NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The End

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 10:21am
Different positive feedback for me too, and it was specific to the story so I know they read it at least!

Originally posted by Snarkmaiden Snarkmaiden wrote:

But given that my second and third judges thought it was predictable, non-twisty, and had 'nothing to set it apart from the herd'

Speechless!

All my stories are here!
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 10:38am
I usually include "The End" and have never received a comment about it. The one time I omitted it I was dinged for it. There is no consistency. 
Snarkmaiden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snarkmaiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Vernacula Vernacula wrote:

I usually include "The End" and have never received a comment about it. The one time I omitted it I was dinged for it. There is no consistency. 

I'm going to feed back on that to NYCM - it doesn't seem at all fair that we could be being penalised either way. If the scores are very tight (which I can well believe they are), it could be the difference between moving on and going out.
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Snarkmaiden Snarkmaiden wrote:

Originally posted by Vernacula Vernacula wrote:

I'm going to feed back on that to NYCM - it doesn't seem at all fair that we could be being penalised either way. If the scores are very tight (which I can well believe they are), it could be the difference between moving on and going out.

Totally agreed. It would be nice to have a more detailed rubric, for sure. I've seen feedback centered solely on logline. Huh?
Snarkmaiden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snarkmaiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 11:00am
I don't know if this is significant, but 1795 was a final challenge judge for the 2018 Short Screenplay contest.

And 1738 judged both that and the 2017 Screenplay final.

So it might be worth looking closely at their feedback for pointers as to what they go for!

(Yeah, now I'm entering terminal stages of freakout before tomorrow's final...)

Edited by Snarkmaiden - 20 Jul 2018 at 11:00am
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Gandalf Gandalf wrote:

I was just coming here to complain about that. I got (as the only piece of negative criticism from {1795}):

"I'd remove 'The End' from the piece. You've spent all this time bringing the audience into this very interesting story but now you pull them out right away by throwing 'The End' at them. Let them find their own way out."

WTF?

I had a judge say EXACTLY the same thing to me in last year's screenplay comp. Almost verbatim. So I stopped using "The End" after that.
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
dias View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 11:31am
Thanks for all the responses - guess the answer is we're damned if we do and damned if we don't!

I think I will just drop The End in the next round (especially if 1795 is still judging it) and try and put the spare line space to good use.
All my stories are here!
manifestlynot View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote manifestlynot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 1:04pm
I used “The End” in R1 and didn’t in R2 just because I didn’t have the line to spare, and didn’t get dinged either way. So *shrug*
Rhyming R1: Lionheart (Hist fic)
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 1:13pm
I think we should push this to the @feedback alias so that the information about the scripts can be updating. I think I added it as well, or was tempted to, based upon the information I see on the website.
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

JeffreyHowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 1:27pm
I absolutely agree: they need to get their judges on the same rubric page in terms of format nits. 

Format is not formal logic--there's often more than one acceptable way to do things. Which you select is part of the rhetorical structure of the script. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>