NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Curse of the Doing Well In Challenge One

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deedodd81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Curse of the Doing Well In Challenge One
    Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 4:28pm
I'm now firmly in the camp of not reading my challenge one results until challenge two is done.

I choked so hard.
MFC 2019 C2:Clear Broth, Clear Mind
FFC 2020 C1:The Grey Sea
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by deedodd81 deedodd81 wrote:

I'm now firmly in the camp of not reading my challenge one results until challenge two is done.

I choked so hard.

I RELATE TO THIS SO MUCH. SO MUCH. SO MUCH.

I would not be surprised if it worked out this way for me:
Challenge 1: 15 pts
Challenge 2: 0 pts
EMG View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by BarbaraFL BarbaraFL wrote:

I choked so hard.

Guys!  I WISH I had this problem!!
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by EMG EMG wrote:

Guys!  I WISH I had this problem!!

That's the thing, it can go either way. Last year I had zero points in Challenge 1, and was happy to get the 7 pts in Challenge 2. Didn't advance, but after the zero I loved the seven.
cheddarbaked View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheddarbaked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by BarbaraFL BarbaraFL wrote:

I choked so hard.

I am dreading the same. I felt reasonably confident about my Challenge 1 entry. I didn't necessarily expect it to get 15 points, but I liked it and was proud of it. Not so with my Challenge 2 story. It's my own fault--I had a busy weekend, but I should have tried to set aside at least an hour or two to write earlier in the weekend instead of leaving it all until the last minute.

Ah well. I guess all we can do is cross our fingers and hope the judges like our work better than we do!
FFC 2020 CH1 G65: Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?
ash101_49 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ash101_49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 5:28pm
Well, in Round 1, I couldn't think of anything at all until Sunday, finished writing too close to deadline to edit as much as I'd like or get feedback, and ended up with a story I thought was cute enough to get me some points... Hopefully enough that I could pull through with a better second round story. I got 15 points.

This time, the idea came immediately. I had everything written on Saturday, and I loved it. Sunday was left to edit and get a lot of feedback, which was mostly positive (and the negative was taken into account and corrected). I ended up turning in the story that is, in my opinion, the best story I've ever written for this competition. I love it and am so proud of it... But, not including this one, every story I've done for NYCmid that I really, truly loved has gotten exactly 0 points.

So... Maybe it's better that you don't feel strongly about it?! Ermm
uglypantsuit View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglypantsuit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 7:35pm
I received my worst-ever FFC score in round 1 of this competition. 

It was still a pretty good score, and I'm trying to be mindful that most people would be happy to receive it. But I'm a solid 15/14-er in Round 1-2, and it was a harsh reminder for me that I can't get 'cocky' and pull something together. I need to still work hard and use the prompts and genre properly - which I did NOT do in Round 1 and was penalised for it. 

It also made this round MUCH MORE STRESSFUL than it's ever been (this is my fourth year), and I am far, far more anxious than I have been in the past. I came up with an idea I like, that fits the prompts well, so hopefully I score highly enough to get through. 

I've never had much luck with beta readers when I tried to use them in the past (for a number of reasons, most of them my fault), so I just go it alone and have no idea how good it is until the day I get a score. 
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by uglypantsuit uglypantsuit wrote:

... I'm a solid 15/14-er in Round 1-2, and it was a harsh reminder for me that I can't get 'cocky' and pull something together.

I feel this so hard. I usually range 13-15 in C1/C2. A couple years ago I pulled off the coveted double 15s. (I was insufferable for days.)

Last year for C1 I scored a 7 and was absolutely shattered. Like, Princess Buttercup "I will never love again" kind of devastation. And then I felt like a douche canoe as people around me gave me the stink eye, mentioning they would have been really happy with any points at all. I still ended up pointing enough to move on to C3. (Which made me feel even douche-ier.)

Thing is, we all set our own standards. 

Honestly, I am worried that my C2 submission is a big fat flop. Well written? Sure. I know I have technical skills. But I have no confidence in the storytelling this round. It doesn't have the emotional depth or visceral engagement that is my usual voice. Honestly, I'm worried this might be the first time in my NYCm career that I do not move on to the semis (regardless of hitting a 14 in C1.)

Cry

Excuse me while I spiral over here.... More. Wine. (or less...)

Edited by nod1v1ng - 31 Aug 2020 at 7:51pm
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 8:09pm
This is my third year in FFC. In 2018 I scored 12/15 and HM'ed out in Challenge #3. Last year I scored 8/3 and obviously missed the next round. 6 points in Challenge #1 this year, and I threw EVERYTHING I HAVE into this second story, knowing I need to hit that 15 again to have a great shot at moving on. 

I got spoiled that first year, and I've been reaching for those high scores ever since. It's been a reminder that writing a good story isn't enough. There is SO MUCH TALENT in this competition, and luck - or unluck - of the draw determines who we're up against in the opening heats. It's probably a given that there will be 10-15 "good" stories in every batch. You gotta dial it up to 11, and STAND OUT. I needed this kick in the butt, and I hope I delivered in this second challenge. 

Edited by chrissie0707 - 31 Aug 2020 at 8:10pm
FFC #1: Beneath the Surface 6pts
FFC #2: Protocol Twenty-Seven
BlackGate View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BlackGate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

Honestly, I am worried that my C2 submission is a big fat flop. Well written? Sure. I know I have technical skills. But I have no confidence in the storytelling this round. It doesn't have the emotional depth or visceral engagement that is my usual voice. Honestly, I'm worried this might be the first time in my NYCm career that I do not move on to the semis (regardless of hitting a 14 in C1.)

Cry

Excuse me while I spiral over here.... More. Wine. (or less...)

I didn't post my R1 because of exactly this, no feeling of either emotional depth or visceral engagement, then I got 14 points. I was very surprised. Even if you don't connect with your story, you can be surprised at how far technical skills and experience can pull something through, especially in these first couple of rounds.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic