NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quicker Feedback/Error Detection?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ShadowBeast View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShadowBeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quicker Feedback/Error Detection?
    Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 5:55pm
There is concern over the potential for miskeyed information after the FFC round where an error was caught due to the feedback not matching the contestant's story. We all understand that accidents can happen. However, coming up is the results of the SSC round one with 2100 entrants. This is a huge potential for something to happen. With how timing has happened before we will not even see our feedback until after the second round is written and submitted.

This is a concern. And I hope you see why.

There is time between now and the reporting of the winners. Is there some way to expedite the reporting of the feedback so there is a chance to spot a miskey? It is downright frightening to think of being barred from the chance to go on because one is unaware that a simple copy and paste mistake was at fault.

If not in this round of SSC, we sincerely hope you are considering adjusting the dates for the next ones to ensure we have a chance to see the feedback to at least check it is applicable to our entries.

Sincere thanks!

R1A tightly packed parcel of contents that leave you wanting--which a publisher told me made her editing day. Suck it judges!
Sponsored Links

BlackGate View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackGate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 6:54pm
I'd agree ShadowBeast - in addition to the spreadsheet changes NYCM are making, I think that (1) Less tight timelines regarding judging/feedback/next round (ie results & feedback 7-9 days before the next round) and (2) Better checks are required, in order for folks' faith to be maintained. These are decent competitions, it would be a shame for the reputation to take a knock.
maiaco View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maiaco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 5:56am
I totally support this.  The only 'visibility' we have of the judging process is through the feedback we receive.  I have been a regular for long enough to know that there have been previous incidents of feedback not matching the submitted story line (but this is the first time I have considered that the scores may also have been mismatched). 

If feedback is entered at the same time as scores on the Judges spreadsheet it would make sense to receive the feedback PRIOR to the next deadline, so mistakes can be rectified.
Broccoli and Buckwheat

No baby acorns were harmed in the writing of this story

DBA Lehane View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBA Lehane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 7:45am
Just simply extend the time between rounds to enable the feedback and scores to come out earlier.  Am sure people wouldn't mind waiting an extra week if it helps to clear up any obvious errors, as occurred in the SSC this year.
FFC15 4th placed finalist / SSC14 & SSC16 finalist
NYC Midnight View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NYC Midnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 9:49am
Thank you for the feedback and we understand your concerns.  We do plan on distributing the feedback before the next round begins for the Short Story Challenge 2016 in addition to all future competitions.

Although the errors are rare, we have a plan in place to further reduce any possibilities of error by refining the judging system so that everything will be completed on one screen.  We hope to have this new system ready by the end of the year.

Also, as a reassurance, we would never exclude a writer from advancing to the next round if we are made aware of a judging error with the scoring.  If there was evidence that there was a potential error from the feedback and/or scoring which would change the advancing writers and our judges were not able to confirm in time for the next round to begin, we would then advance all writers in question.  This will be added to the Official Rules & Participation Agreements from here on out.

We are always trying to improve and we appreciate everyone's feedback.  Please let us know if you have any other questions, concerns, or comments.  Thank you!
Next up is the Screenwriting Challenge 2019 kicking off April 12th.
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 1:17am
I've participated in 3 of the Flash Fiction contests (I have yet to win; it certainly is due only to the lack of recognition of my genius writing skills by the Powers That Be).

I can say that the organization that runs these contests displays exemplary skills in running very difficult-to-manage contests involving writers making a mad dash to the finish line and judges that may be difficult to pin down for their final results.

Of course I expect things to be done justly, but even with that high bar, I know it is still a lot of work to handle, and I appreciate the hard work.
2019 SWCR1 NO SPARROW FALLS UNSEEN
2019 SSCR2 ICE CAPADES
maiaco View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maiaco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by NYC Midnight NYC Midnight wrote:

Thank you for the feedback and we understand your concerns.  We do plan on distributing the feedback before the next round begins for the Short Story Challenge 2016 in addition to all future competitions.

Although the errors are rare, we have a plan in place to further reduce any possibilities of error by refining the judging system so that everything will be completed on one screen.  We hope to have this new system ready by the end of the year.

Also, as a reassurance, we would never exclude a writer from advancing to the next round if we are made aware of a judging error with the scoring.  If there was evidence that there was a potential error from the feedback and/or scoring which would change the advancing writers and our judges were not able to confirm in time for the next round to begin, we would then advance all writers in question.  This will be added to the Official Rules & Participation Agreements from here on out.

We are always trying to improve and we appreciate everyone's feedback.  Please let us know if you have any other questions, concerns, or comments.  Thank you!

Thank you NYC for getting the feedback out before Round 2 started.  It was very welcome, and your efforts were noted and appreciated. 

I have seen one or two posts that have questioned how the rules have been applied in relation to the required components - synopsis format, word count, and using exact wording for the prompts.  I noticed another comment about feedback being given for another participant's story. 

Would it be possible for the feedback to come even earlier for subsequent rounds - perhaps a week before the next round is due to start?  This would allow time for any problems of this nature to be dealt with, and scores adjusted, for progressing participants? I realize this puts pressure on the Judges to read, comment and score to a tight deadline, but I feel it would help to make this contest an even better experience for everyone that already enjoys it. 

Broccoli and Buckwheat

No baby acorns were harmed in the writing of this story

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic