NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Inevetable Progress Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 52>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Inevetable Progress Thread
    Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 7:35pm
There is always one, so I figured I'd just start it so I can go play chess with my wife...

I know where, when, what, and kind of who.  Being a little self-aggrandizing like I am it's set in the same universe as the really big stories that have consumed me for the last couple years, but in the future.

Which means I can use this as the basis for another chapter in that future history, with different characters.

Opening paragraph is written, probably not done.  Still need an outline, but I know where it's going, which means likely a first draft later tonight (after chess) or tomorrow.  Edit next week.  Turn in on Sunday, hate myself on Monday.

Better than last year, in other words.
This sig intentionally blank
TessaK View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TessaK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 7:52pm
Stared at the computer for hours last night before giving up. I’m having trouble reconciling my character (downhill skier) with my genre (fantasy). I know there are hundreds of ways to make it work, but I feel very constricted. This is the first time I’ve really struggled to pull a good idea out of my prompts.

I wrote 700 words today but it feels a bit like I’m tiptoeing around the story as i write. Like if I type too loudly the idea will get scared and run away. I’m just hoping something will click and I’ll suddenly be inspired. I know how it begins and ends, but there’s a gigantic hole in the middle of my story. I have a feeling that’s where the good stuff is hiding!
SumFemina View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SumFemina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 8:26pm
Couldn't come up with a worthy plot in the first 17 hours. Despaired. Awoke at 3 am today. Figured something out between 4 and 5. Yay!!! 

I owe thanks to whomever posted that tomato story link. That made me see Spy through a whole new lens.

But I can't write just yet. The Writers Weekly one day contest is on, and I have to write for that one first!

Betzer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Betzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 9:03pm
I know my three main characters (four if you count sentient toys lol!), and I have a general idea for the plot but have yet to outline it and work out all the kinks! My local writing group is meeting tomorrow, so I’m hoping to have my outline ready by then so I can’t just crank it out!
SS2022 R1 Story: The Black Sheep

SS2023 R1: The Wee Shepherd
Betzer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Betzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by TessaK TessaK wrote:

I’m having trouble reconciling my character (downhill skier) with my genre (fantasy).

I wrote 700 words today but it feels a bit like I’m tiptoeing around the story as i write. Like if I type too loudly the idea will get scared and run away. I’m just hoping something will click and I’ll suddenly be inspired. I know how it begins and ends, but there’s a gigantic hole in the middle of my story. I have a feeling that’s where the good stuff is hiding!

Oof! Those two are pretty incongruous! But I can’t wait to see how it all comes together Big smile What is your subject?

CHartman View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 9:08pm
I have a good idea (fingers crossed Im not the only one who thinks so) and an outline of the main scenes but I am feeling drained and tired tonight and trying to write energetic action/adventure scenes is proving to difficult so I think I will pick it up again after a good night's sleep!
Betzer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Betzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by SumFemina SumFemina wrote:

Awoke at 3 am today. Figured something out between 4 and 5. Yay!!! 

Why is it that the best ideas come in the middle of the night? 😂 Glad to hear you found something that works! And good luck on your other writing contest!

thebatinthehat View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebatinthehat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by SumFemina SumFemina wrote:

Couldn't come up with a worthy plot in the first 17 hours. Despaired. Awoke at 3 am today. Figured something out between 4 and 5. Yay!!! 

I owe thanks to whomever posted that tomato story link. That made me see Spy through a whole new lens.

But I can't write just yet. The Writers Weekly one day contest is on, and I have to write for that one first!

Tomato story... I'm curious. Lol Do you still have the link?
thebatinthehat View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebatinthehat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by TessaK TessaK wrote:

Stared at the computer for hours last night before giving up. I’m having trouble reconciling my character (downhill skier) with my genre (fantasy). I know there are hundreds of ways to make it work, but I feel very constricted. This is the first time I’ve really struggled to pull a good idea out of my prompts.

Those are tough - I can't wait to see what you do!
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 9:44pm
No progress, found out friend in Italy died and her dog needs a home (if any of you are in the EU and would like to adopt a nice Irish setter who is 13 years old, please advise), spent much of afternoon trying to find a solution, came up with some story ideas but not many, fingers crossed for tomorrow.

But - I never get anything done the first day of this one. I also never do well in this one. I'm sure those two are unrelated LOL

Edited by BarbaraFL - 22 Jan 2023 at 5:11am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 52>