NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody Else Do This??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sgspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anybody Else Do This??
    Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 4:23pm
I just wrote a first draft of a story I thought was pretty good.  I handed it to my husband to read, and when he was finished he said, "This is a really cool story, honey...but where is the battleship and the skull?"   Duh.  I wrote the whole thing in the genre, but totally forgot about the prompts.

Back to the drawing board.  
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 4:29pm
Heh, I have the opposite problem now. By the time I'm done I will know how to develop photos in a darkroom but I have no idea if I'll have a coherent ghost story.
FFC 2020 Ch 1 Gr 21: Cellared
Ch2 Gr 21: The Spy Who Came in For The Cake
uglypantsuit View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglypantsuit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 4:43pm
I’ve ended up using my gavel in a flashback scene... so it’s just a brief mention BUT it is used by a judge during a hearing so at least it’s being used ‘correctly’? How have you guys gone with just mentioning the object in passing under the new rules? 
Lookit There View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lookit There Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

Heh, I have the opposite problem now. By the time I'm done I will know how to develop photos in a darkroom but I have no idea if I'll have a coherent ghost story.
I have learned more about photo processing in the last four hours than I learned in a solid year of photography in high school. Thanks Google!
On the other hand, I'm 2/3 through my word count and the ghost hasn't been revealed as a ghost yet. So...there's that. 
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by Lookit There Lookit There wrote:

I have learned more about photo processing in the last four hours than I learned in a solid year of photography in high school. Thanks Google!
On the other hand, I'm 2/3 through my word count and the ghost hasn't been revealed as a ghost yet. So...there's that. 

Yeah, high school was the last time I used a darkroom (we didn't do photography but the art teacher let me use it to try and save a roll that tore inside a vintage camera) but I remember so little. And I've now plotting a trip to ghost towns. Have I written more than 200 words? Of course not.

That's what four cups of coffee is for!
FFC 2020 Ch 1 Gr 21: Cellared
Ch2 Gr 21: The Spy Who Came in For The Cake
emilymyoga View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emilymyoga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by uglypantsuit uglypantsuit wrote:

How have you guys gone with just mentioning the object in passing under the new rules? 

In my first story the object was a measuring tape and it was just used to measure a coffin. So I think you're all good. 
SheriLS View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheriLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 5:49pm
I mentioned mine in passing last round and got 15 points! So you should be good. 

Edited by SheriLS - 10 Nov 2018 at 5:49pm
thesaura73 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thesaura73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 5:52pm

Originally posted by Lookit There Lookit There wrote:

Yeah, high school was the last time I used a darkroom (we didn't do photography but the art teacher let me use it to try and save a roll that tore inside a vintage camera) but I remember so little. And I've now plotting a trip to ghost towns. Have I written more than 200 words? Of course not.

That's what four cups of coffee is for!
Ugh, I'm not feeling so bad now. While it seemed the prompts would be good, I am so stuck on the darkroom since I've never used one. I too have spent three hours reading about darkrooms and now going to watch videos of someone actually using a darkroom. I don't want to, but think I might just have the darkroom just be a room and not worry about adding in any pertinent details about what it's used for.
SC R1 - Hothouse Flowers (Mystery)
SS Ch1 - A Curated Experience (Suspense)
roccapia View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roccapia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 5:56pm
I can't even write. I have a toothache and I'm jetlagged. I could probably pump out a horror or drama, but how in the hell does one write a romantic comedy with a toothache? Ugh. I HAVE used my prompts, but there's so far not an ounce of comedy in the three paragraphs I've written so far. Bleh.
SSF R2: The Long Winter
thesaura73 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thesaura73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 6:25pm
I did find this very Portland-feeling video of someone using a darkroom! LOL Ugh, I hate myself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nue495wxlXo
SC R1 - Hothouse Flowers (Mystery)
SS Ch1 - A Curated Experience (Suspense)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic