that this vague formula is not the way to progress far in ‘writing’ competitions. And I accept that reality, however nice it may be to make the next round.
Unfortunately, without some kind of gun to my head, I struggle to write even a decent shopping list. I doubt that I am alone among this group.

Yours does not seem all that different to mine - cept you don't have a pet monkey and an electric typewriter.
RichmondRoad View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RichmondRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 7:16am
‘I just try and write a story’ ... oh, dear ... I don’t edit much, either. But if I did edit just a tiny bit I would just try TO write a story.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic