NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Signature Links to Comment page

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Signature Links to Comment page
    Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 8:35pm
Finally getting some time to read and finding it hard to search out people by their signatures… so here's a how to guide for setting up your signature for ease of use:

Have the link in your signature go to the FORUM TOPIC you started, NOT the story itself. (er, did I say that loudly enough?) If you have it going to the story, I can ready your beautiful story, but I can't leave you any feedback without taking the time to search you out.

Include at least your Group #, Genre, and Title in the name of the link.

The code to paste into your signature box should look something like this (this is the code for my signature):

[URL=http://forums.nycmidnight.com/round-1-group-37-action-adventure-fish-tale_topic10867_post118060.html]Round 1 Group 37 (Action/Adventure) "Fish Tale"[/URL]

[URL=link to forum] "What you want people to read" [/URL]

Note: when you go to copy your forum page URL, make sure you delete anything after the .html (like #38740 or =pg3 or anything like that) so that we just go to your first post and not somewhere in the middle of the comment section.

Besides allowing us to comment easily, this will also keep any links private. Remember, the Creative Writing Corner and other main forum pages are viewable by the public, but the sub-forum where we post our stories is private.

Having trouble with the code? Leave a message here and I'll adapt it for your own personal signature box...

FFC 2018

Ch1 Gr62 -- The Other Side of the Coin (Thriller)
tcFlash View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 9:14pm
It really does help when we set up our signature line in this way.  It is difficult to navigate the forums and that little tip will help a lot.  But I do have to say, I've had mine set up this way from the beginning, but I haven't had a comment in a day and a half.  I've tested the links and they work for me.  I'm not whining, just curious, I guess.  There are lot's of stories, and I've read many of them already.  I do hope people will take your advice and set up their signature pages.
plkphoto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 9:38pm
I've got yours on my "to read" list - but I had a busy end of the week and didn't get around to many before now. Got some time this weekend though… Geek
FFC 2018

tcFlash View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 9:47pm
Thanks plkphoto, sorry about the whiny tone.  Thanks for putting up those instructions.  If people follow them, it will make the forums much more enjoyable.  
plkphoto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 10:06pm
I've got a long to read list, but you and several others that were super helpful during the Short Story Challenge are right up the top right after the people who have commented on my story despite my not being around to return the favour… Tongue
FFC 2018

Maximum Bob View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximum Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 10:19pm
Hello,

I followed your advice regarding the signature. It works. Thanks very much. 

Could you tell me how to make my story title link to the story, instead of having to paste the complete web address on my post.

Thanks very much,

Bob
CHARLEY   
plkphoto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 2:14am
Sure - I'll do that on your story, though so the link's not visible here.
FFC 2018

mkinder View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 8:42pm
I just changed mine. I had it linked to the story before. It should work now. Thanks for the advice. I was wondering why I hadn't gotten any new posts. 
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 3:40am
Best way to get feedback is to (a) read, evaluate, and post feedback on someone else's work, and (b) make sure your story-post link is in your signature.

People are pretty good about returning the favor.
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

Psycho78 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psycho78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 12:01pm
So, I finally got the signature link to work...yea!!! Any tips on how to link "The Title" in your post to the actual story? I have a big glaring link just chillin in my post and it looks like ass...haha.

Jim

Edited by Psycho78 - 26 Sep 2015 at 12:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>