NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Curse of the Doing Well In Challenge One

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 11:50am
Originally posted by ash101_49 ash101_49 wrote:

Well, in Round 1, I couldn't think of anything at all until Sunday, finished writing too close to deadline to edit as much as I'd like or get feedback, and ended up with a story I thought was cute enough to get me some points... Hopefully enough that I could pull through with a better second round story. I got 15 points.

This time, the idea came immediately. I had everything written on Saturday, and I loved it. Sunday was left to edit and get a lot of feedback, which was mostly positive (and the negative was taken into account and corrected). I ended up turning in the story that is, in my opinion, the best story I've ever written for this competition. I love it and am so proud of it... But, not including this one, every story I've done for NYCmid that I really, truly loved has gotten exactly 0 points.

So... Maybe it's better that you don't feel strongly about it?! Ermm

A lot of people say that, but it’s not always true. I’ve written lots of stories I’ve liked in the two years I’ve done this competition. The two stories that I loved the most each got 15 points. So sometimes the judges are on the same page with you. It also depends a bit on luck - getting a genre you can pull off and a good match with the judges. Good luck!
Screenplay R1 Autocorrect
Flash Fiction R1 The Grim Truth
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic