NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spoiler etiquette in reviews

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyArkham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spoiler etiquette in reviews
    Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 12:43pm
So I've noticed a lot of folks won't put spoilers for the story in their reviews, or will put spoilers behind tags. Is this the expectation, or just how some folks approach it? I haven't worried about spoilers in my comments but I can start being more careful.
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 12:53pm

Once upon a time I used to add "SPOILERS BELOW"  at the top of my comment if I was going to talk about something that might give away a twist or an ending, but now since the forums has given us this lovely
Spoiler Spoiler

BBcode
I try to use it if my review is going to contain story spoilers.

It might be overkill, as hopefully most people read the story itself before reading other people's comments... but sometimes, especially for first page reviews, you might see something that might ruin the story. I just hate to be the one that ruins the surprise for a reader. (I personally do not read ANY  other comments before leaving my own review, because I do not like to feel like my reply is influenced by anyone else's observations.)
amlewi08 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlewi08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 10:10am
I've also noticed a lot more "comments in white" kinds of scenarios this round. Which, yay for no spoilers, but also if I'm reading on my phone I have to highlight them, copy them, and then paste them into my notes to read. However, a small price to pay for cordiality.  haha

I also typically make a point to read the story before other people's comments, just to make sure I can't be influenced by their thoughts.  I usually will read them after, and then maybe read the story a second time, but by that point there is nothing to spoil. haha.  I did accidentally read the first comment before the story on one entry this round, and the first sentence was literally describing the ending of the piece.  Which was a little frustrating.

On my end, I try not to reveal the actual twists and unexpected events, but I don't shy away from mentioning that they're there.  I think it's just kind of polite.  

Post Reply Post Reply