NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"This is for all you new people..."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 17>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
thesaura73 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thesaura73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 1:33am
Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

Giving Feedback:

1. “I liked your story” is not really very helpful feedback.  While it is nice to hear, the point of feedback is to make us better writers.  So take a minute to talk about *why you liked (or disliked!) a piece.  What, as a writer, struck you?  Strong, defined characters? Descriptions that made it easy to visualize? Dialog that felt so real you thought you were standing there? Just as importantly, what didn’t work for you, and why didn’t it?  “I didn’t like X” isn’t very helpful either – talk about why X didn’t hit you quite right, or what felt off about it.
  2. It is customary to review the work of those who have reviewed yours.  If you do not return feedback, you will find that as time goes on people realize this and are less willing to invest in critiquing your stories.
  3. Think about what would help you as a writer – and start there.  With a short time and tight word count, we know everyone is rushed – a few minor typos or punctuation errors are going to creep in. Are they worth commenting on?  If it is every sentence – maybe.  But if is it a handful – maybe that’s not the most constructive thing you can offer your colleague.  

It’s hard work to come up with real, Writer-y feedback.  If you can’t think of any, it’s OK to say so.  That’s a statement in itself.  Take a minute to explain what you felt was right with the piece, in that event, so the author knows “what to do more of.” Don’t have time? It’s OK to let it lie and come back another day. Most writers will appreciate quality feedback over immediate response, so if you don’t have time to do it well, it’s OK to wait until you do. If you are worried about it, you can always pop a quick comment of “loved this – have more extensive feedback but no time to type – back to you tomorrow!”

Quality trumps instant gratification. Star

I hadn't really read this until now, but feel reviewing as a "reader" rather than a "writer" is more easily accepted and understandable. I think when reviewing as "writer" you get into people's personal preferences and almost into inviting people to rewrite your story, which would incline the author to not really accept the feedback? I know personally, I have read tons more than I write (and we are writing for readers), so my reviews come from that vein. 
2018 FFC Ch3 - Exposure
2018 SSC Ch2 - The Bankograph
Sponsored Links

Rosie J View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosie J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 8:34pm
Thanks for this! Super helpful :)
R1 (Fantasy): The Warlock's Rebellion
R2 (Action): Mary's Retirement
R3 G1 (Mystery): Blindsided
GallifreyGirl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GallifreyGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 1:23am
Bump for Round 2
SSC18 R1G3 Fathoms Deep 1st place
R2G21 All the Waters HM(4th)
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 12:32am
ka...BUMP for FFC 2018

Welcome back Flashers!

Welcome to the forums, newbies!!
I'm out, but you can read Iratus' Round 2 (Ch3) story, Dangerous Energies, here!
sidle_by View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sidle_by Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 8:02am
Cheers for all the info! I'm super excited to be taking part, and I can't wait to see what other people come up with!!
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 1:34am
Originally posted by thesaura73 thesaura73 wrote:

Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

Giving Feedback:

1. “I liked your story” is not really very helpful feedback.  While it is nice to hear, the point of feedback is to make us better writers.  So take a minute to talk about *why you liked (or disliked!) a piece.  What, as a writer, struck you?  Strong, defined characters? Descriptions that made it easy to visualize? Dialog that felt so real you thought you were standing there? Just as importantly, what didn’t work for you, and why didn’t it?  “I didn’t like X” isn’t very helpful either – talk about why X didn’t hit you quite right, or what felt off about it.
  2. It is customary to review the work of those who have reviewed yours.  If you do not return feedback, you will find that as time goes on people realize this and are less willing to invest in critiquing your stories.
  3. Think about what would help you as a writer – and start there.  With a short time and tight word count, we know everyone is rushed – a few minor typos or punctuation errors are going to creep in. Are they worth commenting on?  If it is every sentence – maybe.  But if is it a handful – maybe that’s not the most constructive thing you can offer your colleague.  

It’s hard work to come up with real, Writer-y feedback.  If you can’t think of any, it’s OK to say so.  That’s a statement in itself.  Take a minute to explain what you felt was right with the piece, in that event, so the author knows “what to do more of.” Don’t have time? It’s OK to let it lie and come back another day. Most writers will appreciate quality feedback over immediate response, so if you don’t have time to do it well, it’s OK to wait until you do. If you are worried about it, you can always pop a quick comment of “loved this – have more extensive feedback but no time to type – back to you tomorrow!”

Quality trumps instant gratification. Star

I hadn't really read this until now, but feel reviewing as a "reader" rather than a "writer" is more easily accepted and understandable. I think when reviewing as "writer" you get into people's personal preferences and almost into inviting people to rewrite your story, which would incline the author to not really accept the feedback? I know personally, I have read tons more than I write (and we are writing for readers), so my reviews come from that vein. 

Sorry - I wasn't ignoring you Thesaura.  I don't do the other competitions and am only here during FFC. unless someone PMs me. :)

In general, folks who put stories up for critique during these competitions are looking very specifically for "writer" - feedback - how to make the story stronger, what writer-things they are doing less expertly than they'd like, where and how to hone their skills.  There are a jillion places you can get random reads to do reader reviews.  The main value of NYCM competitions for many participants is in the "writer's conference" aspect of the forums - the opportunity to have your work reviewed by someone who understands the art of writing, and can help you pinpoint what's working/not working and WHY.

Any reader can say "I just didn't like that character."  In general, it takes a writer to say, "that character shows inconsistencies in his motivation" or "the character comes off two-dimensional.  you have a chance to add some reality to them by tying this patch of dialog to that background story element. Creating a relationship between them in this fashion will give them both a reason to be in the story, and potentially set up a subplot over there..."

The former is an opinion - and different readers will have different ones.  The latter is a specific tactic or technique which - even if I don't apply it to this character or story - gives me a concrete mechanism for examining weak points in *any of my stories. With rare exceptions, the only place to get that is from another writer.  

So, for someone who has entered the competition to hone their craft, that less-common opportunity to have multiple other writers from broadly varied backgrounds and perspectives offer *writer* feedback on a story is basically the thing that makes that expensive entry fee worth the $.  For that reason, I absolutely stand by the original statement.  These forums are writers posting for feedback from other writers, and it is craft-oriented feedback that provides the greatest value to most participants.

(disclaimer: that's JMHO.  But I do think if you look at prior years' forums and see the type of feedback, and the writers' responses to that, you will find it pretty representative...) :)
I'm out, but you can read Iratus' Round 2 (Ch3) story, Dangerous Energies, here!
KelsNotChels View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KelsNotChels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 5:30pm
Thanks for all of this great information! It’s ALMOST making me not wanna pee my pants!
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by KelsNotChels KelsNotChels wrote:

Thanks for all of this great information! It’s ALMOST making me not wanna pee my pants!

Give it time. In another five hours the prompts will drop and that feeling will return... Lol
KelsNotChels View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KelsNotChels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 2:17pm
BUMP
BornConfessing View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BornConfessing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 4:44pm
This is my first time ever posting, and my first time participating! I think everything went pretty well, but who ever knows with these things? :-) My favorite thing was that the prompt forced me to write a story I would never have otherwise even considered, in a genre I've always wanted to try but never knew where or how to start. We'll see how it turned out (ha!). I can never tell right away. Hope you're all having fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 17>
  Share Topic