NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"This is for all you new people..."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17181920>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 9 Votes, Average 2.78  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ChillyToez View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ChillyToez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 1:01pm
BUMP! 

Just a refresher for those who might need it....
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 5:38pm
BUMP!!!

If you're confused about how to post, go to the the first post on this thread!
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 7:59am
BUMP because I just needed to find this too!
SC2020 R1 H81 Penn Station
100Micro R1G13: Keep It Up
AineKnees View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AineKnees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 8:16am
Thanks so much for this. I think I will always need to go painstakingly through these "how to " posts. So helpful and necessary!
happywriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happywriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 8:42am
Hi,
my name is Alison Barker [aka 'happywriter']
and Ihave absolutely no idea what you are talking about!!!!
Could you explain it in a short and SIMPLE way, please!!
This is what I would like to know, so I don't miss out again because it's so 
complicated.
OK, so what I ended up doing is writing my story out in a post.
I mentioned:
ACHE [title].
G34
Suspense and/or Thriller.
I have no idea how to put on the masterlist.
Can you tell me in 2or 3 simple sentences.
What you wrote assumed a lot of knowledge.
Most people, I imagine, would not have that.
Cheers,
Alison.
p.s Just to be clear, most of what you wrote might have been written in a foreign language.
@
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 7:14am
Bumping for the noobs! <3
mudarcie1 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mudarcie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 10:19am
I've done this a few times and still need to look back at these instructions so thank you to all!

nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 9:06am
"Bump" because someone PMed me looking for info on creating links.

We're talking - but it occurred to me that other newbies might not know this info exists.  Welcome to the forums, newbies.
Mohawk742 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mohawk742 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 11:08am
Nixie, 

The problem (for me at least) seems to be that I have to jump all over the NYCM site to find stuff. I was reading your message to me and got to your request that I comment on this to bring it to the top (a most temporary condition), so I went looking for this post... for more than 30 minutes. Finally found it in a tiny little link, *here* it said, near the bottom of a page. 

I would do those instructions like the old thin QUE manuals (i.e., keystroke instructions with no explanation, just "do this, next, do this, next, etc.). I didn't learn a damned thing EXCEPT how to make things happen in Word Perfect and Lotus, but that's all I wanted to learn. I didn't care why or how, just what to do.

Best,

Chuck
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Mohawk742 Mohawk742 wrote:

Nixie, 
The problem (for me at least) seems to be that I have to jump all over the NYCM site to find stuff. 

That's why folks make an effort to 'bump' posts, and List keepers add links to the top of master lists.  In fact, the lists themselves originate from our frustration at how challenging it can be to find a specific post in this forum software.

Originally posted by Mohawk742 Mohawk742 wrote:

I would do those instructions like the old thin QUE manuals (i.e., keystroke instructions with no explanation, just "do this, next, do this, next, etc.). I didn't learn a damned thing EXCEPT how to make things happen in Word Perfect and Lotus, but that's all I wanted to learn. I didn't care why or how, just what to do.

Broadly, we learn the things that interest us to learn.  If "understanding how computer stuff works" isn't of interest to you, one suspects that computer-oriented instructions won't ever be 'easy'. 

The instructions that do exist are the result of hours of effort by multiple people who had to figure it out themselves - not just the steps for doing what you want to know how to do, but also how to manage the limits that the forum software adds regarding how that information can be presented. In some cases, the forum limits have been too much - which is why this post also includes links out to other locations in order to provide step by step instructions with screen shots. 

Feel free to recreate those instructions yourself in any format that works for you, and post/share them back to the forums if you feel they will be of assistance to others. Some people find that understanding *why they are doing something helps them to troubleshoot when it goes wrong.  if that information isn't of assistance to you, feel free to skip over it. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17181920>
  Share Topic