NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The New Master List!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The New Master List!!!
    Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 9:42pm

Got to say this works! They did a great job!
Don't know what I was expecting, but this surpassed it.
I guess I am unemployed as a master list maintainer now!
Probably Someone View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Probably Someone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 10:25pm
It's really cool that they did this, but I personally prefer the old way. Theirs is really hard to navigate from a phone. 

Edited by Probably Someone - 19 Oct 2021 at 10:25pm
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Probably Someone Probably Someone wrote:

It's really cool that they did this, but I personally prefer the old way. Theirs is really hard to navigate from a phone. 

They have some phone specific instructions there. I think turning the phone
its side might help a lot. I guess I will try using my phone and take a look.
Works great on my comp.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 10:34pm

Yeah, I see what you mean, but it is not that bad, it scrolls fast.
Maybe use the contact form to suggest something to them?
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 11:36pm

Like anything, it will take some getting used to - but as someone who has spent no-kidding *hundreds* of hours maintaining a ML (and that was when there were only 4 contests and they weren't this big) - even if it does end up being a tiny bit less jazzy than the "old way" (I suspect it wont - just gotta get acclimated) - it will be fantastic for the listmamas and papas out there to actually get to use and enjoy the forums.  The ML reliably atE a week to ten days of my life every round and quickly grew to the point that I wasn't able to do anything else.

Not a complaint - I loved every bit of it - but a reminder that "a minor inconvenience, spread across hundreds of people" is a fair trade. :)  

My congrats to all of the list-mamas and list-papas out there who spread this concept out from its FFC origins to every corner of NYCM. When writers write, they "own" their stuff. When fanfic is so awesome it becomes canon - that's some S***, right there.  Y'all turned the list from 'a crazy idea that worked' into NYCM canon, and generations of new NYCMers will benefit. 

Edited by nixie - 19 Oct 2021 at 11:39pm
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

Like anything, it will take some getting used to - but as someone who has spent no-kidding *hundreds* of hours maintaining a ML (and that was when there were only 4 contests and they weren't this big) - even if it does end up being a tiny bit less jazzy than the "old way" (I suspect it wont - just gotta get acclimated) - it will be fantastic for the listmamas and papas out there to actually get to use and enjoy the forums.  The ML reliably atE a week to ten days of my life every round and quickly grew to the point that I wasn't able to do anything else.

Not a complaint - I loved every bit of it - but a reminder that "a minor inconvenience, spread across hundreds of people" is a fair trade. :)  

My congrats to all of the list-mamas and list-papas out there who spread this concept out from its FFC origins to every corner of NYCM. When writers write, they "own" their stuff. When fanfic is so awesome it becomes canon - that's some S***, right there.  Y'all turned the list from 'a crazy idea that worked' into NYCM canon, and generations of new NYCMers will benefit. 

Could not say it better!
Probably Someone View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Probably Someone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 10:17am
Point taken -- I didn't mean to seem ungrateful for all the work put in! I just mostly meant that it's easier to navigate as a static post than a windowed, scrollable document. I absolutely appreciate and am in perpetual awe of all of you potent listomancers!
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 11:31am

it will be fantastic for the listmamas and papas out there to actually get to use and enjoy the forums.

I've read SO many stories already... and it's only been a few days. I mean, I know 250s are pretty short, but I almost never get a chance to read stories in the first week when (wo)manning a Master List. It's like Christmas.

:)
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 11:34am
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

it will be fantastic for the listmamas and papas out there to actually get to use and enjoy the forums.

I've read SO many stories already... and it's only been a few days. I mean, I know 250s are pretty short, but I almost never get a chance to read stories in the first week when (wo)manning a Master List. It's like Christmas.

:)

Yup! And if my memory serves me it was Nixie that started the first list.
So, many thanks to Nixie!
Mea Anders View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mea Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 4:02pm
I like the new master list too, especially on my computer. On Android, it's easier to navigate if you check the "desktop site" option. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>