NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Teenage participants

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malkaberndt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Teenage participants
    Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 11:35am
Does anybody have a sene of how many/what percentage of participants in the Short Story contest are teenagers? My 15 year old daughter entered and I’m curious as to the demographics of entrants. 
Dark&StormyNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark&StormyNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 12:55pm
No but I’d be curious to know that too.  Locations but not age are listed for the entrants.

How did she do?  Highly recommend the flash fiction as well for her, guaranteed to write two in that contest.
LadyArkham View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyArkham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 12:57pm
Ooh, I'm interested too. I would have so eagerly jumped on this when I was fifteen... and been so, so terrible. My first flash competition (not here) was when I was 22 and I submitted my first, unedited and un-beta'd draft six days before the submission deadline. Twelve years later, I've learned a ton that I wouldn't know without having tried those competitions. I hope your daughter has a lot of fun with it and learns a lot!
malkaberndt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote malkaberndt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 2:42pm
She placed 5th in her group and is continuing on to the next round!  I am beyond proud!  I always thought she was a good writer, but being her mom, it’s hard to be objective.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malkaberndt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 2:52pm
Tried replying to that specific person but it went to the general queue. 

Edited by malkaberndt - 08 Apr 2021 at 2:53pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malkaberndt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 2:57pm
She placed 5th in her group and is continuing on to the next round!  I am beyond proud!  I always thought she was a good writer, but being her mom, it’s hard to be objective
pondsandfrogs View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pondsandfrogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by malkaberndt malkaberndt wrote:

I suggest you use the "quote" feature on the toolbar so that it's clear who in particular you're responding to.

But congrats to your daughter! Getting top-5 and advancing is an awesome achievement, you should be a proud mom :)

And she probably beat out a lot of folks older than her, I'd imagine. 

I think she could have fun on these forums, so with mom's permission (yours), I feel it'd be educational for her to participate here, read other stories, post hers, and get feedback from fellow forum readers. But nonetheless, seems like she already has a pretty solid grasp of writing Smile

-EJ
Y'all are so talented!
Screenwriting 2021 R2 (Thriller)
Screenwriting 2021 R1 (Action/Adv.)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malkaberndt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by pondsandfrogs pondsandfrogs wrote:

I suggest you use the "quote" feature on the toolbar so that it's clear who in particular you're responding to.

But congrats to your daughter! Getting top-5 and advancing is an awesome achievement, you should be a proud mom :)

And she probably beat out a lot of folks older than her, I'd imagine. 

I think she could have fun on these forums, so with mom's permission (yours), I feel it'd be educational for her to participate here, read other stories, post hers, and get feedback from fellow forum readers. But nonetheless, seems like she already has a pretty solid grasp of writing Smile

-EJ

Thanks for the info/suggestions!
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 7:58pm

She placed 5th in her group and is continuing on to the next round!  I am beyond proud!  I always thought she was a good writer, but being her mom, it’s hard to be objective

That's amazing! Give her a high five from me!

So the thing is - writing is a skill, not a talent. I've only been writing for about 5 years, and looking back I can say with confidence that I have come a long way in that time. I've learned a whole lot and I know the things I craft now are far better than in the early days. It makes me wonder where I'd be today if I had started writing when I was your daughter's age.

I hope she sticks with it. I hope she loves it. I hope her success lights a fire in her to keep striving to be better and better. By the time she's my age, she'll be a juggernaut of fiction! 
Draiglas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Draiglas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 8:12pm
That's pretty cool that she's doing so well.

Not sure of demographics but I get the sense forum posters, at least, are more towards older than younger. I might be wrong but I have gotten the sense I'm in the younger demographic here and I ... am not that young (younger than 30 but well out of my teens). So that makes it extra cool that your daughter is smashing it :)

Edited by Draiglas - 08 Apr 2021 at 8:15pm
Short Story R2 - Atychiphobia

Short Story R3 (not on forum but can PM if you're really keen) - R. v R
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic