NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SSC 2019: OK - So what did you get?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 24>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote T.E. Bradford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by TheDustyZebra TheDustyZebra wrote:

Originally posted by KeriAnnRiley KeriAnnRiley wrote:

Political Satire
A FRUITERER
Lying

I googled both Political Satire and Fruiterer...at least I know what lying is. 

If orange skin counts as a fruiterer, you've got it made in the shade.

BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!  Love it!
RBJohnson View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RBJohnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 10:18pm
Hi. I'm brand new to this forum and to this "sport." I've been given Romance/a blank check/a sea captain.

If anyone can enlighten me on the odds around here, I'd be grateful. I can't bring myself to count the competitors or even determine the heat count with any certainty. It looks like something in the the vicinity of 5000 coming in, is that right?

Good luck, all!
T.E. Bradford View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote T.E. Bradford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

According to Excel:

32 people per heat (more or less)
150 heats
4728 participants

They had room for 4,800, which explains why I was getting emails stating there was still time to register almost to the last minute.

Hmmm... per my exported spreadsheet from this time last year there were only 4000 total, so this is definitely more! :)
TheDustyZebra View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote TheDustyZebra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by RBJohnson RBJohnson wrote:

Hi. I'm brand new to this forum and to this "sport." I've been given Romance/a blank check/a sea captain.

If anyone can enlighten me on the odds around here, I'd be grateful. I can't bring myself to count the competitors or even determine the heat count with any certainty. It looks like something in the the vicinity of 5000 coming in, is that right?

Good luck, all!

Yeah, it was just a bit under 4800 -- 150 groups of 30-32 each. The good news is, you don't have to beat 4800 people. You have to be in the top 5 of your group, so that's ~27 you have to beat to advance. Same principle for the following rounds. 
100MF2020 R1 G26 If at First You Don't Succeed (Historical Fiction)
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by RBJohnson RBJohnson wrote:

Good luck, all!

Back of the envelope, you're only competing against one person.  They're easily identified if you have a mirror.  Now, go write the best story you know how to write.

There are, more or less, 32 people in a heat.  Of those some percentage won't submit anything, so you need to be in the top five of the remainder.  Now, where this all goes south is where we start defining 'top five'.  That's why I said you only really compete against yourself.
This sig intentionally blank
TheDustyZebra View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDustyZebra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by KittNiss KittNiss wrote:

I've got fairy Tale, repetition and a gunslinger.

I like them. Not sure I can write a good story using them, but I like them Tongue

Yay, finally a fellow 28-er!
100MF2020 R1 G26 If at First You Don't Succeed (Historical Fiction)
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.E. Bradford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by Zblugg Zblugg wrote:

So it's time for me to write my first Political Satire.

Where's group 38 at? PolSat - a Double Standard - a Professor...

So many ways this could go. I had an idea last night, actually, but it grows ever less interesting as time passes... 

Haven't seen any name I recognize in 38. Will I be the only forumite???

Hey Z. :) 
PolSat, eh? I think I've finally reached the point where I'm almost kind of somewhat curious about getting my first PolSat cat. It'll have to wait, though. I've got Drama / Nostalgia / A Chauffeur. 
Jhill View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Originally posted by Jhill Jhill wrote:

Group 65
Romance // False Advertising // A Medical Student

Dead

I suppose apocryphal singles ads would be cliche in this case?

Darn.

I assume so, but I'm sure a good romance writer could make that scenario work beautifully. Unfortunately, I am not a capable romance writer. I'd be more comfortable with a rampaging dinosaur or a space ninja fight. 
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote T.E. Bradford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Jhill Jhill wrote:

Group 65
Romance // False Advertising // A Medical Student

Dead

OMG, I haven't read down the page so I don't know if someone already says this, but Romance and False Advertising had my head going IMMEDIATELY to online dating!!! ROFL

Have fun with it. Try not to stress. You got this. :)
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by T.E. Bradford T.E. Bradford wrote:

Originally posted by Zblugg Zblugg wrote:

So it's time for me to write my first Political Satire.

Where's group 38 at? PolSat - a Double Standard - a Professor...

So many ways this could go. I had an idea last night, actually, but it grows ever less interesting as time passes... 

Haven't seen any name I recognize in 38. Will I be the only forumite???

Hey Z. :) 
PolSat, eh? I think I've finally reached the point where I'm almost kind of somewhat curious about getting my first PolSat cat. It'll have to wait, though. I've got Drama / Nostalgia / A Chauffeur. 

Skewering politics is like fishing with dynamite in an aquarium.  Politics and entertainment are inextricably entwined; it's not about policy or position, nobody cares about intellectual analysis of position (or even if that position has completely changed recently), it's about looking and sounding good.

Politics is satire. 
This sig intentionally blank
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 24>
  Share Topic