NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Surprises of the Evening

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2184pro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surprises of the Evening
    Posted: 12 Sep 2006 at 7:42pm
Three things happened to me at Midnight:

1. My computer crashed and I had to reboot just after the announcement.

2. My daughter woke up, vomiting.

3. I didn't advance.

Only one wasn't a surprise for me.

Congrats to all.

That's a wrap. Good night, everybody.

Check out my other videos. http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=2184pro
Willie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2006 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by 2184pro 2184pro wrote:

3. I didn't advance.

Congrats to all.

Hopefully your daughter was just nervous awaiting the results with the rest of us.
huxcanux View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huxcanux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2006 at 8:00pm
I'm sorry to hear that some of the surprises were nastier than others. Me, I only felt like puking after seeing that I didn't even make the top 5, but I'll just have to hope for better luck next year!

Originally posted by Willie Willie wrote:

Originally posted by 2184pro 2184pro wrote:

3. I didn't advance.

Congrats to all.

Hopefully your daughter was just nervous awaiting the results with the rest of us.
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 1:56am
I think the other script I was writing that week would have made the top five...but it wasn't suspense. It was better suited to scifi. So no surprises here, the one I turned in was my own second choice, haha
trike View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 3:47am
You're all winners in my book. Clap

Okay, now that the "up with people" thing is dispensed with, let's talk turkey. Wink Of the known scripts that placed, do you agree with the results?

In my heat (10 - Sci-fi/video games), I expected the 3rd runner-up ("Deja Vous All Over Again") to win.  I liked the purity of his story.  Re-reading mine, I see where I can make some improvements, but for a speed-writing example, I'm pretty happy with it.

I really like the winning script in heat 10 ("Bloodline") and I expected him to place, but I was surprised he won.  The only reason for that is because the story isn't strictly about video games, which I thought might ding his chances a bit.  Just goes to show that a solid screenplay trumps slavish attention to the assignment -- good lesson to keep in mind for next year.

It looks like the other two scripts in our heat weren't posted, so I can't comment on them.

I was surprised that "Fahrenheit 5'11"" didn't win in heat 5, as I think it was one of the best screenplays I read.

On the other hand, I am completely unsurprised that heat 1 had co-winners with "Belief in Cod" and "Feedback."  Those were both good stories with almost exactly the same take the suibject.  Punny title, comedy-horror style, wacky dialect, same reveal at the end.  I sure would've had a hard time choosing between the two.
Doug
--
Let me have it! (Script reviews, that is.)
Game On -- Heat 10
iwriteplays View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iwriteplays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 7:49am
Originally posted by trike trike wrote:

I was surprised that "Fahrenheit 5'11"" didn't win in heat 5, as I think it was one of the best screenplays I read.

Wow, thanks for being such a fan of my script! It's nice to know that someone enjoyed it :)

Maybe the judges knew that I had a wedding to attend on the 23rd, and decided to spare me the juggling act of trying to write a script AND travel to Wisconsin all in one day. That must be it. Wink
Final round: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/261768/deadletteroffice.pdf
Hairy Lime View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairy Lime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 7:51am
Originally posted by trike trike wrote:

Okay, now that the "up with people" thing is dispensed with, let's talk turkey. Wink Of the known scripts that placed, do you agree with the results?
I think there were some egregious mistakes on the part of the judges. But that's all I'll say.
Heat 12 Romantic Comedy/Jury Duty - PLUSH
Chris Messineo View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Messineo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 8:20am
Originally posted by Hairy Lime Hairy Lime wrote:

I think there were some egregious mistakes on the part of the judges. But that's all I'll say.
The judges are just picking the scripts they llike the best (which is what they are supposed to do).

It's not a science.  After all, judging art is entirely subjective.

Chris

Edited by Chris Messineo - 13 Sep 2006 at 8:20am
Hairy Lime View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairy Lime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 8:32am
That's why I said "egregious", Chris.

There were some choices that went far beyond personal preference and ventured into the realm of incompetence.

Everyone knows Rembrandt is a better painter than Thomas Kinkaide even if Kinkaide's paintings are popular these days (god knows why).
Heat 12 Romantic Comedy/Jury Duty - PLUSH
Chris Messineo View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Messineo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Hairy Lime Hairy Lime wrote:

That's why I said "egregious", Chris.

There were some choices that went far beyond personal preference and ventured into the realm of incompetence.

Everyone knows Rembrandt is a better painter than Thomas Kinkaide even if Kinkaide's paintings are popular these days (god knows why).

Interesting points.  There was a similar discussion in these forums last year after the online film contest.  It actually got quite heated.

I think the problem with your argument is this "everyone knows Rembrandy is better than Kinkaide".  I'm not saying I disagree, but there are simply no rules about stuff like that.  If I ask the guy I work with which movie is better "Citizen Kane" or "Old School" he will pick "Old School" in a second.  Is he wrong.  I think so, but that doesn't make me right.

I agree there were some odd choices in the finals.  I actually scored every film in the contest (for fun).  For the most part I agreed with the judges, yet there were some choices and omissions that I thought were odd.  However, that's what happens when people try to grade art.

Chris

Edited by Chris Messineo - 13 Sep 2006 at 9:39am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>