NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The End

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

I think we should push this to the @feedback alias so that the information about the scripts can be updating. 

Good idea - I've just emailed them. Will let you all know the answer!
All my stories are here!
dias View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 4:57pm
Response from @feedback below:

Sorry for the delay responding and thank you for bringing this to our attention!  There are no penalties for using or not using "The End" and this is not communicated to the judges.  In our judging forms, the only penalties judges can give are based on the formatting listed in the rules (the file type, font, title page, logline, and anonymity).  If there are any other violations such as not following the assignment or page length, the judges are asked to disqualify rather than deducting points.  So, judges should not be deducting points for this.  That being said, we apologize for any inconsistency in the feedback and on our website.  We will make sure to communicate to this particular judge that it could have been worded differently to express that it was their opinion not to include "The End" rather than an error or mistake on the writer's part.  We hope this helps, but please let us know if you have any other questions or need anything else.  Sorry again for the delay and thank you for participating!

So, sounds like it's a matter of personal preference, and the judges may express a different preference in the feedback, but they won't (or shouldn't) deduct points for it.

I've suggested it may be helpful if they update the "How to Write a Screenplay" guidance to reflect that using "The End" isn't compulsory.
All my stories are here!
Snarkmaiden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snarkmaiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by dias dias wrote:

Response from @feedback below:

Sorry for the delay responding and thank you for bringing this to our attention!  There are no penalties for using or not using "The End" and this is not communicated to the judges.  In our judging forms, the only penalties judges can give are based on the formatting listed in the rules (the file type, font, title page, logline, and anonymity).  If there are any other violations such as not following the assignment or page length, the judges are asked to disqualify rather than deducting points.  So, judges should not be deducting points for this.  That being said, we apologize for any inconsistency in the feedback and on our website.  We will make sure to communicate to this particular judge that it could have been worded differently to express that it was their opinion not to include "The End" rather than an error or mistake on the writer's part.  We hope this helps, but please let us know if you have any other questions or need anything else.  Sorry again for the delay and thank you for participating!

Does this imply that meeting the assignment (ie using the prompts) is a straight pass/fail condition? As in, they check that you've hit the genre, subject and character, and thereafter they don't mark down (or up) for strong or weak prompt use?
Tim G View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 4:12am
This bothers me for a couple of reasons.

1) the feedback from the judges suggesting that 'The End' takes people out of the story rather overlooks the fact that when you reach THE END it is time to leave the story!

2) the feedback from the judges is right because it's convention, and that bothers me too as I can think of so many great films that don't 'FADE OUT' but smash to black (or white) or just start the credits over the final shot (most films 1960 or earlier) that it seems odd to prescribe it.

I guess it's like 'good bye'... we all say it, we just don't literally mean it (God be by ye)...

Edited by Tim G - 02 Aug 2018 at 7:27am
Rhyming Story R2: Flying On Empty (Thriller)
dias View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 6:29am
@Snarkmaiden - I think they're saying it's pass/fail in terms of meeting the minimum threshold e.g. if you completely ignore one of the prompts, the penalty should be disqualification rather than deducting points. Beyond that though, I guess it's open to the judges to rate your story more highly for effective use of prompts. I do wonder about this though because I hardly ever get feedback (good or bad) on prompt usage.

@Tim G - good knowledge re. goodbye! Agreed re different conventions (I'm thinking of those independent arthouse films that end with "Fin"). Personally, I wouldn't have thought to put "The End" if it wasn't for NCYM's guidance. I don't do it for my prose stories, and in the context of limited line space it seems kind of superfluous when you already have "Fade Out".
All my stories are here!
Snarkmaiden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snarkmaiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 9:21am
Originally posted by dias dias wrote:

@Snarkmaiden - I think they're saying it's pass/fail in terms of meeting the minimum threshold e.g. if you completely ignore one of the prompts, the penalty should be disqualification rather than deducting points. Beyond that though, I guess it's open to the judges to rate your story more highly for effective use of prompts. I do wonder about this though because I hardly ever get feedback (good or bad) on prompt usage.

I've only once had feedback on prompt use, and that was a judge musing whether or not he should disqualify me on the basis of it being very minimal (fortunately for me he didn't). Once out of nine rounds of competition. It would be really helpful to know if prompt usage beyond the minimum required to not get disqualified is actually a criteria in marking!
dias View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote dias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 1:08pm
Just to close this out - NYCM have now updated the How to Write A Screenplay guidance to read:

The other important transition besides "FADE IN:" that needs to be included in your screenplay is "FADE OUT.", which represents the end of the film.  There should be no further text beyond "FADE OUT." besides "THE END" which is double spaced and centered on the page.  "THE END" is not necessary though, since "FADE OUT" designates the end of the screenplay as well.

All my stories are here!
JeffreyHowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 4:29pm
Clap

Well done!
Tim G View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 3:55am
So in essence, THE END becomes a code for ‘look, I achieved all this well within my page count :)
Rhyming Story R2: Flying On Empty (Thriller)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123