NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The New and Improved 1807 Thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The New and Improved 1807 Thread
    Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 5:02pm
For the record, I avoided Judge 1807 this round. But given the, um, history, I was curious about whether and how the tone of the feedback may have changed since Round 1. So for anyone willing, here's your opportunity...

Sponsored Links

JJ_84 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JJ_84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 5:44pm
I had judge 1807 and on first read the comments stung a bit!
But then I reread and actually agreed with his/her points. I scored 14 points for this story so couldn't be too disappointed!

''Cassandra and the deplorable, atrocious, not nice, very #lame day''   

{1807} The prose is clean, crisp, and focused. Your protagonist is lively and intriguing. The dialogue sounds authentic and feels sharply defined. You excel at describing specific details of situations with clarity and an acute attention to detail. Good work.

{1807} While the prose (form) of the story is proficient and functional, the story itself (content) is a bit thin and pat. I'm not sure what the point of the narrative is, if there is one at all. The ending is glaringly perfunctory. While not entirely a comedy, in my view, the story maintains a certain level of amusement. Is this story much ado about nothing?

Edited by JJ_84 - 09 Nov 2017 at 5:45pm
Round 1 Home Sweet Home

lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by JJ_84 JJ_84 wrote:

I had judge 1807 and on first read the comments stung a bit!
But then I reread and actually agreed with his/her points. I scored 14 points for this story so couldn't be too disappointed!

''Cassandra and the deplorable, atrocious, not nice, very #lame day''   

{1807} The prose is clean, crisp, and focused. Your protagonist is lively and intriguing. The dialogue sounds authentic and feels sharply defined. You excel at describing specific details of situations with clarity and an acute attention to detail. Good work.

{1807} While the prose (form) of the story is proficient and functional, the story itself (content) is a bit thin and pat. I'm not sure what the point of the narrative is, if there is one at all. The ending is glaringly perfunctory. While not entirely a comedy, in my view, the story maintains a certain level of amusement. Is this story much ado about nothing?

Yikes. Simon Cowell strikes again.

But congratulations on the 14! :) 
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 7:12pm
I had Judge 1807 this time and he/she was the only judge I wasn't annoyed by! Haha.

The positive was great:
{1807}  I like the delicate, sensitive sensibility of this piece. Unique take on the writing prompts. The prose is clean, lean, and highly readable. 

And I completely agree with the suggestive feedback: 
{1807}  Ultimately, the story feels oversimplified, pat, and easy. The narrative could benefit from a more firmly defined underlying structure. The ghost element is peripheral and incidental, but not exactly crucial to the story. The ending felt flat to me. 

So for me, a very positive experience with 1807!! Especially compared to the other two I had (who clearly misinterpreted my story).
Flash Fiction 2019 CH1 GR3 Sew Out of Time (Sci-Fi)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic