NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Submitting NYCm stories to other contests/pubs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mister_Write Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Submitting NYCm stories to other contests/pubs
    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 7:41pm

Hey NYCm friends!

Just hoping to benefit from the experience of all you lovely writers out there.

Does anyone know if there’s a waiting period on submitting NYCm stories to other contest/publications? I want to submit some things, but I don’t want to ruin my eligibility with NYCm.

I was thinking of submitting my R2 250 microfic story to a contest that’s coming up in a week (so after judging, but before the contest is over). And I want to submit my R1 short story to a publication with a submission period that closes before judging occurs.

Do we need to wait till the contest is over and/or judging for a particular story has occurred? Or can we just send them to other things as soon as we can stand looking at them again?

Thanks in advance! 

nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 7:58pm

I'm not sure there is an official ruling on this. Personally, I usually wait until the judging for a round is done. If on the offside chance one of the judges is a reader at a publication, I'd hate to blow the anonymity. 

I just submitted my R2 250 piece. I've been chomping on the bit to do so! 

Edited by nod1v1ng - 21 Feb 2021 at 8:02pm
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 8:00pm
I've never waited to send it ;) Pretty sure I submitted my R2 story within minutes of the NYCM deadline closing haha. Very few mags respond or publish before the judging is up anyhow. 

I say go for it!

ETA: given that the rules don't claim any right to exclusivity or specifically rule against simultaneous submissions, I think it's kosher without mucking up your NYCM chances. I would hold onto a final round story just in case, but ultimately your content is yours to submit and (after you get the final confirmation email) publicly share as you see fit

Edited by taaaylor - 21 Feb 2021 at 8:16pm
Mister_Write View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mister_Write Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 8:42pm
Thank you both! That's really helpful :D.

I think this publication would take ages to get back to me, so it shouldn't ruin the anonymity (hopefully). Unless a judge is also an associate editor there, man that would be unfortunate haha. 

Good luck with your submission Nods! I'm sure it'll find a good home.
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 9:22pm
Best of luck with your submission! I hope you get good news soon <3
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Mister_Write Mister_Write wrote:

Good luck with your submission Nods! I'm sure it'll find a good home.

Thanks! I went on a bit of a submission spree tonight, so fingers crossed!
kristina_f View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 11:35pm
I need to start submitting to publications. I just haven't done any research on suitable places. It's not like I expect to rake in fat cash off of short stories, but hell, taking care of a couple days worth of groceries now and then would be alright. 
250:
R2 G7
SSC:
R1 G127 Degenerate Tarot
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 12:03am
Originally posted by kristina_f kristina_f wrote:

I need to start submitting to publications. I just haven't done any research on suitable places. It's not like I expect to rake in fat cash off of short stories, but hell, taking care of a couple days worth of groceries now and then would be alright. 

Many suggest duotrope (and I second that suggestion) but submission grinder is a fantastic place to start when trying to get a feel for what's out there with your word count and genre. I highly recommend starting there as it's free. For comparison, I think duotrope is $5/month :)

Good luck! Submitting is so fun

Edited by taaaylor - 22 Feb 2021 at 12:03am
kristina_f View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 12:27am
Originally posted by taaaylor taaaylor wrote:

Originally posted by kristina_f kristina_f wrote:

Many suggest duotrope (and I second that suggestion) but submission grinder is a fantastic place to start when trying to get a feel for what's out there with your word count and genre. I highly recommend starting there as it's free. For comparison, I think duotrope is $5/month :)

Good luck! Submitting is so fun

Much appreciated. I'll be looking at those this week.
250:
R2 G7
SSC:
R1 G127 Degenerate Tarot
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 9:07am
Originally posted by taaaylor taaaylor wrote:

Submittable also has a search function, but it is cumbersome to use in my opinion. I feel like Duotrope has way better features than Submission Grinder, although some folks don't like spending the money, and it's not worth it if you are only going to submit a couple times a year. But if you find yourself submitting more, it's worth checking out Duotope - you can do a trial month for free.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic