NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The biggest idiot on this green earth.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 8:59am
Originally posted by RiBoMex RiBoMex wrote:

Ask them and explain the situation. The same thing happened to me last year. I sent a message on the forum and an email explaining the situation. The organisers were kind enough to let me send the script by email; it was read and accepted (actually made it to the following round).

So go for it!

Good advice, particularly given the different time zones in the competition. Send an email. What have you got to lose?
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 9:36am
Thanks everyone! We'll see if I get DQ'ed. Sure hope not, but I take full responsibility if I do. It was late when I looked at the prompts and I didn't even think to check if a Crossing Guard was something different. It's not the first time I've made a stupid mistake like that...

@Aeleahy, did you end up emailing NYCM about the timezone mess up? Like @Nimhathuna said... what do you have to lose sending them an email?

Cheers,

-Max
Aeleahy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aeleahy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 4:49pm
I didn't! I wish I had logged back into this forum to check on everyone's responses but I felt too stupid to even do that. Took me 'til the next challenge which I will definitely NOT be late for. 

Hope your crossing guard mishap was accepted!  
jilly-bean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jilly-bean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 5:59pm
I think I officially win the biggest idiot of the challenge contest.  I got everything opened ready to upload ahead of time [granted I did wait until 11:45], but my story saved to Microsoft Onedrive which I am wholly unfamiliar with.  I couldn't find it anywhere.Dead  [Yes, as it turns out there is a button that says 'on my Mac' but that is not in anyway clear as bypassing Onedrive].  So, 12:30 and I still couldn't figure it out.  I thought about explaining, but... I just felt dumb. I should have started saving early.  I should woken up a friend who could have helped.   Oh well.  I think I am still eligible for Challenge 2 and, now that I understand what Beta readers are, I will at least be able to give feedback and get feedback.

Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 9:16pm
I always make a an early, three or four hours early, save to NYCM even if no where near ready just in case of web site issues or whatever.
Popsicle Crows View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by jilly-bean jilly-bean wrote:

I think I officially win the biggest idiot of the challenge contest.  I got everything opened ready to upload ahead of time [granted I did wait until 11:45], but my story saved to Microsoft Onedrive which I am wholly unfamiliar with.  I couldn't find it anywhere.Dead  [Yes, as it turns out there is a button that says 'on my Mac' but that is not in anyway clear as bypassing Onedrive].  So, 12:30 and I still couldn't figure it out.  I thought about explaining, but... I just felt dumb. I should have started saving early.  I should woken up a friend who could have helped.   Oh well.  I think I am still eligible for Challenge 2 and, now that I understand what Beta readers are, I will at least be able to give feedback and get feedback.

Maybe we should add a 'Biggest idiot" competition? LOL
My first contest had a bit of a similar snafu. I never thought to check to see if 'covert to PDF' worked when I got Final Draft so I had a mild heart attack when it didn't work a few hours from the deadline.
Then had to take FD script and convert it to doc etc etc. The formatting got toasted in all the back and forth and the final  - submitted - version looked mighty weird, lol.

In the end, someone figured out that it was because I used punctuation in the title but NOO, that would be too easy. Turns out that I needed Windows 10 and my duct-taped stone tablet of a computer has Windows 7. Can't afford a new computer yet so I have an already-paid-for Final Draft that won't convert to PDF until I get a new computer. Sigh.

My village still has the idiot and I'm still smiling. Embarrassed

Who's next?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12