NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Future of NYCMidnight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrLipto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Future of NYCMidnight
    Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 7:20pm
Hey, everybody.

With so many participants in the Short Story Competition, with apparently growing numbers in the other arenas, and so much incisive discussion regarding genre and judging, what to you see as the future of NYCMidnight?

That is, what changes do you expect they’re going to make and what changes would you like to see?

As far as I can tell, this is the best writing contest on the internet. Diverse voices, solid feedback, welcoming and helpful online community. But how do you see these competitions changing over time?

(~29 hours until SSC Round Two announcements. Tick tock...)

scriber View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scriber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 7:53pm
I foresee an increase in complaints from Facebook users that will never enter any contests that cost money because #scam and how dare those judges be compensated for their time! LOL

I did notice this year the terms and conditions were slightly updated, which makes sense as the contest expands. Some users might appreciate a way to "mute" other users, I didn't notice quite so much clashing last year, but that may have been because I was a newbie. It would be neat if there was an expansion into writing workshops, even if it were member run/based. 

Some of the genres might do with a bit of tweaking for the SSC, because some of them imo they are a bit screenplay orientated. ie: political satire instead of just satire. I know some people don't see any issue with it considering satire often gets political anyways, but it probably does end up limiting people who are unfamiliar with the genre. 

Great topic, by the way!

Edited by scriber - 26 Mar 2018 at 7:53pm
Lookit There View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lookit There Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 11:32pm
Personally, I'd like to see a cap on the number of contestants - each year it seems to grow by huge numbers of entrants, which quite frankly makes me smell greed. The larger it becomes, I worry that the judges may be stretched too thin to really give their total focus. 
Or maybe I just want to increase my own odds of winning. Wink
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 1:16am
Originally posted by Lookit There Lookit There wrote:

Personally, I'd like to see a cap on the number of contestants - each year it seems to grow by huge numbers of entrants, which quite frankly makes me smell greed. The larger it becomes, I worry that the judges may be stretched too thin to really give their total focus. 

I am with you on the limiting numbers, I would be willing to pay more for decent judging and feedback, say cap it at 2500 as they have had nothing but trouble with even less numbers over the years.  I think it was capped at 4000 this year, I saw some advertising stating hurry as we are running outa spaces.  But, from the quality of the judging and feedback years past - I am not whining here, but some of the stories that would win a heat were just shake your head, the feedback was laughable sometimes too - the feedback has improves since they started numbering the judges.
MattrickBT View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattrickBT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 1:50am
I think a great addition would be a loyalty discount, so that if you've competed in say two of the competitions in the past 12 months, you get an extra five bucks off. A nice little reward for the customers who keep returning.

Other than that, I guess slightly smaller heats, maybe? Rounding them off at 25 instead of going up to 32/33. It just increases people's odds of advancing, and that's a good thing to entice people. This would probably result in a couple dozen extra heats, so I'm not sure if it would create a bunch of extra work in adding to judges deliberation of ranking, or if it makes it easier because they have less stories to consider.

I don't have an opinions on feedback or judges. I don't really care if I get feedback. I read it, but what you're going to get in 150 words is only going to be so valuable. Best use of judge feedback for me is to identify what I feel the problems are with my story, and then see how that lines up with the judges. If I'm way off, it means I might learn how to expand gauging the quality of my work, and if I'm right on, then that's a sign that I've got a fairly good grasp on identifying the problems in my own work. I most use them to see how well I can judge my own work. I expect the major point of contention this round to be my format, obviously. Also a near total lack of description. A slight disjointed last act, and the climax of the suspense coming too soon.
4th - R1 G52 The Bad Man

R2|H14The Hour
scriber View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scriber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 7:19am
Originally posted by MattrickBT MattrickBT wrote:

I think a great addition would be a loyalty discount, so that if you've competed in say two of the competitions in the past 12 months, you get an extra five bucks off. A nice little reward for the customers who keep returning.

Other than that, I guess slightly smaller heats, maybe? Rounding them off at 25 instead of going up to 32/33.

Agreed. In some ways I also agree with capping the contest as Lookit There and Sauve mentioned. Either way, I'd imagine they'll eventually have to cap it, or find more judges.

Edited by scriber - 27 Mar 2018 at 7:20am
cvolion View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cvolion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 8:44am
In the future, the total number of entrants will be capped due to scarcity of qualified judges and a global shortage of computing power brought about by the blockchain mining consortiums.

Entrants will have a crystal attached to their palm which tracks their annual participation cycles. The chosen will be allowed to participate until, after a set number of first round losses, their crystal turns red. When this happens participants are taken to Carrousel where they are ceremonially stripped of their forum rights in front of their cheering peers. Thus cast out, they are never to enter the NYC Midnight competition again. In this manner space is made for new entrants who enter with their own unblemished crystal and NYC Midnight utopia maintains equilibrium.

A plucky resistance will naturally form in response, claiming that there are other contests and opportunities beyond the perfect world of NYC Midnight, but these forum trolls will be hunted down by NYC Midnight Blackbelts and eliminated.

Or... Maybe they raise the entry fees by a few dollars and get a few more judges, potentially eliminating frivolous entries and addressing the sheer number of stories that need to be evaluated and judged.

Crystals or adjustments to fees and staffing-- it could go either way. Wink
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 8:59am
Originally posted by cvolion cvolion wrote:

Entrants will have a crystal attached to their palm which tracks their annual participation cycles. The chosen will be allowed to participate until, after a set number of first round losses, their crystal turns red.

Too obvious.  The book was so much better than the movie.

Given the rate they're growing more contests with a lower maximum number of participants.  That or they need to get creative with their judging pool; they've found the right formula, now they need to expand on it without breaking the parts that work.
This Sig Intentionally Blank
Tim G View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Lookit There Lookit There wrote:

I second all this. Especially the last part.
Flash Fiction R1: The Only Friend of Will McCloud (Comedy)
Gudlyf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gudlyf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 9:54am
Originally posted by MattrickBT MattrickBT wrote:

I think a great addition would be a loyalty discount ...

This would be great, and a smart move for NYCM as well. It would help force the hand of those of us who consider not entering the next contest, when not doing so would mean losing the loyalty discount.

But I'd also be up for a limit on entries, if for nothing else than getting feedback quicker.
MF100-1: 'Sealed Fate'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic