NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thinking about the rhyming challenge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FerretKittyMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thinking about the rhyming challenge
    Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 2:24pm
I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for the rhyming challenge. One of the thoughts I had was this... 

Do you think it would be OK to mix rhyming styles? Like write most of as a poem, but occasionally throw in a limerick. Kind of as an aside to explain a plot point or have flashbacks written as limericks. Or how about changing up the rhyme scheme? Maybe have sections where some are AABB, then others are ABBA. Again as either an aside or flashback type of thing. 

Let me know what you think. Would either one be a good idea? Or do you think it would interrupt the story flow and/or make it harder to read? Not sure if I'd actually do either. Or that writing in either style would be feasible. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

CamsynClair View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 9:40pm
My personal chaotic idea for this challenge is to try my wackiest attempt at an entry (after all, it's the inaugural challenge!) then keep feedback in mind for next year! Maybe write a few practice pieces and read them out loud to see how jarring the change in rhyme scheme is?
jhenn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 10:45am
Being unaware of who is judging and what unwritten "rules" there are, I think you could do whatever works for your story.

Personally I think the ABAB/AABB switch could highlight a change of tone or pace to your reader. 

Can't wait!
BethBirley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BethBirley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2022 at 3:54am
I'm just waiting to hear what the theme and emotion will be, first time application
this writer defines herself as she/her and is neurodiverse.
just_a_pause View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote just_a_pause Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 7:47am
I'm so excited to find out what it's going to be like.

I definitely think that change of rhyming structure/breaking the rhyme altogether can be used to massive effect. So don't do it randomly, but do it with a purpose.
Chuck1966 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 6:48am
There ought be a specific reason for the change -- a change of voice or scene.  I have a long narrative poem, I've been working on for years, that's mostly in ottava rima (ABABABCC).  At one point a character on his deathbed sings a song and requests that those at bedside each sing a song as well.  Each song is in a different rhyme-scheme (and one is in blank verse).
"When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -- C.S. Lewis
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic