NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Round 2 FF Drop Outs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kizernix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Round 2 FF Drop Outs
    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 8:31am
It seems like there have been quite a few drop outs in round 2 of the Flash challenge.  I've noticed in our group (46) that in round 1 we had 9 stories in the Master List and now only have 5.  I'm assuming several of the people in our group decided to not write this round.  Dead

Anyone else seeing the same thing in their groups?  
SS1:The Jewelry Box of Hildegard von Dideritz
SS2:The Silverfish
claviercat View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claviercat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 9:12am
I've been wondering about that. I'm curious about whether they've actually dropped out or have just chosen not to post. I considered not posting this round. 
Please read my Challenge #3 story: https://forums.nycmidnight.com/ch-3-gr-12-honeymoon-at-the-end-of-the-earth_topic30718.html
claviercat View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claviercat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 9:22am
I went back and checked on my group - two people who posted last time didn't this time. One of them placed second in our heat for the first challenge. Unless some life circumstance got in the way, I can't imagine that she would have dropped out, so I'm guessing she just chose not to post this time. 
Please read my Challenge #3 story: https://forums.nycmidnight.com/ch-3-gr-12-honeymoon-at-the-end-of-the-earth_topic30718.html
amlewi08 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlewi08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 10:13am
ehhh, only two of us from my group posted first challenge, and the second person's was posted pretty late.  Currently only me again.  So allloooonnnneeeeee

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 11:03am
Likewise! Three people from my group posted their first stories and then disappeared. One thing that makes me sad about the huge number of entrants that this contest has shot up to, is that we all have so few people posting within our own groups, and for me the fun is always to see what other people came up with along the same concepts/assignments. At least I'm not the only poster in my group!! Maybe NYC Midnight should put double the number of people in each group, but also move twice the number of people (per group) onto the next round. The herd is too thinned out. 
alpaca_shearer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alpaca_shearer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

Maybe NYC Midnight should put double the number of people in each group, but also move twice the number of people (per group) onto the next round. The herd is too thinned out. 

I think 60 people writing off the same 3 set of prompts would be a bit too redundant for those having to do the judging. 
td333777 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote td333777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 6:04pm
This is pretty normal for the second challenge—lots of people (particularly ones that got zeros in Challenge One) don’t post for the second.  If you make it to the third challenge, however, you’ll see a big uptick in forum participation per heat (not uncommon to have 8-9 stories posted in any one heat).  I think one Challenge 3 heat last year had 12 out of the 25 writers post (third challenge has 25 writers per, instead of 30-31.)  That third challenge is a different animal, because the massive field of writers is cut down to 500-600 (from 3500) so the people still in are typically more confident in their stories and more excited to share them.

Trey

Edited by td333777 - 28 Sep 2019 at 6:05pm
SSC 2021 R1 G142 Fair Fight
FFC 2020 - 7th place
SSC 2018 - 2nd place
FFC 2017 - 1st
Hepburn82 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hepburn82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 9:12am
[QUOTE=td333777]This is pretty normal for the second challenge—lots of people (particularly ones that got zeros in Challenge One) don’t post for the second. 

I didn't post for the second challenge, but I still participated. As td333777 mentioned, my story didn't receive any points for the first round. 

Ugh, I don't know how to explain myself without sounding like a conceited @$$! Screw it. Think of me what you will. 

Some of the feedback I gave last round was about character development. (I wasn't mean, but I was honest and direct. That's the kind of feedback I like to receive, so that is what I offer. That's how you grow, right?) I don't think it was well-received. In return, that writer offered some critiques of my story that I didn't agree with and I had no problem saying as much. (With such a short word count, I relied on the reader to possess some degree of common knowledge, so I didn't have to waste words explaining things.) 

When I received the judges' feedback, two of the three judges offered suggestions that were somewhere between "meh" and useful. (I know I sound like an @$$, I apologize.) The "meh" advice would be more useful if I choose to expand the story. The useful advice from one of the judges would have allowed me to give the story more context with only a couple words, which is applicable for a challenge like this. 

The third judge made me lose confidence in this contest. First, the positive feedback was only one sentence long, while the criticism was about seven sentences. (The previous two judges had more balance to their feedback.) The third judge not only dinged me for common-knowledge stuff, but also for not revealing the "fear/desires" of my narrator. I wrote my story in the third-person objective narrative. My narrator is not a part of the story and therefore has no "fear/desires." I believe a judge of a writing contest should know that, especially since that is arguably the most common narrative in storytelling.

Lastly, (and this is where I'm going to sound especially conceited, so please forgive me) the story I mentioned earlier placed quite high in the rankings. The genre was romance, but when I read the story I felt "dirty" at the end of it. One of the hallmarks of a good romance story is feeling happy, or emotionally moved at the end of it; not feeling grossed out. Meanwhile, people who didn't view me in the best of lights, their attitudes towards me softened after reading my story. It's one thing to be told your story is good, but when someone is kinder towards you after reading it, that's something else. 

