NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So... who's quarantining themselves?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Originally posted by Cat Logan Cat Logan wrote:

Not that I like being pessimistic, but this isn't ever going back to what we used to call normal...We are looking at deaths from 20K to 2 million, depending on our containment efforts, which have sadly been implemented about 2 months too late. 
I actually believe there are people in charge who think a population cull is a good idea.Broken Heart Cry

Actually, we're closer to six months too late.  If you think this didn't exist before the press got it you're not paying attention.  This has been in the wild since at least October, we just didn't know what we were looking at.  When you present to EMS or the emergency room with 'flu-like symptoms' guess what we write in your chart?

You're going to believe what you choose to believe.  You are welcome to ignore what I believe.  I'm going on vacation in May if I can, and in September if I can, and in the mean time my stress levels over this are zero, because this one doesn't scare me much.  I've seen far worse, and far worse is coming some day.

It's a shame calmer heads were not allowed to prevail.  This will turn into a multi-trillion dollar blow to the people who could afford it least. That's the real danger from this.

I was beginning to wonder if there were people not freaking out...should have figured Random. 
SSC 2020 R1 G77: The Artist Is Not Present
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 2:52am
Where I am at there are not too many case yet, but with everyone trying to get out of Bangkok back to their homes I see this changing - can't blame them for wanting to get home when they can't work or eat.  Everything in the country is closed, including the borders, and no incoming foreigners by air or land, everyone wears a face mask.

So, between food runs I sit and wait for my next contest!

Edited by Suave - 30 Mar 2020 at 7:12am
SSC R1 Northern Zoo
[URL=https:[/URL]
Dekay View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 7:38pm
I'm an introvert. My husband's sister recently hit hard times and moved in with us with her four children. Then this happened. I'm lucky to be able to work from home. I'm lucky to be able to pay the bills. I'm lucky for so many other things and I am thankful daily. I have to remember all these things because living in a house with 9 other people and no place for myself is killing me. I haven't written since they moved in. 

But I am lucky. 
LyndaD View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LyndaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 8:31pm
Not freaking out, but have stayed home and mostly isolated since my school closed March 13. I'm on my third week of teaching from home. If I stay isolated, it should be safe for me to see my new granddaughter when she comes home from the hospital in three or so weeks.
I did take a socially distant walk with a friend today, and we participate in virtual wine tastings compliments of Zoom a couple times a week.
Preyingcloud View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preyingcloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 2:57pm
I wish I was self-isolating 100% but I'm an essential worker and I am sure some of our frontline staff will fall ill, then I'll be out in the community again instead of sitting at my desk (at home) listening to my husband (talk to himself) and my parrot (scream).

Since I've been exposed to all manner of pathogens, I'm not particularly concerned for myself. Most stuff dies with the host. In fact, the only things that make me anxious as stepping foot in places with norovirus outbreaks (pick an end, would ya??) or bed bug infestations. I can't even when it comes to bed bugs. I'm covered in goose bumps as we speak.
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 4:08pm
I've been resisting the urge to drive to a hospital and demand a coxsackie virus test.  Maybe even a rhinovirs screening.  Rotavirus.  Noro/norwalk.  I've lost count of the infectious diseases I've waded through wearing only a pair of gloves with pore size roughly three orders of magnitude larger than virus particles, and maybe a mask that I threw on in a hurry.  Sometimes goggles.  I probably collapsed in Trauma 2 cutting the blood-soaked clothes off some MVA/GS/CTD patient while trying to get them intubated and run a large-bore on a BP of 40/palp years ago and just didn't realize it.  

That's what dark scrubs are for.  You can't really see blood stains that well.
This Sig Intentionally Blank
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic