NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How/When do you write?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keyeski38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How/When do you write?
    Posted: 21 Jul 2006 at 7:59am
    Hey All,

This is my second year in the contest. I'm wondering from those of you who've competed before, how and when did you do your best writing last year.

I finished my script on Thursday and hated it. After calling in sick to work on Friday, I wrote a second script I was happy with and won my heat.

Any similar experiences?
Suzie Q View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzie Q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2006 at 8:11am
I spread my work out pretty well all week long, before and after my regular workdays, then did a mad sprint on Saturday. I remember being all jacked up on Dancing Goats coffee and it took a l o n g time to unwind once I got the script in the mail...
continue to learn. appreciate your friends.
do what you love. live as if this is all there is.
- mary anne radmacher
Chris Messineo View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Messineo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2006 at 11:37am
Originally posted by keyeski38 keyeski38 wrote:

Hey All,

This is my second year in the contest. I'm wondering from those of you who've competed before, how and when did you do your best writing last year.

I finished my script on Thursday and hated it. After calling in sick to work on Friday, I wrote a second script I was happy with and won my heat.

Any similar experiences?

First, that is an amazing recovery, pulling out an entirely new script on the last day.

I tried to write mine all week, but didn't start writing until Thursday. I'm hoping this year inspiration will strike sooner.

Chris

ABEAR111 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABEAR111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2006 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by keyeski38 keyeski38 wrote:

Hey All,

Any similar experiences?

I'll let you know next year.
Kyle Milligan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyle Milligan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 7:08pm
I find the key is a workspace that is free of clutter and distraction... which is why I've had my most clarity up at a cottage where there's nothing of my regular life to distract me.

Also, my best ideas come to me in the bathroom in the morning when I'm barely awake and/or not preoccupied with anything else.

I don't generally find it easy yet to read out my entire scripts aloud, but you'd be surprised what doesn't sound natural once you try saying it.

gloriana1999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gloriana1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 8:31pm
Hi everyone.  I find my inspiration late at night, after everyone else has gone to bed.  There I not only unwind, but I put on some soft music (Michael Bubel is pretty good), and I can generally get something written.  Not always good, but something, anything is better than nothing. 
I also dream a lot. 

One day, I hope one of the 20 or so scripts I've written will find their way to the screen (big or little).

MeaningLess View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeaningLess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 10:33pm
I write best like Thoreau says - I think it was Thoreau, "...when the iron is hot..."  I walk with digital recorder, pen and pad and whenever the inspiration hits me - no matter where I am or what's going on - I write.  I'm blessed enough to have a night job; so, there's no one working with me and I have slots of free time. 
I always research my topics to some degree.  I need to feel like I know something about what I'm writing and I love splashing a little fact in my fiction.  Once I research, I start brainstorming.  The idea usually stands out way above the rest.  Then I start writing.  Almost all my stuff is character driven; so, I come up with some interesting characters next.  I come up with the ending, then the beginning, and just fill in the gap(s).  I have bad habit of rambling or taking one or two points too far, making the story too long which hurts when I'm on a deadline because I end up having to cut out a lot of stuff and cramming the ending.  That's exactly what happened to me this time around.  This is my 1st screenplay contest, but I've done some peotry and short story contests. Screenplays are more difficult for me, by far.
"Meaningless, meaningless, all is meaningless, says the teacher..."
duduckindy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duduckindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 2:09am

This is my second year as well.

2004 - Received the genre/topic and brainstormed four different loglines - then brainstormed who each of them might develop.  Went with one and had it completed within 24 hours - just had basic editing and trimming to make it fit the 20 pages.

2006 - Brainstormed my story line driving home from a friends after I received my genre/topic.  Fell asleep thinking about how the script would develop.  Wrote the script on Saturday, with some revisions on Sunday, then I put it away until Wednesday night when I re-read it and made some last minute adjustments.

So - I guess the meat of my work comes immediately after the topic is released - and my revisions/adjustments come later.  I guess if I make it to the final round - that strategy might pay off? 

:)

Have a good one everybody!

Jeff

"A man is the sum of his actions, of what he has done, nothing more."
richke View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 4:15am
well i didnt particiapte last uyear, but now that this comp is underway i can tell you how i did it  :)

Well i wrote, sunday, tuesday and wednesday and came up with a pretty good sotyr...but i was hurting after writing it...ended up having to start over and i wrote my second story of 20 pages in less than 10 hours...so i think in this case i wrote better under pressure...not that my fiurst was bad...but it wasnt as easy to write.  Big smile
durden7 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote durden7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2006 at 11:36am
I read my assignment as soon as it was posted, then researched to make sure I understood exactly what I was writing about. I had a fairy tale... which sucks, so I headed to Wikipedia online and got as solid a definition as possible. When I felt as though I understood, I wrote my understanding down ina journal and started adding notes.

I kept the journal with me at all times.

I started with possibilities. I spent the first three days jotting notes and a basic story arc, then on Tuesday I wrote the into and came up with character names. I had everything but the end written in about 2 days, and then started polishing it bit by bit until the end rolled around. I was finished Friday.

Then I realized I misunderstood that the competition wasn't done Friday night, but Saturday night.

I gave it more time on saturday. I felt pretty good about it (as good as could be expected) and submitted it around 11:00 on Saturday.

I guess I was well spaced out. Very comfortable. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic