NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feb Flash Fiction Writing Battle Results

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 40>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feb Flash Fiction Writing Battle Results
    Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 5:29am

Hi everyone, the Battle series would like to introduce a new flavor from the usual Screenwriting Battles... Flash Fiction. We are now doing two Flash Fiction and at least one Screenwriting Battle per year.

Edit x5: Psst there's a few winners from these forums!! Winner interviews and stories can be viewed here: https://www.writingbattle.com/past-winners?month=February&year=2022

Edit x4: Registration for the Feb Flash Fiction battle can no longer be joined. Feel free to sign up for the site, or a future competition though. May Screenwriting Battle is up after this one, then another Flash Fiction competition in August (minimum $5K cash prize pool).

Writing Battle is a year old and it was born from the NYC Midnight forums. I noticed that the feedback that I got from the forums was incredibly helpful. Some of the feedback was on par with the judge's feedback. So I thought, 'Wouldn't it be interesting to create a competition where...'

1. Competitors were also judges (judging different genres than their own, so they would be more likely to be fair). A winner in each genre, so the genres aren't competing.
  2. The ability to redraw prompts -- like draws in poker.

So I did just that with the help of many people on this forum. @Suave, @Leila, @ej, @cat (sorry I don't have the energy to look up everyone's username). Many more. Thank you!

The Writing Battle structure has gone through many iterations. Recently, it has gone through the biggest change yet... it's way less confusing! So if you were turned off by the rules before, it is much easier to explain now.

• You are dealt prompts and start writing on February 4th, 10PM EST.
  • Submit your (up to 1000 Word) Story by February 6th, 10PM EST.
  • Receive a schedule for the 5 Duels that you are assigned to judge (spread out over 3 weeks)
  • Everyone Judges their 5 Duels which seeds and progresses a massive tournament.
  • The Top Two stories in each genre are given to industry professional judges to give their own feedback and decide the four winners from the four possible genres.
  • The Four Winners split the CASH prize pool! And the peer feedback is released to everyone.
  • Winners announced on March 9th.

Alright... so what's a Duel?

A Duel is between two stories where a Judge reads, gives feedback, then decides which story is better. A Duel must be completed within 23 hours from the assigned start time.

Check out the Past Winners from the Battles last year, read more about the Rules! Oh and after the Finalists are given to the Professional Judges (and the Duels are completed), you can share your stories on our Forums with a click-of-a-button and read/comment on each others entries.

Ask me any questions that you have! Please spread the word if you or someone you know might be interested in a competition like this. I'm biased obviously -- and the competition is by no means perfect (yet) -- but I think it's pretty fun. Thanks for reading this thread :)

Cheers,

-Max

Edited by maxbjork - 29 Mar 2022 at 7:08pm
iBenj View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 6:20am
My big question is, is it global?

Because I couldn't spot anything when I checked out the rules (although I'll admit my brain was a little fried from proofreading when I looked, so I might have missed it).

And I'm really tempted, down here in sunny Australia...
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 6:29am
Originally posted by iBenj iBenj wrote:

My big question is, is it global?

Because I couldn't spot anything when I checked out the rules (although I'll admit my brain was a little fried from proofreading when I looked, so I might have missed it).

And I'm really tempted, down here in sunny Australia...

Hey @iBenj, yes it is international! I should probably put that a few places on the site because that's not the first time I've been asked that...

We have quite a few regular participants from Australia :)

Hope to see you in the competition!
ZoeLou View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ZoeLou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 6:38am
Another Aussie here, and very intrigued! I’d love to join but I happen to be moving across the country that day… so I think I’d spontaneously combust from the stress haha.

Any idea when the next flash fiction comp will be?
SSC R1: The Many Faces of Gemini

All my NYCM work: Author Archive
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 6:48am
Originally posted by ZoeLou ZoeLou wrote:

Another Aussie here, and very intrigued! I’d love to join but I happen to be moving across the country that day… so I think I’d spontaneously combust from the stress haha.

Any idea when the next flash fiction comp will be?

Haha I would NOT recommend writing in a competition while moving across the country -- from experience -- I've done something similar with an NYC Midnight competition on a 5 1/2 hour plane with two babies. Got 2 points for that one LOL

The next Flash Fiction Battle will be in August. They're all 3 months apart.

February - Flash Fiction
May - Screenwriting
August - Flash Fiction
November - Screenwriting

(Oh, @iBenj... I updated the site. Thanks for bringing that to my attention)
GaleGirl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GaleGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 10:26am
Okay, I'm in. This is a great idea. It really helps with the interminable wait between rounds in the SSC or FF contests.

Thanks for offering this.

Big smile
LadyArkham View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LadyArkham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 11:47am
I saw someone else reference this, looked at it, immediately was like "Oh yes I am totally in" and forgot that 1) the 250 MF final is that day (not expecting to get through but you never know,) and 2) I work 8-7 on that Saturday.

But I'm in it now! I am looking forward to the challenge, and the feedback!

I did the Shock Totem flash fiction competition several times and loved that our stories were judged by the other writers, so this sounds really fascinating.
Revitalized_Creative View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Revitalized_Creative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 12:24pm
I'm doing it!!
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by LadyArkham LadyArkham wrote:

I saw someone else reference this, looked at it, immediately was like "Oh yes I am totally in" and forgot that 1) the 250 MF final is that day (not expecting to get through but you never know,) and 2) I work 8-7 on that Saturday.

But I'm in it now! I am looking forward to the challenge, and the feedback!

I did the Shock Totem flash fiction competition several times and loved that our stories were judged by the other writers, so this sounds really fascinating.

@LadyArkham -- Wow 8-7 is a long shift... yikes! Thanks for joining and good luck in the competition :) Another participant talked to me about the 250 MF final results being on the Thursday or Friday. And the MF Finals being that weekend. If you make it into those finals, feel free to email me and I can always give you a refund. It's no big deal :) Good luck in the 250 MF!

@GaleGirl -- Thanks for the kind words, and yes it's something fun to do in-between larger competitions like NYC Midnight. Hopefully we'll get there someday...

@Revitalized_Creative -- Great! Good luck in the battle :) Let me know if you have any questions.
Smueller View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smueller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 12:51pm
This looks like a lot of fun. I'm in.

Stephanie Mueller
Read my 1st Round story titled https://forums.nycmidnight.com/r1-g201-heirlooms-magic-fantasy_topic45466.html#478786
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 40>