NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Contest rule compliance: responsibility.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mari View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Contest rule compliance: responsibility.
    Posted: 18 Sep 2008 at 5:08am

I like the idea of anything over 1,000 being disqualified.  That way, you can be sure, there won't be any, and everyone will have worked equally hard to be sure of that.  One less thing for judges to worry about.  On the other hand, it really doesn't matter to me.  I'm in this to get inspiration and learn (both happened in abundance in this contest). This has been so much fun.  I'm glad for this string, because now I will go and ask to read the top stories (hadn't considered doing that) and learn even more.  And thanks for the links, I'll check them out too. 

Sponsored Links

wlbryan View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wlbryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2008 at 4:20pm
There are a lot of really good points made in this string, and I generally agree - in fact, I think abc-xyz is dead on, although I only think it is about 10% as important as (s)he made it.

NYCMMM should obviously be more communicative. Otherwise, this is the first time they have run this particular contest, so some unforeseen difficulties with the rules are probably to be expected.

Subjectivity in judging is, of course, impossible to avoid. Compliance with genre, for instance, can't really be codified.
tmoraca View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmoraca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 11:10am
I am the "douche" offender. That said, the screenwriting forums get naaaasty!!
Short Story Challenge 2012

Round 2, Group 3, What I Remember
mra061818 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mra061818 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 4:38am
Originally posted by alexander alexander wrote:

...douche...

i just have to say that that word always makes me laugh

you called him a douche
now thats comedy

Can't say that I agree.
Let's not slide into name-calling.
So far, this forum hasn't adopted the nasty tone that the screenwriting forum generally takes. I appreciate that the writer decided better and edited the initial post.

mhponce View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhponce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2008 at 5:21am
Well, I guess the question has been answered by the email we got.  But how about this.  The judges should read 1,000 words and no more.  And base the story on the first 1,000, like our teachers used to do (or one teacher I had.  You can write more than a page, but I will read only 1 page)...  Just a thought.  It would make this more even.  Because this 10% thing isn't fair really... I have to say I did not read the rules before and I just assumed the 1,000 words was super strict, and that no one would break it... I'm not upset by those who did break it (that was your risk to take, knowing the rules), but when you read the email and it says, "congratulations on submitting a 1,000 word story" then the contest should really enforce the 1,000 word limit...

Yes, I spent the $35 and yes, I can chose not to again, if this bothers me enough... I still enjoyed participating though.  And, this conversation right here sparked the NYC midnight people to do something and get some things straight for next time.  THis is the first of this kind of contest, and they still have things to iron out.  By the 10th year they will have it more controlled, I would imagine.  And we will have helped shape it, with our views. 

Edited by mhponce - 09 Sep 2008 at 1:33pm
http://onewordafteranother.wordpress.com
sutekh137 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sutekh137 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2008 at 4:55am
I love the "drabble"!  Just makes me laugh!

JoeK
HughDeppman View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HughDeppman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 6:19pm
Wow, those links ABC provided are a gold-mine.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
Skylark View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 6:02pm
MRA, then I got it wrong in that sense, and I apologize.

I do stand by the concept that we are all facing the same challenge, and that to express grave disappointment in others' success is unkind.

Cheers?
mra061818 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mra061818 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Skylark Skylark wrote:

I have to call you out though, abc, on your post beginning "This morning, I was gravely disappointed when I saw who placed in Challenge ..."

We are all competing in this together, and for you to single out a fellow writer for such venom is uncalled-for and unsportsmanlike. 

\

Skylark, he/she (abc-xyz) wasn't singling out one person. He said Challenge #1 of Round #1, which meant ALL of the winners in the first challenge...not the winner of the competition in group #1.
sutekh137 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sutekh137 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 5:37pm
Then it sounds like you maybe should have taken your $35 elsewhere, TBC?  There's always that choice, and we all had it.  The rules are clearly posted with a Q&A forum for questions.  If people don't like the answers (or don't get answers), and that is bothersome enough, then where does the responsibility lie once someone coughs up their entry fee?

(I mean that as a sincere question...)

JoeK
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic