NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Surprises of the Evening

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J_Fox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Willie Willie wrote:

Well, to add to this post - I felt that the following 5 could have easily won their heat:

Dead Beat

Princess Maggie

Fahrenheit 5'11"

Night Music

Operation Lollipop

Thanks, Willie! Your free iPod will be in the mail as soon you complete the other 19 E-Z Offers required.

Fox
18SSC Ch3: Eat No Evil, Hear No Evil
18SSC Finals: Heads You Lose
~~~
ABEAR111 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABEAR111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Willie Willie wrote:

I'm interested in other opinions on scripts that maybe should have or could have moved on... "Surprises of the Evening" took a strange turn toward small appendages.

Bill

This topic has become a bit too controversial, even for me.  Everyone has their own opinion, most of whom are not going to voice them here because to do so is pretty much telling the people who actually did win the category that they did not deserve to and other people in that category that they just weren't good enough.  Opinions are like those appendages you referred to, everbody's got one or more but it's not always cool to go around showing them.
Did I say that right, Bartender?
Hairy Lime View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairy Lime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by ABEAR111 ABEAR111 wrote:

Originally posted by Hairy Lime Hairy Lime wrote:

Gotta say, Hairy you're not one of my favorite people on here but I'm blown away that your script did not advance

This is a truly bizarre statement. Why on earth would you feel the need to preface this with "you're not one of my favorite people on here"? What did I ever do to you, Bear?

Hairy, I'm really touched that being one of my favorites means so much to you, perhaps we could do lunch.  In the meantime, please know that I  meant this as no insult.  I feel as though I have "clicked" with a few people on this site and these I would move into my "favorites" category (which means absolutely nothing to anyone but myself), certainly you will agree that you and I have not "clicked".  My "truly bizarre statement" was meant to convey that you and I have not "clicked"  and thus my opinion that your script should have advanced was based PURELY on the quality I obviously feel your script possessed.  (Rustom, whose script I also commented on, is one of my favorites.  See how that works?)

If you do feel as though you should be one of my favorites, then I suppose it would be insulting for me to say that you are not and I certainly appologize for that (though somehow I feel that this is not the case.)  Regardless, please forgive my statement, you are a truly talented writer with strong opinions, all of which I do not always agree with - but hey this ain't Iran - and I wish you the best.  (Oh, hell, my appologies to any Iranians out there, this is not meant to insult you, only to state the current policies of the sitting regime).

Man, let's see, so far I've offended Mormons, Hairy, the Iranian government, and that guy who cursed at me because I chastised him for encouraging the theft of software when it wasn't him but some other guy.  To recap, again I am sorry to everyone except for the Iranian government. 

Oh, yeah, and Rustom, the fact that you are "one of my favorites on this site" had nothing to do with my proclaimation that your script should have advanced, so please do not get offended by my having qualified you as such.

If I left anyone else out, my appoligies as well.

We didn't connect?! What do you call our half drunk early morning daliances behind the dumpster? Did I mean nothing to you? Am I just a piece of meat for you to toy with and consume like so much old trash? And here I thought we really had something.

Edited by Hairy Lime - 15 Sep 2006 at 6:38pm
Heat 12 Romantic Comedy/Jury Duty - PLUSH
Chris Messineo View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Messineo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 7:32pm

Did I say that right, Bartender?

You made me proud.

Chris
Rusty View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2006 at 3:04am

Post announcement bitchiness does not go well with forum etiquette guys. We need to really start slinging some good ole' mother earth premium grade manure at each other.

On a different note, I felt that a majority of scripts that won had a common element to them and that is actual production.

Most of them can be made easily and in a nominal budget and NYC midnight being a film making competition as well I think the judges have been looking at that factor real close too.

I think any of those shorts would be a good calling card for a fledgling director or film-maker.

Even the sci-fi ones can be done with affordable cgi and animation. Anyway, that is what i feel the others had the edge with.

What say you guys?

Oh! and Charlie a.k.a. Abear1111 I never knew that I was your favorite? Now I feel guilty for not living up to your expectations and not making past round one.

I felt that the judges realised I was laying down the comedy a bit too thick and the divorce was not as clear.
Hairy Lime View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairy Lime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2006 at 3:15am
Originally posted by Rusty Rusty wrote:

On a different note, I felt that a majority of scripts that won had a common element to them and that is actual production.

Interesting theory, but I don't think that's true. Last year's winner's first round script this year has a cast of hundreds and about 20 locations as well as a tractor trailer rolling over on the interstate and various other high cost/difficult scenarios to execute.

My 1st round short from last year that sent me to the finals was set in Cuba with a bullfighting scene and a fair amoung of CGI required for the climax.

Heat 12 Romantic Comedy/Jury Duty - PLUSH
wenonah View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wenonah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2006 at 3:27am
you could have made mine on a budget of krispy kremes Unhappy
ABEAR111 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABEAR111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2006 at 5:13am
Originally posted by wenonah wenonah wrote:

you could have made mine on a budget of krispy kremes Unhappy

LOL.  I knew you weren't going to give up on us, Wenonah.
J_Fox View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J_Fox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2006 at 5:15am
Mine would've required no FX at all. Assuming you found an actual window that was a door to the fairy world. Surely there's one of those somewhere in NYC.

Edited by J_Fox - 16 Sep 2006 at 2:28pm
18SSC Ch3: Eat No Evil, Hear No Evil
18SSC Finals: Heads You Lose
~~~
ABEAR111 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABEAR111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2006 at 5:16am
 [/QUOTE]

We didn't connect?! What do you call our half drunk early morning daliances behind the dumpster? Did I mean nothing to you? Am I just a piece of meat for you to toy with and consume like so much old trash? And here I thought we really had something.
    [/QUOTE]

When one person (me) was completely passed out drunk and the other (you)was completely sober, that does not make us both "half drunk".

Edited by ABEAR111 - 16 Sep 2006 at 5:17am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic