NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Curse of the Doing Well In Challenge One

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 9:45pm
I got 15 points for the first time ever. It blew my mind! I typically get 4-12 points. I've NEVER taken the lead like that. I'm glad I got 15 points, because I might get zero points for the current story, which was supposed to be a mystery but wasn't very mysterious. I'm convinced I'll be disqualified for genre issues. But it's all good. We all do the best we can at any given time! 
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

I got 15 points for the first time ever. It blew my mind! I typically get 4-12 points. I've NEVER taken the lead like that. I'm glad I got 15 points, because I might get zero points for the current story, which was supposed to be a mystery but wasn't very mysterious. I'm convinced I'll be disqualified for genre issues. But it's all good. We all do the best we can at any given time! 

Same, including the genre. I am really wondering if I'll be DQed as well. I just couldn't come up with a typical mystery after so many hours of trying. And the only crime is littering,
nikolaki View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nikolaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 10:01pm
That’s why you gotta go for the long con and score a zero on your first prompt like most of us - totally planned, of course. :) 
FF2020 CH1: The Necromancer's Gift (Fant)
FF2020 CH2: The Bridal Party (A/A)

Will return all reads!
ash101_49 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ash101_49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by BarbaraFL BarbaraFL wrote:

Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

Same, including the genre. I am really wondering if I'll be DQed as well. I just couldn't come up with a typical mystery after so many hours of trying. And the only crime is littering,

In the first round, I got suspense. I just wasn't liking it. So I went my own way. I wrote a straight up comedy with just enough suspense to maybe not get DQ'd, but I assumed I'd take a hit for it at the very least. Everyone in the forum said, "Really funny... But, yeah, definitely not a suspense." Then, I came in 1st, and my judges' comments were like, "Great job making such a funny story still feel that suspenseful." (Where they saw that, I don't know. Though one did say, "It was so funny, but it should have had more suspense," so at least one of them caught on but didn't care.) So, my points are 1.) you never know what the judges will think qualifies as the genre, I guess; and 2.) from the way I kept emphasizing it in my comment, I guess I really wanted you all to know that my story was funny. 
Lord Xoon View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Xoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 10:14pm
Yeah, I'm not going to complain. Due to circumstances largely outside of my control, I didn't have time to put much into this round. It's nice to have a little cushion from the first round. I'll need every point of it, and it still may not be enough.
Lord Xoon View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Xoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 10:17pm
I didn't get DQed for a romance where the two people didn't get together, and I just scored a 15 for a romantic comedy where there was little evidence the characters even liked each other.

All that's to say, I think they're pretty liberal on the genre DQs.

jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Lord Xoon Lord Xoon wrote:

Yeah, I'm not going to complain. Due to circumstances largely outside of my control, I didn't have time to put much into this round. It's nice to have a little cushion from the first round. I'll need every point of it, and it still may not be enough.

Yeah, I'm hoping 12 points is a halfway decent cushion because while the prompts and process weren't nearly as miserable as challenge 1, I'm a lot less satisfied with the end result on challenge 2.
FFC 2020 Ch 1 Gr 21: Cellared
Ch2 Gr 21: The Spy Who Came in For The Cake
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 10:48pm
To Barbara: HA HA! Littering!! Clap Thanks for sharing! Now I don't feel so alone!! Hopefully the judges will love our non-mysterious mysteries!! 

To Nikolaki: You're like an evil genius! I love your strategy!! 

To Ash: You've given me hope, and your story does sound funny!! YAY! 
Lex Pearson View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lex Pearson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by BlackGate BlackGate wrote:

Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

Honestly, I am worried that my C2 submission is a big fat flop. Well written? Sure. I know I have technical skills. But I have no confidence in the storytelling this round. It doesn't have the emotional depth or visceral engagement that is my usual voice. Honestly, I'm worried this might be the first time in my NYCm career that I do not move on to the semis (regardless of hitting a 14 in C1.)

Cry

Excuse me while I spiral over here.... More. Wine. (or less...)

I didn't post my R1 because of exactly this, no feeling of either emotional depth or visceral engagement, then I got 14 points. I was very surprised. Even if you don't connect with your story, you can be surprised at how far technical skills and experience can pull something through, especially in these first couple of rounds.

That's exactly what happened to me last year. I wrote something even more last minute than usual, didn't have time to edit AT ALL, literally sent it in as is. I HATED IT. Didn't post in the forums because I was like, this is the worst thing I've ever done in my entire life, why did I think I could write etc etc. I ended up getting (my first ever) 15 points Confused When I had the courage to come back to it, I realized that it actually was one of the best things I'd written for this competition. 

Point is, you never know with NYC Midnight XDDD
Lex Pearson View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lex Pearson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 10:55pm
Also re genres: I've gotten action/adventure twice, and NEITHER time actually wrote action/adventure (more drama/suspense) and scored medium to well both times. As long as you've got something that they can latch on to, as tenuous as it might be, you're still in the running. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic