NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So...who's in for SSC?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Lookit There Lookit There wrote:

Originally posted by TheDustyZebra TheDustyZebra wrote:

Call me crazy - I'm in. 
Hopefully I will make it past the first round for a change.

You're crazy. So am I, because I'm in, too. And I, also, hope to finally make it past a first round.

Like many others, my problem with this one is that there's too much time and too large a word count. I do better at the last minute, and 1000 is more my wheelhouse. But we shall see. Onward and upward!
I'm pretty sure that's my problem, too. Far too long to obsess and tinker. It not only affects me emotionally, but takes a lot of the juice out of my writing.

Just do what I do with real deadlines, put everything off until the last minute!
SSC R1 G87: The Road to Rakvene 3rd
SSC R2 G20: Beer and Trembling
Sponsored Links

nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

Just do what I do with real deadlines, put everything off until the last minute!

I feel so seen. Shocked
SSC1 Between Heartbeats-2nd
SSC2 Down Payment - HM
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 9:29pm
I'm in!! My spirit-comedian, Dorothy Zbornak, and I are back and badder than ever. Bring the competition!! Fun will abound! Smile
< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_off">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_highcontrast">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_highcontrast_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_grayscale">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_grayscale_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert_grayscale">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black_back">
https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic20879_post271074.html#271074 Round 2 story
TheDustyZebra View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDustyZebra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

Originally posted by TheDustyZebra TheDustyZebra wrote:

Call me crazy - I'm in. 
Hopefully I will make it past the first round for a change.

You're crazy. So am I, because I'm in, too. And I, also, hope to finally make it past a first round.

Like many others, my problem with this one is that there's too much time and too large a word count. I do better at the last minute, and 1000 is more my wheelhouse. But we shall see. Onward and upward!
I'm pretty sure that's my problem, too. Far too long to obsess and tinker. It not only affects me emotionally, but takes a lot of the juice out of my writing.

That is my philosophy as well -- which means I have a larger word count to do at the last minute! I know it doesn't have to be right there, but I don't believe in coming in too much under quota, as that would be a waste.
SSC R1 G28 Fairy Tale/Repetition/Gunslinger Hurt No More (or, The Princess and the Gunslinger)
Rosie J View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rosie J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 8:43am
Due to crazy January work commitments and Flash Fiction fatigue, I'll be sitting this SSC out I think. But very very much looking forward to following the comp and seeing what you brave lot all come up with!

Best of luck everyone Clap
R4 (Sci Fi): What Hope Sounds Like
eswan27 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eswan27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 12:43pm
In! FF is definitely my preferred genre and is my favorite of the NYCM events. Short Story is a good ol’ character-building exercise. And... I mean *my* character. Very helpful to read others’ attack plan on this thread. I suspect my “wait until the pressure of the final 48 hours hits” may have been part of my previous crash/burn experiences.
beckyrcollins View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beckyrcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 4:45am
I'm out for this round. Flash fiction was enough of a leap of faith for me, I don't want an extra 1,500 words to second guess! 

Nah, it's just the timing of this comp that fails me (or the other way around). I'll surely be back next time. 

Good luck all! Smash iiiiit xxx
SWC R2 Clean Intentions (Thriller)
SWC R1 Released (Ghost)
Tim G View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 5:25am
Originally posted by beckyrcollins beckyrcollins wrote:

I'm out for this round. Flash fiction was enough of a leap of faith for me, I don't want an extra 1,500 words to second guess! 

Nah, it's just the timing of this comp that fails me (or the other way around). I'll surely be back next time. 

Booooo. I'll miss you at Beta particularly!
CH2 Screenplay: Blood In The Water (Historical Fiction)
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 7:15am
Originally posted by Tim G Tim G wrote:

Originally posted by beckyrcollins beckyrcollins wrote:

Booooo. I'll miss you at Beta particularly!

Happy New Year, all.

Speaking of Beta, how does it work in SSC? Is it a bit more... scattered?...given the longer time frame and people working in different ways? Or is there more alpha and beta reading? Just curious.
SSC-'19 By Brighton Beach (Ghost)
SW'19 R1 H5 An Apple for the Boatman (Ghost)
Tim G View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 7:35am
Originally posted by fioOxf fioOxf wrote:

Speaking of Beta, how does it work in SSC? Is it a bit more... scattered?...given the longer time frame and people working in different ways? Or is there more alpha and beta reading? Just curious.

Yes it's all just a little less manic.
CH2 Screenplay: Blood In The Water (Historical Fiction)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
  Share Topic