FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The biggest idiot on this green earth.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The biggest idiot on this green earth.
    Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 9:36am
Thanks everyone! We'll see if I get DQ'ed. Sure hope not, but I take full responsibility if I do. It was late when I looked at the prompts and I didn't even think to check if a Crossing Guard was something different. It's not the first time I've made a stupid mistake like that...

@Aeleahy, did you end up emailing NYCM about the timezone mess up? Like @Nimhathuna said... what do you have to lose sending them an email?

Cheers,

-Max
Nimhathuna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 8:59am
Originally posted by RiBoMex RiBoMex wrote:

Ask them and explain the situation. The same thing happened to me last year. I sent a message on the forum and an email explaining the situation. The organisers were kind enough to let me send the script by email; it was read and accepted (actually made it to the following round).

So go for it!

Good advice, particularly given the different time zones in the competition. Send an email. What have you got to lose?
Nimhathuna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 8:56am
Originally posted by g_howie g_howie wrote:

Originally posted by maxbjork maxbjork wrote:

I think I might have you beat in the idiot department. One of my prompts was "Crossing Guard."

I thought a Crossing Guard was the same thing as a Border Guard -- basically any crossing. Had no idea it was the people working outside schools on crosswalks. Learned that today... Hahah. I sent an email. Hope I'm not disqualified for it.

-Max

Not sure if this is UK wide, but in Scotland, we call the people outside schools on crossings 'Lollypop women/men" LOL They usually wear a high vis jacket and hold a comically large 'stop' sign. I'm sure they won't disqualify you! Fingers crossed!

In Ireland, we call them lollipop men and women too. A crossing guard is open to interpretation. I'd say you're fine. Any crossing guard would work, railway, school, and border etc. It's the same term. Best of luck!
g_howie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g_howie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 4:15am

I think I might have you beat in the idiot department. One of my prompts was "Crossing Guard."

I thought a Crossing Guard was the same thing as a Border Guard -- basically any crossing. Had no idea it was the people working outside schools on crosswalks. Learned that today... Hahah. I sent an email. Hope I'm not disqualified for it.

-Max

Not sure if this is UK wide, but in Scotland, we call the people outside schools on crossings 'Lollypop women/men" LOL They usually wear a high vis jacket and hold a comically large 'stop' sign. I'm sure they won't disqualify you! Fingers crossed!
Zounds View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 12:04am

There are many schools in this country where it is not possible to walk to school, so I'm sure you are not the only one who never saw a crossing guard. And it's not like  they are in the newspaper. 

R1 Gr28 Good Deeds

R1 Gr112 Little Boxes
ross_c View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ross_c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 7:53pm
Hey Max,

This is my first time submitting to NYC Midnight so take this with a grain of salt, but I've been pouring over the rules and regs all week and I'm pretty sure your interpretation of crossing guard will be accepted.

On the FAQ page, the question "How do I know if I'm using the subject in the correct way?" is answered by giving both literal and more imaginative interpretations of spare change (i.e. "loose coins" or "a spare change of clothes"/"spare tire"). The latter two work because you can interpret the words spare and change separately.

Of course, I'm assuming crossing guard wasn't your subject but your character. Still, I think as long as it's clear your character is someone who guards a crossing, you'll be fine. You might even gain points for originality.
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 6:03pm

-Max
emw95 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emw95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 3:06pm
I submitted my script then realized the title page didn't save with the pdf. Resubmitted but then realized I accidentally saved a different one-page Final Draft script as a pdf with the name of my R1 script and submitted that by mistake. Realized right away and finally submitted the right script with the title page but am concerned it might have been 12 on the dot when that happened. I emailed them and I'm hoping they'll read the right one or at least the first one without the title page since the second one is just a single page I didn't go anywhere with, so not much to comment on. Feeling terrible about this :(
RiBoMex View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote RiBoMex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 12:16pm
Ask them and explain the situation. The same thing happened to me last year. I sent a message on the forum and an email explaining the situation. The organisers were kind enough to let me send the script by email; it was read and accepted (actually made it to the following round).

So go for it!
SC2021 R1G67
SC2021 R2G12
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 5:22am
Originally posted by Aeleahy Aeleahy wrote:

So I finished my script, edited it twice and was a little worried about being behind schedule. I then go to upload at 11:35PM thinking ok, still not the latest I could be but I love the script. Then the big one hits... I am in Los Angeles. 

KILL MEEEEEE...

One thing I have learned to do is be able to plug your smart phone 
to your comp, by either bluetooth or usb, and use the internet through 
your phone - well that works if you have a laptop because it is battery
powered as well, but it will work on your desk top just as long as you 
have power but the internet is out.
Really worth investigating how to do it, not that hard once you figure 
out the ins and outs of it. Most of the work is finding the settings on 
your phone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic