NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dirty Secret About Challenge 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 8:24am
Originally posted by justmel justmel wrote:

Originally posted by sootfoot5 sootfoot5 wrote:

...some people didn't even write for challenge one!  Perhaps they forgot it was that weekend, maybe some important life event came up -- heck, maybe they saw the prompt and thought, "I'm not writing historical fiction! No way!"   

This was me last year, but it wasn't for lack of trying.  I drew Hist fic in Ch1 and Spy in Ch 2 (shoutout to Group 6).  In Ch1, I was paralyzed with anxiety (omgomgomg how can I do histfic in 48 hours this is impossible), but I managed to force out three pages before I bailed on the story a few hours before the deadline ("I HATE THIS, HALF OF IT IS FACTUALLY INACCURATE, IT HAS NO PLOT, AND THE DEADLINE IS 4 ½ HOURS OFF— I’M BOWING OUT, ADMITTING DEFEAT, BUH BYE").  In Ch2, I was less than a full page into it when I gave up ("THIS IS STUPID, ALL DIALOGUE, AND DUE IN TWO HOURS.  STOP FOOLING YOURSELF"). Anyone who winds up not submitting, for whatever reason, has my sympathy.  It happens.

I have not submitted once - SPY!  But, also, I was in the middle of a trip, my excuse.  I hate SPY.

Sponsored Links

SnasonJoe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnasonJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 8:34am
No. To be clear he's saying that IF PEOPLE IN YOUR GROUP DROP OUT then it gives you a better chance of scoring.

Ex: 30 writers in a group. The 15 who didn't get scores decide not to write. That leaves only 15 in the group. The math means you're guaranteed at least 1 pt. If 20 drop out that guarantees a low score of 5. Etc.
jargyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jargyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 8:48am
 All true, but the remaining challengers will be fierce. As it should be..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.” Al E
Tam H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tam H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 9:02am
As a newbie, I'm glad I read this post!

Also, as a newbie, I'm glad I read your round one!
Thanks for the inspo!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic