NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - So, I need a new screenwriting tool/software rec
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So, I need a new screenwriting tool/software rec

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So, I need a new screenwriting tool/software rec
    Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 5:31am
I've always just used Storywriter (which is gone now). I know, I know...it's kindergarten level, but I loved that it was dead simple and intuitive. I don't like to think about anything but writing or futz with bloated software. So, I'd appreciate any and all recommendations for the best replacement given my past preference and lazy tendencies.

I'm currently looking at Trelby as a download, and StudioBinder as a cloud-based solution. I lean toward online-based tools. Please help! This will be my first comp without my beloved, dumbed-down, goofy Storywriter. Thank you in advance.
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 6:04am
I'm playing around with WriterDuet and it seems pretty good. Is this as simple as it gets?
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 6:16am
I am SO upset about Storywriter going away. It was my favorite to use! Cry
#amrevising
bartelbysamsa View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartelbysamsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 6:22am
I've been using Writer Duet for this competition and really like how easy to use it is. However, I would massively caution not to rely on the autosave feature - i.e. save manually periodically - and keep a word file or some other record of what you've written. I have lost work a number of times using it, which kind of undercuts any benefits...
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 7:09am
Originally posted by steph9289 steph9289 wrote:

I am SO upset about Storywriter going away. It was my favorite to use! Cry

RIGHT?! Meh.
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 7:10am
Originally posted by bartelbysamsa bartelbysamsa wrote:

I've been using Writer Duet for this competition and really like how easy to use it is. However, I would massively caution not to rely on the autosave feature - i.e. save manually periodically - and keep a word file or some other record of what you've written. I have lost work a number of times using it, which kind of undercuts any benefits...

That sounds terrifying. I'll have to remember to save in a Word doc and give myself enough time to reload/reformat if necessary.

Gosh, I miss Storywriter. Cry
NYCNewbie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYCNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 8:57am
Hey Verna,

I've just sent you a PM about this.

Paula :)
Joni View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 9:19am
I love writerduet. I started with the free version for the first comp, but since it will only save up to three in the free version, I upgraded so that I pay monthly at $6.99 for unlimited. This keep the cloud version, but also allows you to install the program on your computer and you can auto-save to it. I have the app for it on my phone, which is cloud-based as well. So I can work on a script on my computer, then if I'm out somewhere and have an idea or thought, I can pull up the app and work on the script right then, which will be easily accessible when I get back to my computer later. I tried a couple of other programs, but once I played around with this one I really liked it. It has a lot of cool features, but it's pretty user-friendly, imo. It does still have bugs every now and then, but it's a really small company, and I've had to contact them with questions/issues on facebook, with an almost immediate response and really helpful answers. 
T.E. Bradford View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.E. Bradford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 12:55pm
I actually started with Trelby, and switched to WriterDuet -- which I find MUCH easier, although like Joni I'll probably have to man up and get the paid version at some point. Plus you can download your finished product into multiple file types, which is nice.

--Tracy (the other one). ;-)

Edited by T.E. Bradford - 19 Jul 2019 at 12:56pm
manifestlynot View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manifestlynot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 12:59pm
I’ll give a rec to Celtx - you only get three projects at a time in the free version, but within those projects you can add as many scripts as you want.
Rhyming R1: Lionheart (Hist fic)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>