NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So...who's in for SSC?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 8:06pm
Funny story. My dad texted me the other day and said - hey, Are you crazy busy? Could I sign you up for a short story contest for Xmas?

I had to break it to him I was already registered.  

I have this weird love/hate with SS. I procrastinate in R1 and pretty much do all my writing the last 2 days & my sweet spot is like 1800-2200 words. It feels crazy after Fkash to leave unused words on the table, but still I do. 

Edited by nod1v1ng - 12 Dec 2018 at 8:24pm
Sponsored Links

steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

Funny story. My dad texted me the other day and said - hey, Are you crazy busy? Could I sign you up for a short story contest for Xmas?

I have this weird love/hate with SS. I don’t procrastinate in R1 and pretty much do all my writing the last 2 days & my sweet spot is like 1800-2200 words. It feels crazy after Fkash to leave unused words on the table, but still I do. 

That is so heckin' sweet!! I would cry happy tears if my dad ever did that for me. Usually my dad just texts me about his latest diet fad. LOL
ShSt19 R1 G129 ~ Bed Ridden (Crime Caper)
ShSc18 C3 G002 ~ Pox Party (Comedy)
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by steph9289 steph9289 wrote:

I have this weird love/hate with SS. I don’t procrastinate in R1 and pretty much do all my writing the last 2 days & my sweet spot is like 1800-2200 words. It feels crazy after Fkash to leave unused words on the table, but still I do. 

That is so heckin' sweet!! I would cry happy tears if my dad ever did that for me. Usually my dad just texts me about his latest diet fad. LOL

My dad is writing a spy novel, my mum is a retired English teacher, & my uncle (in his retirement) runs a community writing group out of his local bookstore. It’s sort of in the blood over here.  :)
BeckyG515 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeckyG515 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 8:37pm
I'm in. It will be my 1st time for SSC.
R1 Gr118Unreliable
Maddoris View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maddoris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 9:07pm
I'm in too!

This was my first attempt at the flash fiction competition and I loved the whole experience (very happy with my HM in round 2 as a newbie Smile).  Can't wait to try the short story comp!
dashesndots View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dashesndots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 9:33pm
In again for my 3rd attempt.  In 2017 I got nothing, then in 2018 I got an HM in the first round, so my goal for 2019 is to at least make it to round 2.  I did enjoy trying out flash and will probably try again next year, but I definitely am looking forward to the SSC's 2500 word limit, haha!
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 9:39pm

I procrastinate in R1 and pretty much do all my writing the last 2 days 

*raises hand* This is my big worry. Eight days? The probability of my not finishing anything until the last minute is directly proportionate to the amount of time I have. The more time you give me, the more I will put things off until the last minute.
bleustick View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bleustick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 9:57pm
Registering tomorrow. I probably would be all about it either way, having enjoyed my first NYCM challenge so far (this one; FFC 2018 is my first). But now that I have decided to gather this stuff together into some peculiar vaguely flower-themed anthology, I feel like I have a mission to continue. Yes, that means I am that obnoxious. More flowers right into SSC 2019. Though I may go back and do other groups' prompts and so forth to fill out the rest of the collection beyond that... eventually even I am going to want to move beyond flowers ^_~.
FFC 1: No Room For Flowers * 2: Flowers Grew Through Them * 3: Just Us Flower Eaters * 4: Nothing But Flowers
SSC 1: Perfect Little Squares
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by hanalyst hanalyst wrote:

Haven't done it before, but the slightly different prompt approach intrigues me! Just signed up, along with an old coworker who saw my "please give me $5 off" FB post.

Mostly I'm just nervous that 8 days will be too much time for me to stay focused and that I'll completely shoot myself in the foot. (I work best under more imminent/absurd deadlines.) Or perhaps the long game is just a part of adulting that I need to woman-up and accept? Confused

I am in.  Best to get registered early in this one as they run outa places, I think 4,000 is the cut off now!

Edited by Suave - 13 Dec 2018 at 7:24am
sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 11:49pm

Who is in for SSC?  

ME ME ME !!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
  Share Topic