NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Short Story - who’s ready?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Short Story - who’s ready?
    Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 7:28pm
I signed up for the short story contest this year! Last year I quit contests for at least 6 months to work on my novel. I’m excited to be back!

Who else is excited? Who’s in? What are your hopes for this contest?

Can’t wait!

-Alex

Edited by northernwriter - 10 Jan 2022 at 7:29pm
Microfiction 2021: 4th place overall
Flash Fiction 2020: 8th place overall
Kneazle View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kneazle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 7:40pm
Last year I signed up but didn't end up entering - I was super busy at work and got a tough combo of prompts but I'm excited to actually write something this year.

If I can make through to the second round that would progress!
cford View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 8:19pm
Excited but apprehensive.
Been enjoying the flash and micro formats but haven't done the Short Story yet!
Not sure if the 8 days will be a help or hindrance, distracted by life will be a lot more of an issue over the week rather then the bunker down and do it of the 1 and 2 days in the other comps. 
Fingers crossed for favourable prompts and creative inspiration :) 
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 8:45pm
Ready - I think not!
Looking forward to it - u bet!
Genre I have never had?
Romance
Romcom
Pol satire
Mystery

I really don't want to get the Pol Satire, anything else is fine,
well cept for spy, have had it 7 times and hate it.

Edited by Suave - 10 Jan 2022 at 8:46pm
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 8:46pm
Really looking forward to it, though I know I'll go through my usual 'urgh' moment 24 hours after the prompts drop and I haven't hit on an idea. 
But the first year, I bombed in round 1 (with one of my favourite stories) then second year, I made it to the semis, and loved two of my stories. Then I bailed completely, last year - so... I'm hoping for an 'odd number year/even number year' pattern. We'll see. Smile 

Edited by fioOxf - 13 Jan 2022 at 12:27am
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 9:41pm
I'm looking forward to it :) Still waiting for NYCM to give me one of my best genres though: sci-fi! I'm hoping for that or crime caper round 1, as it's the only word count that makes crime caper sound kinda fun to me

Good luck everyone! Can't wait for prompts

Edited by taaaylor - 10 Jan 2022 at 9:41pm
MF250 R2: How Space Fell in Love with Time

FFC Final: A Day Like Any Other

SSC 2021 winner
iress View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 9:46pm
Thank you for putting the post here so I have somewhere to channel my excitement! Yay! I am antsy to see the prompts! (!!!!)

Last year, short story was the very first NYCM comp I entered and I got an HM in R1 which I was totally ecstatic over. It hooked me for the rest of the year. Now that I've been trained to write in two days with the other comps, I'm actually nervous about having 8 days, lol. 

I think I might tell myself I only have two days so I push out something to work on throughout the week. I'll have to make some kind of countdown clock and then submit it to my other email at 11.59.

NMiller View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 10:09pm
I am very excited to stretch my short story muscles. Have been writing tons of flash but it would be nice to have some breathing room to develop a fuller story. Looking forward to reading what other people write as well.

Also, looking forward to something other than AA and Thriller....anything really.

Edited by NMiller - 10 Jan 2022 at 10:10pm
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by iress iress wrote:

Thank you for putting the post here so I have somewhere to channel my excitement! Yay! I am antsy to see the prompts! (!!!!)

Last year, short story was the very first NYCM comp I entered and I got an HM in R1 which I was totally ecstatic over. It hooked me for the rest of the year. Now that I've been trained to write in two days with the other comps, I'm actually nervous about having 8 days, lol. 

I think I might tell myself I only have two days so I push out something to work on throughout the week. I'll have to make some kind of countdown clock and then submit it to my other email at 11.59.

I had the very same experience in my first try at NYCM, 
short story and HM, and it had the same effect, haha, hooked for life.
Kneazle View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kneazle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 10:37pm
My first one I thought I had more time than I did and ended up writing the story in a mad dash in one afternoon while I was also oncall for work (it was a public/bank holiday) so I was please with some good feedback considering.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
  Share Topic