NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I've got nothing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thesaura73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 3:17pm
Wrote 12 pages, sent to beta and learned it's ridiculously horrible...Between computer crashing and a horrible cold (and life) I have today to rewrite it. Think I can but is it worth it? I did tap out a new outline but not sure I've got the energy to make it very good (though TBH it doesn't always need to be very good to make the cut)...
SC R1 - Hothouse Flowers (Mystery)
SS Ch1 - A Curated Experience (Suspense)
Sponsored Links

Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by thesaura73 thesaura73 wrote:

Wrote 12 pages, sent to beta and learned it's ridiculously horrible...Between computer crashing and a horrible cold (and life) I have today to rewrite it. Think I can but is it worth it? I did tap out a new outline but not sure I've got the energy to make it very good (though TBH it doesn't always need to be very good to make the cut)...

Turn something in if even remotely possible.  You won't always contend with health issues and life and everything else conspiring to make it difficult, but you will know you can finish even when it's hard.

Knowing you can is far more important than the entry itself.

Smile
This Sig Intentionally Blank
thesaura73 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thesaura73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 3:39pm
I could turn what I have but would rather turn in something that more closely resembles mystery! LOL The entry fee always motivates me to try and eke out something not-too-horrible
Emfizz View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emfizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 4:24pm

The entry fee always motivates me to try and eke out something not-too-horrible

Same here, that's why I'm even still trying to work on my turd of a story... Otherwise I might as well have thrown literal money out of my literal window. Wacko

Edited by Emfizz - 19 Apr 2019 at 4:24pm
T.E. Bradford View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote T.E. Bradford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 9:48pm

Don't feel bad. I've got my draft done, and I think my story idea is okay, but found to my horror that writing a screenplay requires me to combine third person with present tense, and that I have no idea how to manage my formatting even with one of the free apps, and that I'm not sure I haven't included some kind of internal dialogue or deep POV which is great in fiction and an absolute no-no in screenplay writing.

DeadDeadDead

If I can turn mine in, so can you!!!! No one can say we didn't try. Right? Right! Big smile
Tracy
SS R2 G23 River of Tears
SP R1 G28 FOURSCORE
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by T.E. Bradford T.E. Bradford wrote:

Don't feel bad. I've got my draft done, and I think my story idea is okay, but found to my horror that writing a screenplay requires me to combine third person with present tense, and that I have no idea how to manage my formatting even with one of the free apps, and that I'm not sure I haven't included some kind of internal dialogue or deep POV which is great in fiction and an absolute no-no in screenplay writing.

DeadDeadDead

If I can turn mine in, so can you!!!! No one can say we didn't try. Right? Right! Big smile

What??  Shocked

writing a screenplay requires me to combine third person with present tense

I need to know what all that means?  I'm doomed...
This Sig Intentionally Blank
T.E. Bradford View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.E. Bradford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

What??  Shocked

writing a screenplay requires me to combine third person with present tense

I need to know what all that means?  I'm doomed...

In that link NYCM gives you where it says "Never written a screenplay before? Click here to see some basics..." I read this:

Action Lines
This is where you create the images of the film in the reader's head.  As stated above, action lines should only describe what an audience can see or hear.  They should be short and concise, easy to visualize, and should move the characters, and plot forward.  Action lines should always be written in the present tense.

Since I'm doing action for characters like JANE and DICK, I'm writing third person.

Example:

Jane enters the bar. Dick turns around and promptly falls off his stool, breaking his crown.
--Third person, present tense.

Please don't take this as gospel. I'm am an absolute NEWBIE at screenplay. I'm just quoting the info provided. Someone, please please please correct me if I'm wrong.

Tracy
SS R2 G23 River of Tears
SP R1 G28 FOURSCORE
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by T.E. Bradford T.E. Bradford wrote:

[QUOTE=Random]
What??  Shocked

Since I'm doing action for characters like JANE and DICK, I'm writing third person.

Example:

Jane enters the bar. Dick turns around and promptly falls off his stool, breaking his crown.
--Third person, present tense.

Please don't take this as gospel. I'm am an absolute NEWBIE at screenplay. I'm just quoting the info provided. Someone, please please please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jane enters the bar. Dick turns around (turns, falling off his stool, his crown breaks) and promptly falls off his stool, breaking his crown.

Maybe more like that?
ssc Ulysses"s Weakness
Sp R1 Of Flowers, Trees, and Fish
<a href="https://tiny.cc/ksci1y" rel
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 11:48pm
ssc Ulysses"s Weakness
Sp R1 Of Flowers, Trees, and Fish
<a href="https://tiny.cc/ksci1y" rel
thesaura73 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thesaura73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 2:47am
OK, I cut out the garbage and then tried to smooth out the non-garbage parts. Not sure I want to make anyone suffer reading it in beta! Got to get to bed to catch a 7 a.m. train out of town and just forget this during that time! If I'm lucky I will have an hour to work on this when back in town.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
  Share Topic