NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stupid mistakes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanalyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stupid mistakes?
    Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 12:11am
I realized at 9:02 that the version I had submitted didn't have the word in it!! Resubmitted in a panic but mehhhhhh. I was feeling so good about it too.

Someone please tell me you also did something like that so I don't feel as dumb. Confused
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 12:17am
I had a 250-word draft I liked and realized...didn't have the word. Oops. The second version might be better, but still, I had totally forgotten.
AutumnBe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AutumnBe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 12:23am
I was disqualified from the second round of MF100 for missing the word, so you're not alone! Just glad you both caught it before the deadline!

As for me, you better believe I checked to make sure my word was included about 800 times per draft. 

😆
250R1 - Last Word
500R3 - Seeding the Clouds
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 12:27am

I excel at these, really hoping I did not do it this time....
Lobster View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 12:30am
I put my word in big coloured letters at the top of the page because I realised I kept forgetting I had to include it. In the end I was down to finding the last ten or so words to cut and I still didn't have anywhere for it to go (and I'd thought it had been an easy word!).
Rachel M View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachel M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 12:30am
I almost eliminated my word on a rewrite, then almost submitted with the wrong character whistling at the end, which doesn't sound that bad but trust me would've been... eek. Stressful!
hanalyst View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanalyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 2:23am
Whoops should clarify: by 9:02 I meant Pacific time, where I am...so two minutes after NYC midnight. :(
M&K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M&K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 3:16am
Last look through I realised I had cut my word in the last great cull to get it down to 250. Managed to add it back in (using a different character) just before submitting. But it was so close! Because you start with the genre, action and word in mind, everything is built around them, so you forget about them and tick them off in your head. The editing is where it gets dangerous! I'll remember that next time for sure.

I hope they accept your last submission!

Does anyone know if you leave out the word or action, do they still give you feedback on your story even if it's disqualified?

Edited by M&K - 17 Oct 2021 at 3:18am
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 3:50am
Originally posted by M&K M&K wrote:

Last look through I realised I had cut my word in the last great cull to get it down to 250. Managed to add it back in (using a different character) just before submitting. But it was so close! Because you start with the genre, action and word in mind, everything is built around them, so you forget about them and tick them off in your head. The editing is where it gets dangerous! I'll remember that next time for sure.

I hope they accept your last submission!

Does anyone know if you leave out the word or action, do they still give you feedback on your story even if it's disqualified?

From what I have seen, yes you still get the feedback, it is at the end of that feedback where you find out you have a DQ.

I really think it is a little bit of a dirty trick giving us a word that must be used, lol.
Lindzombie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Lindzombie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 4:02am
As someone who's been DQ'd, they do still give you feedback, including a heading explaining what you did wrong. It was a bummer, but the feedback I got was still useful! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>