NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

stressfull week!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stressfull week!
    Posted: 24 Jan 2009 at 5:31pm
Ok let me just sum up the stress that this competition has caused me this week:

- 4 nights of merely 4 hours of sleep in a row
- frustration over small typo's
- frustration over having a small lexicon
- hearing that my story just goes "blahblah"
- coming up with 4 different takes on 'Identity theft'
- waking up hung-over this morning after an attempt to have Jack Daniels as a co-author
- deadline stress
- and last but not least: freaking out because my 3 month old laptop decided to crash 2 hours before submission time

I can't believe it's over... I shall miss it!
Now I get to stress about making the finals or not! I am thinking NOT, that will probably save me some stress...
Sponsored Links

whutsgrammar View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whutsgrammar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2009 at 4:18am
I'm sorry your week was so stressful Dutchie. Mine was too actually. I wanted to scream and cry a bit. I procrastinated like crazy. I didn't even really start typing until Thursday night. I tell myself the first part of the week I was brainstorming. Big smile Which is not entirely untrue. I did feel like giving up because I had never written anything like my genre or topic, but in the end I felt encouraged by God and you guys! Just reading that I wasn't alone in my pain made me feel better. I figured my writing isn't perfect. I probably won't do well, but if I can at least finish the assignment then I have succeeded in my own eyes. I am so thankful I didn't give up. I have such a sense of accomplishment and a story I actually like! I didn't think it was possible! I don't really care if I win or not, but I would almost like to win to go to the 2nd round to do it all over again. This has really boosted my confidence and it should boost yours too! You did it, you finished. Congrats to us all!Star
londongirl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote londongirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2009 at 6:06am
I don't know if I want to go through to round 2 - the idea of doing it in 24 hours is daunting (Judges: if you're reading this, I'm kidding - I DO want to go through!). I too had a stressful week (even more so than usual), with various members of my family injuring themselves one way or another - even the cat, who had to go to the vet for emergency surgery on Tuesday. Usually, in a bad week I'd let myself off writing, but having a deadline meant I just got on with it. I need to remind myself of this next time I make an excuse for not finding the time to write.

Edited by londongirl - 25 Jan 2009 at 6:07am
sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2009 at 8:10am
My big thing is that I got done too soon. Well, not done because I kept picking at it (improving it????). I did the same thing with the screenplay competition, and then I couldn't see the flaws in my script. So it has bugged me that I got done so quickly - does it suck or does it not suck, that is the question.

But even if it does, I've had fun writing it, picking at it, (I got up to over 2600 words once and had to pare it back) and blabbing with you folks here on the forum. And isn't that why we're here? To learn from each other and to have fun?
backyard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2009 at 8:51am
   Glad to hear about all the drama, honestly. Especially the many takes on your topic... It's funny to me that I spent most of my time thinking of an actual plot that would be an original take on my topic, but I think I ended up with a story that had its strength in character development and its weakness in plot! That's typical for me. What a fun week. I'm glad I did it.
backyard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2009 at 9:13am
    Likewise. As I procrastinated/brainstormed, my strategy was to give myself credit for any new idea. You know, an hour ago I didn't know that so-and-so was an alcoholic...yesterday I didn't even know that temperature was an important thematic element..that type of thing. I just kept telling myself that things were moving, and tried not to look at blank screens...I'm glad you like your story. I'm not sure I like mine yet. BUT - I finished it. I submitted it.
Dutchie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2009 at 10:50am
Hi guys... well here I am, shook off the stress and back to my happy positive self. Sorry for all the whining the past week, I guess it has been a good outlet for me.
Thanks to everyone for all the friendly words and the good advice! And Congrats for finishing and good luck on making it to round two!

I too don't think it would have been halaf as much fun without this forum!

Karlijn
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic