NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Curse of the Doing Well In Challenge One

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lookit There Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

Originally posted by uglypantsuit uglypantsuit wrote:

... I'm a solid 15/14-er in Round 1-2, and it was a harsh reminder for me that I can't get 'cocky' and pull something together.

I feel this so hard. I usually range 13-15 in C1/C2. A couple years ago I pulled off the coveted double 15s. (I was insufferable for days.)

Last year for C1 I scored a 7 and was absolutely shattered. Like, Princess Buttercup "I will never love again" kind of devastation. And then I felt like a douche canoe as people around me gave me the stink eye, mentioning they would have been really happy with any points at all. I still ended up pointing enough to move on to C3. (Which made me feel even douche-ier.)

Thing is, we all set our own standards. 

Honestly, I am worried that my C2 submission is a big fat flop. Well written? Sure. I know I have technical skills. But I have no confidence in the storytelling this round. It doesn't have the emotional depth or visceral engagement that is my usual voice. Honestly, I'm worried this might be the first time in my NYCm career that I do not move on to the semis (regardless of hitting a 14 in C1.)

Cry

Excuse me while I spiral over here.... More. Wine. (or less...)

I feel very attacked by these 100% accurate posts. Wink
My C1 score was 8. Perfectly presentable, and *maybe* a strong score in C2 will let me advance, but I've never had a single-digit score before (besides zero!) and can't shake the feeling of failure. And it's not! It's directly in the center! But I had a pout a little anyway. "Where's my double-digit score?!"

Edited by Lookit There - 31 Aug 2020 at 11:04pm
vanwijk88 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanwijk88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 1:27am
I've entered FF once before (3 years ago) and got a 3/7 in ch1/ch2 and obviously didn't move on.

When I got 3 points in Ch1 this year, I was a bit disappointed since I really feel like I've improved my writing over the last three years. Now, since my chances on moving on are slim anyway, I'm hoping to beat 7 in ch2 to at least have a total score better than my first attempt. 

Edited by vanwijk88 - 01 Sep 2020 at 1:27am
FFC 2020 R2: 250 Beats per Minute (Thriller)

"I intend to live forever or die trying."
coryphantha View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coryphantha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 3:37am
Challenge 1 was my very first time getting on the board at all (8 points). However, as soon as I got my genre assignment for Challenge 2 (romance), I knew I was doomed.
Side Note: I should really work on my romance skills since I keep getting that genre.

Out of curiosity, is there a minimum total score that typically means you move on? (i.e. if you got a 13 in round 1 and a 4 in round 2 for a total of 17 points, would you make it to the next round?)

Edited by coryphantha - 01 Sep 2020 at 11:13am
ZoeLou View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZoeLou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 3:56am
Originally posted by coryphantha coryphantha wrote:

Challenge 1 was my very first time getting on the board at all (8 points). However, as soon as I got my genre assignment for Challenge 2 (romance), I knew I was doomed.
Side Note: I should really work on my romance skills since I keep getting that genre.

Out of curiosity, is there a minimum total score that typically means you move on? (i.e. if you got a 13 in round 1 and a 4 in round 2 for a total of 17 points, would you make it to the next round?)

As far as I know, there doesn't seem to be a set score since it's entirely dependent on who is in your group, and how well they score in comparison to you (top 5 scores in each group move on).

If you're interested, this (amazing!) thread breaks down the range of scores in 2018 and the minimum score needed to move on in each group: https://forums.nycmidnight.com/all-the-scores_topic19475.html
FFC C1: Whispers

FFC C2: Salt
coryphantha View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote coryphantha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 4:06am
Whoa! That spreadsheet is very detailed an definitely gives me an idea of what you mean about it depending on who's in your group. Thanks!
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 4:17am
Last year somebody got through with 12 and others didn't with 22. There's a huge amount of luck involved. 
LaurenL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurenL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 4:45am
The summary of 2018 scores was fascinating. I was drawn to the number of people who had placed first in both rounds. Incredible when you consider it's all anonymous.

I considered writing something 'safe' to try and build on my 12 point 4th place. But what-the-hell. Safe is not my style.. In the end I decided just to try and be true to my writing and produce something I was happy with. I'm just glad I didn't get the group with the prompt 'fanny pack' - that means something quite different over here. 

Girl plays fast and loose with genre, location and convention.... LOL

@theinquisitor..... where in Scotland are you? Glasgow lass here. 

theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 5:50am
@LaurenL Dunfermline now, but I've had stints in Aberdeen, Glasgow and Berwick-upon-Tweed.
poplock10 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote poplock10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 6:09am
That's so awful to do well in the first challenge.  What pressure!  Poor dears.
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 7:45am
Originally posted by poplock10 poplock10 wrote:

That's so awful to do well in the first challenge.  What pressure!  Poor dears.

Stahhhp... It's possible to do that and have gotten a zero in the previous year...I did. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic