NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tools to Find Places to Submit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G1nsbergB3ats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tools to Find Places to Submit
    Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 10:57am
Hey everyone! So in the long wait, I was thinking of sprucing up my story that passed muster last year and see if I can find a place to submit it. I know there are tools floating around out there such as Duotrope, but I thought I had seen a similar FREE tool floating around on these forums... am I mistaken? 

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them! Not looking to make money, just get published/credits to hopefully one day become an actual writer!

I'm open to paid services too, but money is tight right now because my wife and I are starting to look for our first home. :P
2019 SSC R1 H62 The Culling
Sponsored Links

td333777 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td333777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 12:41pm
Submission Grinder is a similar tool to Duotrope, and it’s free.  That being said, I think Duotrope is far superior and is kept current and updated more often.  Plus, it’s only five bucks, which won’t break the bank for anyone.  Here’s a link to the Grinder, though, just so you have it:

Have fun!

Trey
SSC 2019 - Rd 1, Gr 33 Ruthless Efficiency
FFC 2017 - 1st place
SSC 2018 - 2nd place
thesaura73 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thesaura73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 10:14pm
Just to keep submissions front of mind, on Twitter I mostly follow writers and places that post submission opportunities. Also made one of my "big 4" phone apps the Submittable app (though that was $5.99, I think?) for the same reason (so when I need to kill time and just have my phone, I can just either zone out on scrolling submission opportunities instead of other stuff) LOL It does sound like Duotrope is good for when you are ready full-on submitting mode (not sure I'm there yet!)
SSP Ch3 - Innovations in Pediatrics (Comedy)
SS Ch1 - A Curated Experience (Suspense)
GallifreyGirl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GallifreyGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 1:09am
I use newpages.com and I follow #callforsubmissions and #openforsubmissions on Insta & Twitter
SSC18 R1G3 Fathoms Deep 1st pl
SSC19 R1G88 the girl in the ghost dress lies
G1nsbergB3ats View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G1nsbergB3ats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 9:04am
Thanks everyone! I mean yeah $50 a year wouldn't break the bank, or just $5 for a few months in order to find a home for a short story or three, I didn't even look at how much Duotrope cost, I just saw "fee" and thought "writer" and in my experience... like we make $0 anyways so it's always rough to cough up anything in my mind. I'm not even trying to get paid, just get publication since it's a life goal that I think is obtainable. 
2019 SSC R1 H62 The Culling
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 10:47pm
I do not believe that calling your agent a tool is the way to go.
Cassalass View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cassalass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 1:15pm
submittal.com is free though a little less user friendly. So I've heard. I'm researching this as well so I'm glad you started this post.

R1,Heat55, Historical Fiction/A Quest/An Accountant: The Rat Merchant
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic