FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoughts of an OG participant

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Lookit There View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lookit There Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thoughts of an OG participant
    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 12:09am
I was just remarking to another Forumite on social media earlier today that I remember when there were about 100 groups of 20 writers each. (I *think* my first comp was 2013, maybe 2014, but can't swear to it.) I kind of miss those days, in that reading posts was more manageable, and I don't feel like the judges were stretched so thin that you got ridiculous feedback. (I mostly like my feedback in comps, but it often feels rushed and not thought through - like the constant suggestion of "adding more words" to assignments with a strict word count. Not helpful!)
Now get the hell off my lawn before I shake my old man fist at you!

Edited by Lookit There - 19 Jan 2020 at 12:11am
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by OnyxLily OnyxLily wrote:

Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Originally posted by ursanz ursanz wrote:

Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

and then the incredibly boorish behavior of people who delight in copying stories has just about done me in.

Do you have any more information on the copying? I wondered why so few people posted their stories each round - less than 20%. Is there a real concern about work being copied? 

I am not sure, but he might have been referring to some people that were trying to write homages to successful stories of published works for the contests.  I have not heard of anyone copying these stories, but who knows.

There have been a couple of instances recently where people from NYCM have been on other forums or publications and recognised a story or script being shared, or having been published. The person sharing or publishing was not the person who originally wrote the piece. There's a concern, I think, that some people have copied or downloaded work they've liked from NYCM forums, and attempted to pass them off as their own elsewhere. 

That I did not know about.  Never heard a thing?  I guess there is no protecting oneself from thieves.
OnyxLily View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnyxLily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

and then the incredibly boorish behavior of people who delight in copying stories has just about done me in.

Do you have any more information on the copying? I wondered why so few people posted their stories each round - less than 20%. Is there a real concern about work being copied? 

I am not sure, but he might have been referring to some people that were trying to write homages to successful stories of published works for the contests.  I have not heard of anyone copying these stories, but who knows.

There have been a couple of instances recently where people from NYCM have been on other forums or publications and recognised a story or script being shared, or having been published. The person sharing or publishing was not the person who originally wrote the piece. There's a concern, I think, that some people have copied or downloaded work they've liked from NYCM forums, and attempted to pass them off as their own elsewhere. 
That's What She Said FF Ch2 | Of Wolf and Wind FF Ch1 (13 points)
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 11:02pm

ursanz View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ursanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 10:37pm

100 R1 G75 Love Blooms

MF R1 G3 Who’s the Angel Now? #9
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 5:18pm

It's been harder and harder to be enthusiastic. The scoring debacle in the last contest I entered (multiple pasted identical comments from a judge) and then the incredibly boorish behavior of people who delight in copying stories has just about done me in.

I saw the judge comments issue, but nothing about someone copying stories - had they been beta readers and they stole them? That is shocking! I don't know how they would have known otherwise unless they saw it before it was submitted?

That is very concerning for sure.

I like the forums but won't be that active in the review for short story purely out of extreme lack of time, probably won't post mine for that reason, but I do like getting people's feedback and giving it. I never feel like I write enough for the reviews. It depends on the contest. For microfiction I really don't give detailed reviews.
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 4:19pm

I've been around since (checks notes) 2013. I've grown (I hope) as a writer.

It's been harder and harder to be enthusiastic. The scoring debacle in the last contest I entered (multiple pasted identical comments from a judge) and then the incredibly boorish behavior of people who delight in copying stories has just about done me in.

I don't write for profit, it seems. I write for my own pleasure. If I sell a story (which I have not, in two years), then great. It's just hard to feel neighborly when people are waiting to vacuum up the work of others--and then boast about it.

I must have missed that. I would be interested in seeing what you're talking about :o Is there a user talking about adapting people's stories and trying to sell them? Bit unnerving
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 4:16pm
I've been around since (checks notes) 2013. I've grown (I hope) as a writer.

I don't write for profit, it seems. I write for my own pleasure. If I sell a story (which I have not, in two years), then great. It's just hard to feel neighborly when people are waiting to vacuum up the work of others--and then boast about it.
FF2020 R1G38 Romance | Tunnel | Wrapping Paper | Paper Cuts
MrLipto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrLipto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by The Red Lion The Red Lion wrote:

There were writers whose opinions I respected and always sought out their stories.

Long ago, Random referred to a particular set of writers on here as "the varsity." It was sort of understood who that meant.

I think about that every time I log on to the forum. Probably because I hope to one day be regarded as one of those respected writers whose opinions have value for other members of the community.

Yes, there are a lot of writers on here, more every year. New names, new voices. Hopefully we can forgive one another and ourselves if we don't read and respond to every single one who seems deserving.

After all, that one terrible guy is gone. We're good people on here.
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 1:33pm

There were writers whose opinions I respected and always sought out their stories.

This hasn't changed for me. There are quite a few forumites who I regularly seek out & those who do so in return for me. 

I feel incredibly guilty when someone leaves me feedback and I’m unable to return the favor, so I put a strong focus on those as well and rarely get a chance to really dig into much else just based on the crazy number of posts. I’d be curious if others feel similarly.

I always prioritize return reviews. If someone has gone out of their way to read my work, it's my way of saying thank you by returning the favor. If 50 ppl post or 500 ppl post, I never do get around to reading as many pieces as I would like...

Edited by nod1v1ng - 17 Jan 2020 at 1:35pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic