NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Inevetable Progress Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 52>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Deschain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 6:21am
Originally posted by WhistlerCrowe WhistlerCrowe wrote:

Originally posted by Deschain Deschain wrote:

do you have a fun/compelling sleuth yet? i haven't written a mystery before, but i think if i were in your shoes, the first thing i'd do is create a sleuth worth reading about then assume everything else will sort itself out... 

I've got a sleuth who I think is very compelling. I've already introduced him during the first scene. My current problem is how to execute the crime/mystery portion of things. I've already introduced little bits of it/foreshadowing into the story - currently on scene 3 - but I know that his discovery of the crime is going to have to come soon for me to be able to complete the whole arc of him solving the crime within 2500 words. 

I guess maybe I should just throw the word count out the window for now and just get the story out and worry about edits later.

I ran out of gas writing from the beginning of the story last night, so to hit my goal I jumped ahead to the ending. hope it worked out for you!
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 6:22am
Completely starting over because I got four pages in and there was no ghost (I got ghost story) LOL

awinchester View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote awinchester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 7:23am
Thriller, y'all. I can't thrill. Guess my imagination is too boring. I have all kinds of settings and characters tumbling through my head, even a few sentences that could serve as a beginning, but thriller is very "plot-driven" and frankly, I'm more of a pantser. Maybe something will come around on the last day... :(
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 7:31am

The "story" is still inside my head... I say "story" loosely, because really it is just a handful of characters sassing. They haven't actually done anything of note. 

But it's only Wednesday, so I have no angst that there are no words. Yet.
CamsynClair View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 10:05am
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

The "story" is still inside my head... I say "story" loosely, because really it is just a handful of characters sassing. They haven't actually done anything of note. 

But it's only Wednesday, so I have no angst that there are no words. Yet.

"Just a handful of characters sassing" are we writing the same characters?? LOL I put out an SOS to the Discord because the 500 words of my RomCom I have so far are 95% snarky banter, 5% dialogue tags supporting said banter LOL. But apparently that's not terribly abnormal for RomCom, I just need to get the actual plot going...
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

well, I'm officially in edit mode.  Reasonably tight at 3,114 words.  By the time that gets to 2500 I'm going to have to peel off at least a hundred more to re-explain the things that got lost.  Might even need to get rid of a thrill or two.

Possibly a romcom.

I am having the opposite problem, I need to find more words and cute things to have happen. Stuck at 1100 words. 

I solved my word problem by giving all my characters bad Russian accents.  No articles in Russian.

I did NOT do the stupid Star Trek trick where Checkov can't pronounce a V.  Are you kidding?  It's the THIRD letter in the alphabet!  Ah, Beh, Veh Geh Deh...  You know, VICTOR is a Russian Name?  Vladimir?  PaVel ChekoV?  Who came up with that crap?

That's the difference between suspension of belief and termination of brain function.
This sig intentionally blank
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 10:46am

well, I'm officially in edit mode.  Reasonably tight at 3,114 words.  By the time that gets to 2500 I'm going to have to peel off at least a hundred more to re-explain the things that got lost.  Might even need to get rid of a thrill or two.

Possibly a romcom.

I am having the opposite problem, I need to find more words and cute things to have happen. Stuck at 1100 words. 

I solved my word problem by giving all my characters bad Russian accents.  No articles in Russian.

I did NOT do the stupid Star Trek trick where Checkov can't pronounce a V.  Are you kidding?  It's the THIRD letter in the alphabet!  Ah, Beh, Veh Geh Deh...  You know, VICTOR is a Russian Name?  Vladimir?  PaVel ChekoV?  Who came up with that crap?

That's the difference between suspension of belief and termination of brain function.

Because of that stuff happening on TV and in movies is why so many of us get dinged by judges in the screenplay. Sue got called out by all three judges because she served pot brownies to the judges of a brownie baking contest, and they got high right away gave a first place. The NYCM judges said that it takes about 20 min for the pot to start taking effect after you ingest it, so the judges would have been far down the line by that time - who cares, it's a comedy short screenplay, roll with it..
Proteus View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proteus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Sqrlmom Sqrlmom wrote:

I got Sci Fi and drawing blanks. I never watch, never read the stuff- I have an idea what to do with it but it’s not coming together yet. They don’t have to be 2,500 words- that’s just the maximum. I should stick to the microfiction from now on, I guess. Dead

Group 48 by any chance?

I am not only a short story noob(have mostly written plays up until now), but I am a total sci-fi noob--at least as a writer. Have seen enough films to load me up a bit, but . . . yeah it is definitely not anything resembling a comfort zone. 

Edited by Proteus - 25 Jan 2023 at 11:08am
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 11:28am

Possibly a romcom.

Because of that stuff happening on TV and in movies is why so many of us get dinged by judges in the screenplay. Sue got called out by all three judges because she served pot brownies to the judges of a brownie baking contest, and they got high right away gave a first place. The NYCM judges said that it takes about 20 min for the pot to start taking effect after you ingest it, so the judges would have been far down the line by that time - who cares, it's a comedy short screenplay, roll with it..

<soapbox>
Because in many cases it's easy to fix the problem.  There is no H in Russian.  Th went into the dustbin of phonetics for almost everyone.  Make the phonetic 'hotel' and listen to the native Russian speaker struggle.  All they had to do is ask the Russian speaking actor who played the role.

They typically replace the H with a G sound.

A little effort.  That's all I ask.  A lot of these brain numbing issues just need a little work.
"These are special, and will hit them almost immediately".  Done.  Problem solved.

Ok, Screenplay.  Limited space, no time.  They get that one for free.  Star Trek?  Big budget sci-fi special effects thriller?  No chance.  Not when the guy's name already has that letter in it. 
</soapbox>

I can't understand why people don't like to watch movies with me.
This sig intentionally blank
snuffles View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snuffles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 12:44pm
Quote I did NOT do the stupid Star Trek trick where Checkov can't pronounce a V.  Are you kidding?  It's the THIRD letter in the alphabet!  Ah, Beh, Veh Geh Deh...  You know, VICTOR is a Russian Name?  Vladimir?  PaVel ChekoV?  Who came up with that crap?

There is also no "W" sound in Russian. they pronounce it "V" so that may be where the confusion came from on the writers side. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 52>