NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoughts of an OG participant

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 4:16pm
I've been around since (checks notes) 2013. I've grown (I hope) as a writer.

It's been harder and harder to be enthusiastic. The scoring debacle in the last contest I entered (multiple pasted identical comments from a judge) and then the incredibly boorish behavior of people who delight in copying stories has just about done me in.

I don't write for profit, it seems. I write for my own pleasure. If I sell a story (which I have not, in two years), then great. It's just hard to feel neighborly when people are waiting to vacuum up the work of others--and then boast about it.
SSP2019 C2 G20 | Troubled Waters
FFC2019 C3 G01 | Moonstone Madness
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

I've been around since (checks notes) 2013. I've grown (I hope) as a writer.

It's been harder and harder to be enthusiastic. The scoring debacle in the last contest I entered (multiple pasted identical comments from a judge) and then the incredibly boorish behavior of people who delight in copying stories has just about done me in.

I don't write for profit, it seems. I write for my own pleasure. If I sell a story (which I have not, in two years), then great. It's just hard to feel neighborly when people are waiting to vacuum up the work of others--and then boast about it.

I must have missed that. I would be interested in seeing what you're talking about :o Is there a user talking about adapting people's stories and trying to sell them? Bit unnerving
Flash Fic Final: The Lightning Boy
Micro Fic Final: The Roses Smelled of Copper
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 5:18pm

I saw the judge comments issue, but nothing about someone copying stories - had they been beta readers and they stole them? That is shocking! I don't know how they would have known otherwise unless they saw it before it was submitted?

That is very concerning for sure.

I like the forums but won't be that active in the review for short story purely out of extreme lack of time, probably won't post mine for that reason, but I do like getting people's feedback and giving it. I never feel like I write enough for the reviews. It depends on the contest. For microfiction I really don't give detailed reviews.
ursanz View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ursanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 10:37pm

and then the incredibly boorish behavior of people who delight in copying stories has just about done me in.

Do you have any more information on the copying? I wondered why so few people posted their stories each round - less than 20%. Is there a real concern about work being copied? 
MF R1 G3 Who’s the Angel Now? #9
MF R2 G1 Thames Frost Fair
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by ursanz ursanz wrote:

and then the incredibly boorish behavior of people who delight in copying stories has just about done me in.

Do you have any more information on the copying? I wondered why so few people posted their stories each round - less than 20%. Is there a real concern about work being copied? 

I am not sure, but he might have been referring to some people that were trying to write homages to successful stories of published works for the contests.  I have not heard of anyone copying these stories, but who knows.
OnyxLily View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnyxLily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

I am not sure, but he might have been referring to some people that were trying to write homages to successful stories of published works for the contests.  I have not heard of anyone copying these stories, but who knows.

There have been a couple of instances recently where people from NYCM have been on other forums or publications and recognised a story or script being shared, or having been published. The person sharing or publishing was not the person who originally wrote the piece. There's a concern, I think, that some people have copied or downloaded work they've liked from NYCM forums, and attempted to pass them off as their own elsewhere. 
A Ship in the Woods Micro19 R1
The Scorch FF19 C2
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by OnyxLily OnyxLily wrote:

Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

There have been a couple of instances recently where people from NYCM have been on other forums or publications and recognised a story or script being shared, or having been published. The person sharing or publishing was not the person who originally wrote the piece. There's a concern, I think, that some people have copied or downloaded work they've liked from NYCM forums, and attempted to pass them off as their own elsewhere. 

That I did not know about.  Never heard a thing?  I guess there is no protecting oneself from thieves.
Lookit There View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lookit There Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 12:09am
I was just remarking to another Forumite on social media earlier today that I remember when there were about 100 groups of 20 writers each. (I *think* my first comp was 2013, maybe 2014, but can't swear to it.) I kind of miss those days, in that reading posts was more manageable, and I don't feel like the judges were stretched so thin that you got ridiculous feedback. (I mostly like my feedback in comps, but it often feels rushed and not thought through - like the constant suggestion of "adding more words" to assignments with a strict word count. Not helpful!)
Now get the hell off my lawn before I shake my old man fist at you!

Edited by Lookit There - Yesterday at 12:11am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic