NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Titles and loglines!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ludakitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 9:50pm
Group 30: Fairy Tale / nagging / a jockey

Unscrupulous Creatures

Orphaned by war, Anja befriends a magical rat who helps her see beyond her sheltered upbringing. But will she be brave enough to take a stand when it matters most? 

jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by RustyFox RustyFox wrote:

Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

Heat 77, Horror, Ambition, a Painter

The Artist Is Not Present
Shout and scream, or run about, there is no way of getting out.

(Yes, this is a reference to Maria Abramovic's The Artist Is Present, a shout-out to Gorey who is the only kind of horror I do, and a middle finger to the concept of log lines in non-screenplay fiction and the prompt. The artist in fact is not present, but IS the only character with a name.)

As a fan of Edward Gorey, I am obviously very excited to read this one. 

I adore Gorey. The last horror I did, The Road To Rakvere, if you read closely, has a LOT of "The Unstrung Harp" in it. This one is mostly inspired by that line. I generally like the whole...matter of fact, semi-absurd nature of his stories. Like the most chilling of his endings is really "At sunset the entered a tunnel in the Iron Hills and did not come out the other side." 
FFC 2020 Ch 1 Gr 21: Cellared
Ch2 Gr 21: The Spy Who Came in For The Cake
thaliahalloran View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thaliahalloran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 10:57pm
Group 29 - Sci-fi/life support/an army general

Doña Paz

On her way to be appointed General of the Keppler Alliance armed forces, Elena Marín’s cruiser ship is knocked off course and disabled by a wormhole. Rapidly sinking through an unknown ocean, Marín and her crew must make a difficult decision concerning life and death.
R1: Doña Paz
French Hat View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote French Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 12:44am
Group 4 - Horror / forgiveness / a deputy

Deputy Wayne

When he is called to a grisly crime scene—and the sheriff is nowhere to be found—Deputy Wayne is in way over his head.
SSC20 R3: Me Undies & Beyond
MFC20 R1: Caught
justmel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote justmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 12:56am
Originally posted by dashesndots2 dashesndots2 wrote:

Nice to see someone else from Group 35!
Here's mine:
The Chain Gang's All Here

Someone stole something precious from Billie. She assembles a ragtag team to steal it back.

Yay! This one about killed me--I hope you didn't battle with these prompts like I did!
Splatty View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Splatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 4:41am
First writing challenge of 2020.

One of my resolutions this year is to write more, so of course I joined up for another NYC Midnight challenge.

I got Romance as the genre for the first round. Initially, I was incredibly nervous as romance is not my normal reading genre, but I ended up being very excited as I figured this was the biggest possible challenge I could face.

That can only be good, right?

Group 131
Romance/Misleading/A bouncer

Protection From Cheaters

Is it OK to lie if the intentions are just?
After a brief meeting at a coffee shop bouncer, Steven Sumner, encounters this question.

Edited by Splatty - 28 Jan 2020 at 4:43am
rdawn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 7:26am
Yay! so glad to see another writer from our heat, I scanned all 24 pages of comments for group 106 and was so bummed when I didn't see any! Hope you fared well with the prompts! So excited to see what others have done with them.
Judit Dani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judit Dani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 7:35am
Heat 67: Sci-fi/Gentrification/A personal chef

Dream of Rhea

Carol’s dreams come true when she is offered a job with a rich family who is moving away to an uptown neighbourhood. Two and a half billion light years away.

sepidehs View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sepidehs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 9:39am
No one from heat 2 here?Geek
myrhapsody View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrhapsody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 1:03pm
Group 64: Sci-fi / Camping / A surgeon

The Family Shame

A young man is the last hope to correct a past tragedy and reverse a curse that has plagued his family for generations.

This is my second time getting sci-fi, and both times, I turned it into historical fiction/time travel. I think I'm incapable of writing any other kind of sci-fi. LOL. It's also the second time I've been assigned a surgeon. Both of the previous times with these prompts, I've done well so I'm crossing my fingers with this one!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627>
  Share Topic