NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So...what is historical fiction?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 14>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaHaBone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 8:24am
I have a similar issue with the "fairy tale" genre.  What exactly defines that?  We already have a "Fantasy
 category, so the inclusion of fantastical elements might not be necessary.  Simple, archetypal characters?  Happy endings? Folklore stories within stories?  Talking animals?
R1:H44:Pressing the Flesh
R2:H3:Beef
BlackGate View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackGate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 8:27am
NYCM could shut down this whole issue by popping some basic definitions on their website of the categories they use. I bet the same questions are asked every year about some of these overlapping genres.

P
DBA Lehane View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBA Lehane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 10:13am
Ultimately though, it's what the judges decide...and this year they do seem really open to genre bending.  I certainly know in previous years they've been hard on anything that goes too far outside a genre.  It's that inconsistency that makes it difficult...or, as some may say, exciting.
Screenplay Challenge 2020 Finalist.
SSC 2014 Finalist.
FFC 2015 4th Placed Finalist.
BlackGate View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackGate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 10:37am
That's the benefit though, the definitions would be for the judges as much as the writers. Everyone on the same page would be great.

Idealist perhaps :)

P
MaHaBone View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaHaBone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 10:13pm
It has been my experience that creative folk who also have a mind for logistics are a rare thing indeed.  Which is strange because I think could logistics requires a good deal of imagination.
R1:H44:Pressing the Flesh
R2:H3:Beef
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 12:12am
Originally posted by BlackGate BlackGate wrote:

NYCM could shut down this whole issue by popping some basic definitions on their website of the categories they use. I bet the same questions are asked every year about some of these overlapping genres.
P

Oh, yeah ... like that's ever going to happen!  The same questions are asked every ROUND!  Maybe we should propose a list of genre definitions and examples for both contestants and judges. 

RE:  FAIRYTALE

I have had both Fairy Tale and Fantasy ... I believe a Fairy Tale is more a fable, a cautionary tale or something that might use magical creatures, like fairies.  It should resolve itself with the protag realising something through magical means. 

On the other hand, my Fantasyland trilogy ... NOX NAILPOUNDER, DOX COFFINKNOCKER and BAX BALLASLIFTER were all prompted as Fantasies, but I smerged together all kinds of fairy tale creatures and fables.

marnie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 8:14am

Edited by marnie - 13 Jan 2015 at 8:13pm
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 8:34am
Originally posted by marnie marnie wrote:

Originally posted by Scarlet Screenwriter Scarlet Screenwriter wrote:

Maybe we should propose a list of genre definitions and examples for both contestants and judges.  <span style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">
</span>

The big problem with this is...and this is TRULY NOT meant to be argumentative...not everyone has the same definition. I know you're sure yours is the right one, as I'm sure mine is the right one. During this particular challenge, the judges went with both sides, with a very diverse top 5. To set restrictive boundaries based on what only some people think the definition is, limits creativity and cuts off people who have a different opinion. 

I think the difference between the sides might be how people categorize writing. In another thread there was a discussion about whether or not writing is art. IMO, it's art. And because it's art, it's boundaries are less constricted to allow for creativity. You, SS, said you consider writing a business (and sport). Those two categories are more restrictive, with rules and definite boundaries. But...not everyone feels that way so I don't know how imposing that opinion on everyone could possibly work. 

IMO, judging art is a cr@p shoot. It's totally subjective based on the judge's taste and beliefs. Setting parameters would make it seem like a dictatorship, instead of a creative atmosphere. These are my opinions, again, not meant to be argumentative. There are two sides and I think both deserve to be heard.

Jesus Crisco, Marnie ... If you don't want to be argumentative, don't weigh in with arguments! I was proposing that NYC prepare some guidelines, not bring commandments down from the mount! There are many more that two sides.

If there are not some sort of guidelines or standards, how the hell is anyone supposed to know which road to take? Dictatorship vs. Creative Atmosphere? Where is this crap coming from? People here are asking for advice and you're spouting some sort of Jersey Shore Jingoism.

OK, writing is neither art or business ... It's a discipline. It has to conform to some sort form and line. That's what people are asking for, and some of the judges need to consider. Not a free for all.

marnie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 8:45am

Edited by marnie - 13 Jan 2015 at 8:14pm
StephwithanF View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StephwithanF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 10:45am
Group Hug?

Scarlet,

I think you knee-jerk reflex responded.  The post and overall tone wasn't nearly as argumentative as prior ones.  

marnie,

Any sort of contest is always based on rules. This one in particular, is time based, page limit based, and prompt based.  If you also agree that someone should be following the same formatting for this contest, then some parameters on definition should also apply.  

The freedom of interpretation is in what they do with the prompts, not how they interpret the definition of the genre.

We shouldn't have to guess what the judges are looking for and we shouldn't be penalized because they never set the boundaries (but we are).

Anyway,
 GO HIST FICT! Wooo!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 14>
  Share Topic