Anyway, all that is to tell you that I am engaged in an experiment. The third judge's critique was unbalanced and mirrored some of the elements of that one writer's critique of my story. I want to see what the feedback will be like without forum feedback to pull from. I regret not getting valuable feedback from other writers, and I know that the parameters of my experiment have too many variables to be accurate, but faith in the integrity of this contest is shaken and I don't know what else to do. 

Yeah, it's okay if you think I'm neurotic. I kinda do, too. 

FFC2019 Free Spirits
LaissezFaire View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaissezFaire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Hepburn82 Hepburn82 wrote:

I am sad to hear that you feel shaken and soured, but I think those are valid feelings. It's hard to put your word-soul out there and have it scrutinized. It always stings.

The third judge made me lose confidence in this contest. First, the positive feedback was only one sentence long, while the criticism was about seven sentences. (The previous two judges had more balance to their feedback.) The third judge not only dinged me for common-knowledge stuff, but also for not revealing the "fear/desires" of my narrator. I wrote my story in the third-person objective narrative. My narrator is not a part of the story and therefore has no "fear/desires." I believe a judge of a writing contest should know that, especially since that is arguably the most common narrative in storytelling.

If it makes you feel any better, I had a judge question my knowledge of my time period in my story. Questions that could have been answered by a 5 second jaunt to Dr. Google if it was that important to know.  I grew up in the time period...so yes...X thing was available. I had one.  That can be extremely frustrating.  I have also had a judge expend energy on my synopsis (yes it was terrible, it haunts me). I think stuff like that drives everyone bazookas.Angry

Some of the feedback I gave last round was about character development. (I wasn't mean, but I was honest and direct. That's the kind of feedback I like to receive, so that is what I offer. That's how you grow, right?) I don't think it was well-received.

There are some people who have a tendancy to review rather harshly and that sours some people just like some of the judges imbalanced feedback puts people off.  Sometimes its a matter of it's just the last straw in a long line of broken straws.  I personally stick to a rule of thumb to give honest, but softer feedback unless the poster specifically asks for more direct feedback or has indicated "they have their armor on and to bring it on".  Sometimes there are misunderstandings.  Sometimes I give an example of a word-count edit and I always fear that the writer will think I am telling them exactly what to do despite putting "for example" in front of the "just an example".Shocked

In return, that writer offered some critiques of my story that I didn't agree with and I had no problem saying as much. (With such a short word count, I relied on the reader to possess some degree of common knowledge, so I didn't have to waste words explaining things.)

Ultimately it is up to you to make your decisions because you are the only one who can see your whole vision.  And the audience of a piece isn't necessarily everyone.  I think relying on common knowledge is fair for specific audiences.  That said it can bite us all in the ass in this contest because we don't know the knowledge base of the judges. Shocked  I think we have all had to make that harrowing decision...do I put this in and eat words or do I take a risk and hope the judge gets it.   It makes me sweat just thinking about it! Confused

Lastly, (and this is where I'm going to sound especially conceited, so please forgive me) the story I mentioned earlier placed quite high in the rankings. The genre was romance, but when I read the story I felt "dirty" at the end of it. One of the hallmarks of a good romance story is feeling happy, or emotionally moved at the end of it; not feeling grossed out. Meanwhile, people who didn't view me in the best of lights, their attitudes towards me softened after reading my story. It's one thing to be told your story is good, but when someone is kinder towards you after reading it, that's something else.

That's just normal bias.   A story's audience isn't necessarily for everyone.   Probably one of the best romances I've ever seen is Harold and Maude.   It's nuts. It's gut wrenching sad. It's absurd funny. It's hopeful.  And you walk away confused forever.   There's an audience for gross.  I don't care much for over-the-top potty humor and it's really hard for me to review a comedy that uses it the whole way with no filter.  I have a line.  
Clerks! <--awesome!     Uh, no.-->Jay and Silent Bob     
Deadpool<--awesome!       Dead-->Deadpool tiny hand running joke

I regret not getting valuable feedback from other writers, and I know that the parameters of my experiment have too many variables to be accurate, but faith in the integrity of this contest is shaken and I don't know what else to do.

You do what you got to do to center yourself.  Last round I HATED my story so much and I was feeling just extra vulnerable that I posted and ran.   One year I skipped the context entirely because I just couldn't deal with one more fail at the time.

Yeah, it's okay if you think I'm neurotic. I kinda do, too. 

All writers are neurotic. It rather comes with the territory of being in your headspace all the time talking to people who don't exist.  LOL
kizernix View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kizernix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 4:44pm
For Hepburn82, I admittedly was pissed off at some of the commentary I got from the judges when I first joined, but now I take what they say with a grain of salt and think from their perspective that they are reading A LOT of Flash Fiction in a short time and may have a few brain freeze moments... Dead

If you come to NYCM with the idea that this is good practice for my writing and I'll learn how I compare to some of my colleagues who are in the same boat (by that I mean none of us are Stephen King yet!) then you will get your money's worth and then some!  

SS1:The Jewelry Box of Hildegard von Dideritz
SS2:The Silverfish
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic