NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SSC C2 what assignment did you get?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snarkmaiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 11:13am
Spy / a hovercraft / a diamond

I mean, really, how can you take that prompt set and not lean straight into all the cliches? So I have.

(My sole previous attempt at spy went poorly, so fingers crossed for a better result this time!)
DavidCreighton View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidCreighton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 12:30pm
fantasy/a training ground/a horn

Talk about a lay-up! Not to brag, but I was basically done in two hours.
jacksilver View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksilver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 12:47pm
Crime caper. A hot spring. Counterfeit money.
catnamedeaster View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catnamedeaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by TeeHi TeeHi wrote:

And WHY the frick would NYCM even allow a set of prompts that are nearly identical to a previous comp?

I've seen some very similar prompts repeat as well. In Flash last year I got Hist Fic/A rainforest/A life buoy and in the first round of Short Screenplay there was Hist Fic/A creek/A life buoy, (and let me just say I would have been pissed if I had gotten that prompt again.)

My theory is there aren't a lot of people who do both the screenwriting comps and the flash/short story comps so they borrow the prompts from one to feed the other. There are a handful of us, however who do both, and it's really bad luck for you to draw such a similar prompt across two comps. 
Paula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 1:17pm
Sci-Fi...Everything under the sun seems to have been already written, so I'm a bit clueless atm. I better come up with something soon!
Screenwriting 2023 R1 G8: DEVIL'S RISING
TreeTheGreen View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TreeTheGreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 1:35pm
Rom com / a mom and pop store / a mosquito

I love this prompt but I keep going back and forth on the idea I want to pursue! Hopefully I'll settle on something soon. Pinch
SSC 2021 CH3 | Hold My Hand
Nimhathuna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 1:42pm
Ghost story/a space station/a flute.

I've absolutely nothing at the moment. I keep seeing a Scooby Doo episode play out in my head. LOL
pgleleux View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pgleleux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Popsicle Crows Popsicle Crows wrote:

Originally posted by swilki swilki wrote:

ghost story/re-enactment/bulldozer

excited to get ghost story but not loving the other two - I have a couple of ideas but nothing that really grabs me yet.

Bulldozer kind of ruins it for the other two prompts. The first two go together nicely.

I don't know...maybe the bulldozer is the way they died and their eternity is to relive it over and over...there's your reenactment...

Read R1 Grp 41 A Fighting Chance
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 5:36pm
Action/adventure - viaduct - walking stick. 
Or at least I think the object is walking stick, I forget. I haven't started thinking about it yet, but A/A on a viaduct......hmm.
GenieAZ View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenieAZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by TeeHi TeeHi wrote:

Group 6 / Romance / Thrift Store / Boutonnière

Aside from a few hours of fretful sleep, I haven't stopped crying since I got these prompts. Objectively, they're not bad, but I had romance/flea market/onion rings for FF F1, and I got zero points, so really not relishing another go at it. And WHY the frick would NYCM even allow a set of prompts that are nearly identical to a previous comp?

I'm so upset that I'd skip this round if not for the fact that I FINALLY scrored, in R1 of SSC!

Pah, judges!  I liked your Flash story.  Looking forward to seeing what you do here  :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>