NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SSC R1.5: Practice + Tournament?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote PumpkinPatch61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SSC R1.5: Practice + Tournament?
    Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 5:45am
Is anyone interested in writing another short screenplay while we wait for Round 1 results next month?
Seeing as we have all invested time and money in this experience why not get more out of it!

I can organize this over e-mail and randomize this years prompts so people get different groups to try. We could lengthen the time to a week so it's more casual and easy to participate. It would be a great way to get more experience in before the next round, and would also help pass the time!

I'm thinking it could start this Friday the 12th at midnight (ET, just like NCYM does), and go until the 19th! (So the 13th-19th would be 7 full days for writing.)

I also whipped up a (completely optional) bracket tournament on Challonge.com for people to enter if they are in the mood to judge some screenplays and compete for "fan favorite".

Maybe I'm going WAY overboard with this idea, but I thought I would throw it out there since I'm itching to write something else! 

Here is a sign-up sheet for the event that also includes the (optional) Tournament sign up. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19-_HgXp_54M_z15N1siEt1vhxu7xwbAT2CSSab6rYgA/edit?usp=sharing
I can keep people updated through e-mail on everything. :)

Thanks for reading and happy writing!

-Ivan 

Edited by PumpkinPatch61 - 09 Aug 2022 at 7:55pm
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 7:28am

This weekend is round 2 of the Flash Fiction contest.
JCotterill View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JCotterill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 1:28pm
@PumpkinPatch61, Ivan, I think this sounds like a splendid idea and a great way to get more practice in! Thank you for setting this up and taking the initiative to organise something like this. You're right - we should make the most of this opportunity!

I for one know I need to work on refining my 5-page script structure... please count me in! Big smile I've signed up via the google doc (please let me know if it hasn't worked - Google Docs and I don't always see eye to eye!)
R2 G10 Dismissal NYC Midnight Stories     
pondsandfrogs View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pondsandfrogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 3:59pm
Oh this is really cool, thanks for starting this! I'll take any/all excuses to write a new screenplay. And more time to write is always fun, but it's funny, I may end up procrastinating anyway. Kind of have a busy week coming up, but I'll try to get something together!
-EJ
Moves Like (Diet) Mick Jagger Screenplay G31 (RomCom)
All my NYCM entries :)
pondsandfrogs View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pondsandfrogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 5:14pm
Oh, and btw: I plugged this unofficial tourney you're doing on the 11:59pm Discord. Hopefully a few folks there see it and decide to join :)

Here's the link if you're not in it, in case you want to join this Discord server! 

In case that didn't work: https://discord.gg/P3rFrK44
-EJ
Moves Like (Diet) Mick Jagger Screenplay G31 (RomCom)
All my NYCM entries :)
PumpkinPatch61 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PumpkinPatch61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

This weekend is round 2 of the Flash Fiction contest.

I think a full week for this practice run should help make more room for it! But if people would rather focus on other things that's ok! 
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PumpkinPatch61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by JCotterill JCotterill wrote:

@PumpkinPatch61, Ivan, I think this sounds like a splendid idea and a great way to get more practice in! Thank you for setting this up and taking the initiative to organise something like this. You're right - we should make the most of this opportunity!

I for one know I need to work on refining my 5-page script structure... please count me in! Big smile I've signed up via the google doc (please let me know if it hasn't worked - Google Docs and I don't always see eye to eye!)

It looks good to me!! Thanks for joining! :D I'm glad you are excited about the idea too!! I will keep you updated through e-mail! :) 
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PumpkinPatch61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by pondsandfrogs pondsandfrogs wrote:

Oh, and btw: I plugged this unofficial tourney you're doing on the 11:59pm Discord. Hopefully a few folks there see it and decide to join :)

Here's the link if you're not in it, in case you want to join this Discord server! 

In case that didn't work: https://discord.gg/P3rFrK44

Thank you for sharing it!! I just joined the Discord! And thanks for joining this!! It might be a small group but I think it'll be awesome anyway! :) 
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PumpkinPatch61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 3:45am
BUMP. 

Don't miss out on this chance to practice before the next round!!! You know you want to!!! LOL
Anthea123 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 6:41am
I really like this idea as I would love to get better at short screenplays, but with flash fiction on this weekend and other stuff next weekI think I'll really struggle to get anything decent done.

But maybe another time when the stars align a little better.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>