NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Short Story - Who’s in?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanetM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 11:06pm
I wish I knew how to quit you, NYCMidnight. I'm in again! 
R1 Gr124 Short Story
Abigail and the Poisoned Pond
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 11:57pm
I'm in! I'm so totally pumped! I'm not sure how many years I've done it. Two or three? Anyway, woo hoo!! Beer
A.J. Gemick View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote A.J. Gemick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 12:33am
I'm in!  Very 1st time too (both for NYC and for writing competitions in general).  I haven't written any short stories in eons however (like since high school... so the mid-90s. eek).  I've been writing (or attempting to write more accurately) novels sporadically over the years, but only recently I've been trying to get more serious about it. And stumbled across NYC and thought, what the hell?  Maybe could be a good exercise/kick in the pants to get me more back into the mindset of seriously taking the time to write and create.  

Certainly could be fun to be forced to think outside the box by getting a genre I don't normally write in (mainly fantasy/sci-fi). 

Anyway, that's me.  Total newbie here.  Be kind. ;-) 
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 6:47am
Originally posted by A.J. Gemick A.J. Gemick wrote:

I'm in!  Very 1st time too (both for NYC and for writing competitions in general).  I haven't written any short stories in eons however (like since high school... so the mid-90s. eek).  I've been writing (or attempting to write more accurately) novels sporadically over the years, but only recently I've been trying to get more serious about it. And stumbled across NYC and thought, what the hell?  Maybe could be a good exercise/kick in the pants to get me more back into the mindset of seriously taking the time to write and create.  

This is exactly why I joined up two years ago, and it WORKED. Good luck to you!!
Micro#1 - One More Day 6th
Micro#2 - Scavengers
lmcollins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lmcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 8:06am
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

[QUOTE=lmcollins]Exactly! I figure even if I only write one story to completion it will be more than I would have written next week!!!! Good luck!

If you want to quote someone so they know to whom you're speaking, click on "quote" instead of "reply" like I did here. It'll make commenting easier!

ETA: Also where in Newfoundland? I was just in Corner Brook in September.
[/QUOT

Other coast!!!! Just outside St. John's. I wish we were starting tonight because we are getting a mega storm that will go into Saturday! And when Newfoundlanders say things like weather bomb and snowmagetton it is going to be bad. They are predicting power outages so I just hop it won't delay me getting the prompts!!!!! 
A.J. Gemick View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A.J. Gemick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 9:53am
Originally posted by chrissie0707 chrissie0707 wrote:

This is exactly why I joined up two years ago, and it WORKED. Good luck to you!!

Thank you!!  That's very reassuring to hear!  Thumbs Up
Lucie-Bee View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucie-Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 10:00am
Originally posted by northernwriter northernwriter wrote:

I tried to say no to the NYCM 2020 Short Story competition. I really did. I’m supposed to be working on my novel and a screenplay. But who am I kidding? I would have spent the time on the forums checking out the prompts and wishing I had joined instead of working on my WIP. So I will see you all Friday!

Who else will be here?

-Alex

Likewise, Alex... but the NYC "last day to register" email got me! Life has been hectic, so I'm actually looking forward to losing myself in 2500 words or less.

Great to see so many familiar folks here! Wishing everyone the best of luck.
SS2020 R1
SS2019 R1 (HM)
SS2018 R1 (HM)
mudarcie1 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudarcie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 10:37am
I'm in, and I'm excited! Thus far I have only done flash so this one will be different!
dsanders View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 10:40am
I am in. Looking forward to this weekend. Good luck everyone
Joh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Joh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 1:20pm
I'm in.  First timer here.  Scared and excited...and ready to write!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
  Share Topic