NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoughts on 100 word microfiction?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Reasonably_Crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thoughts on 100 word microfiction?
    Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 11:58am
I just got the email that the 100-word microfiction is open for registration. Is it just me, or did they double the registration fee? I did it last year and remember paying, like, $5 after the discount for tweeting the link.  $20 seems kind steep, especially since the feedback is so limited. (I mean, there's only so much you can say about 100 words. I got "remember every word counts!" and I'm like, YEAH, Denise, I just spent 24 hours agonizing over them.)

I dunno - is my memory flawed? Am I just being a cranky old lady about it? 

theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 12:13pm
I don't think that's right - I thought we paid about the same as for the 250. Wouldn't swear to it though.
I don't think I'll be entering this year. This may be sour grapes as it's the only story competition where I haven't made it into the second round, but I don't find 100 word stories particularly satisfying to read or to write. I'll definitely be back for the flash and 250 competitions though. 
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 12:43pm
$0.20 a word?  I think I paid $0.02 a word for short story, and since I made round 2 somehow that comes down to a penny a word. 

That's pretty steep given 100 words is about three or four lines of chopped dialog and a paragraph.

I can use that Saturday for other things.
This sig intentionally blank
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by theinquisitor theinquisitor wrote:

I don't think that's right - I thought we paid about the same as for the 250. Wouldn't swear to it though.
I don't think I'll be entering this year. This may be sour grapes as it's the only story competition where I haven't made it into the second round, but I don't find 100 word stories particularly satisfying to read or to write. I'll definitely be back for the flash and 250 competitions though. 

You and me both, just can't get something started and then finished in that many words. Cept I did not enter the first one, haha.
Steven Kay View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steven Kay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 2:53pm
I considered it, as a challenge, but I don't think microfiction is for me. 1,250 would be hard enough, if I got to Round 4 of this thing!
Dark&StormyNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Dark&StormyNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 3:08pm
I believe last year it was $12 early after the media discount, this year $15.

Also noticing they’re tightening up the numbers as 15 and 8 make it through each round compared to 20 and 10 (I think) last year.

I’m definitely in, it’s a challenge to write such a short story but I’ve taken a liking to it and submitted some stories recently to 101Words.

Just hope the judges are smarter this year and remember the word limit!
EMeadows View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EMeadows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 7:02pm
I'm really excited about the 100 word challenge. I just entered. The 100 word challenge in 2020 was my first ever writing competition and I have a very distinct and emotional memory of participating. The pandemic was completely full blown at that time, we were in lockdown here and the writing challenge gave me some hope and allowed me to focus my brain on something positive. I did not do well but it still was a wonderful experience and I'm ready to try again. The timing is also fun because we're sort of now coming out of the pandemic so it's a new beginning in that way.
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 7:06pm
Last time I washed out in the semi-finals with a HM. I think I like the 250 micro better than the 100. I might sit this one out...
GenieAZ View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GenieAZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 7:10pm
The first story I ever submitted to ANYTHING was way back in 2020...MF250...lol.  I was first in my group!  I think that hooked me (although I washed out in the next round, and will probably wash out in the 2nd round of the SSC...curse you Suspense!).  

I have to think about 100 words.  I already have way too much story for every submission.  That might drive me to day drinking. 
ZoeLou View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZoeLou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 7:53pm
Yes I loved micro last year - I was knocked out after my terrible comedy poem in round 2 LOL but very keen to give it another try this year!

I think something about the short word limit and time limit takes away all the pressure for me so I’m just forced to write whatever I think of first without agonising over whether it’s a strong enough idea to carry me for 1000-2000 words like the other comps. Not to mention it gives me an excuse to let my overly poetic, metaphor-addicted side take the reigns without having to worry if it’s dragging on. 

It’s probably not the best comp for detailed critique since it’s such a brief story, but it’s definitely lots of fun ;)

I’ve finally managed to convince my sister to join NYC Midnight for this comp which is exciting too!
SSC R1: The Many Faces of Gemini

All my NYCM work: Author Archive
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>